It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2012, 06:15 PM   #1
(female)

d9r17 HB User
Help with Stiff ankle problems...

Hi! I am new to this board. I had an inversion sprain of my right ankle back in March 2009. The x-ray showed a small piece of bone detachment. After the initial sprain I was given an aircast and PT was prescribed. I did PT from April 2009 until December 2009 with no real progress. Ever since the sprain I have had trouble doing squats. I do not have the dorsi flexion on that foot. When I squat I feel a sharp pain on the top of my ankle. I started physical therapy again in March 2010 until October 2010. Still no real progress. I have recently started going to a massage therapist who has helped break up the scar tissue on the inside of my foot. However I still have pain on the top of my foot. I started playing kickball 2 weeks ago and the pain on the top of my foot has drastically increased. My ankle is so stiff that I usually have to force my a squat through the pain. I have a doctor's appt July 10th and am afraid he will just prescribe more PT. I have done over 15 months of PT with Zero progress.

Have any of you experienced this type of injury or symptoms? I know that everyone is different and progress can be slowed. At this point I am tired of not running through the pain and waking up with a stiff ankle that makes me limp. Any help is much appreciated.

Thank you!

D

Old 07-01-2012, 07:29 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Help with Stiff ankle problems...

Sharp pain with squatting, eh? That's pretty specific.

I had that following several ankle sprains. It eventually got pretty bad, and I wound up having surgery to remove some scar tissue inside the ankle joint. It worked perfectly!

Now, you might or might not need surgery. First things first, [I]stop squatting.[/I] Forcing it into a position it doesn't want to go to is just making the swelling and irritation worse.

Ask your doctor for a referral to an orthopedist, preferably a board-certified foot and ankle surgeon. That's the best person to assess the problem.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-18-2012, 06:56 PM   #3
(female)

d9r17 HB User

So I went to the doctor today. I had an x-ray taken and there is a bubble on my talus. I actually took a picture of my x-ray. I am getting an MRI shortly to determine what caused the bone cyst. He did say it was OCD of the Talus. Any way I can upload the x-ray? I am wondering if any of you have had the same exact bone cyst.

Thanks
D

Last edited by d9r17; 07-18-2012 at 06:57 PM.

Old 07-18-2012, 09:08 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Okay, OCD is osteochondral defect. What that means is, the talus was injured, maybe that bone chip that the original x-ray found, and now there's a hole, or an area of dead or soft bone. It can sometimes be repaired through surgery, either drilling holes in it to stimulate new growth, or putting in a plug of bone taken from a donor or a large bone on another part of your body.

See what the MRI shows and how big it is.

Old 07-19-2012, 03:54 AM   #5
(female)

d9r17 HB User

Thanks Jane! Is surgery the only option for OCD?? It the bubble on my talus actually looks like a door stop and according to the OS that is probably why I cannot dorsiflex my ankle. What should the MRI show? I guess what is the purpose of the MRI if the x-ray shows it??

Does anyone know any good physicians in the DC/Baltimore area who have had this surgery??

Old 07-19-2012, 10:08 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

The MRI will show it more closely and help the doctors figure out exactly what shape your talus is in and what the best treatment is.

Old 07-20-2012, 07:14 AM   #7
(female)

d9r17 HB User

Oh okay. Are there any alternative to surgery treatments that you are aware of? Thank you again! My MRI is scheduled for July 27th and my doc appt is on Aug 6th.

Closed Thread