It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2012, 07:03 AM   #1
(female)

katiesfeet HB User
Looking for advice

I fractured my foot in April, wore the walking cast and my foot is officially healed. When I walk too much, do experience pain in the foot. Have high arched feet, a bunion, and former mortons neuroma sufferer, that's been under control for few years. What kind of shoes should I be wearing to help the pain? Need dress sandals for the office, are Aravon good? Any brands recommended? What characteristics should I be looking for in a shoe at this point? THANKS

Old 07-03-2012, 02:29 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Zerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB User
Re: Looking for advice

Hard to say for sure, without knowing what you actually broke. Sandals will be tough. I crushed my calcaneous and talus, and a year out I was started wearing lighter footwear, but only around the house. I couldnt wear them all day. You may have to choose between comfort and pain.

Look for something that is advertised as walking sandal or such, not a pretty pair. Keens are one pair that have been mentioned. My foot was to big to fit in them last time I tried. I have a pair of Propet walking sandals, forget exact model. Ok for around the house.

Besides cushion, you may find you need ankle support. If so, you probably won't like it, but you will need 6" or more of lace up shoe or boot.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-30-2012, 10:03 AM   #3
(female)

katiesfeet HB User

Thank you for the suggestions and advice Zerk. The Keen and Prophet shoes are great for casual wear. Does anyone know of a low heeled dress sandal that is comfortable and dressy for the office? Fall is around the corner, so I'll probably need low heeled pumps with a square or roomy toe box. My neighbor has mentioned Aravon and I like the way they look. The pain has slowly gotten better. Any other shoe suggestions? Thank you

Old 07-30-2012, 10:59 AM   #4
(female)

BubbleGuppy HB UserBubbleGuppy HB User

Heels after a ankle/foot sprain/break is a... NO NO.

No matter HOW low they happen to be: NO NO NO NO NO.

I learned that from experience. My choir teacher FORCED me to wear heels (they were really just flats with about a half an inch "heel") and it caused me to sprain the heck out of my ankle, and a weight bearing break isn't usually healed COMPLETELY for about a year after-- I know that from experience too.

Got the back of my heel crushed by my horse (chipped off pieces of the heel bone and ruptured my Achilles tendon, along with MASSIVE amounts of skin) I'm SO lucky that I didn't need surgery for it, but after it was healed (3 months in a cast... good God.) I was in a brace, then at the 6 point mark, I had to wear heels for a concert (same STUPID choir teacher) and my ankle rolled because my heel hit a cord and I went down and reinjured my Achilles and got a bone bruise on my heel, just from ROLLING MY ANKLE.

It's just... Don't do it, man. If you know what's best for you, don't do it.

Listen to what your body is telling you. Don't push yourself. As stated: comfort/not too pretty or pain/style?

Not everything that's super cute is horrendous for your feet, but a lot are.

Old 07-31-2012, 06:35 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Zerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB User

Ya I can't wear heals, such as cowboy or slip on boots. I used to wear engineer boots. Feels like I am walking down hill, and doesn't go good. Plus the lack of ankle support.

If you wear dress pants you could wear boots. They make black boots for cops and military that can be shined. Ya they don't look the best. Depends if you like pain or pretty shoes.

Old 08-03-2012, 02:46 AM   #6
(female)

Amethy5t HB UserAmethy5t HB UserAmethy5t HB UserAmethy5t HB User

Hi! You could try Hotter (google Hotter comfort concept). They are british shoes, but the company now has a US site. You might find the right combination of comfort, support and looks there. I am 5 months post calcaneal osteotomy and I live in their sandals. They are pretty supportive. My OS recommended a slight wedge heel (1 1/2 in) to keep my foot in a comfortable position. They have those, plus flat ones if you need it. Good luck!

Old 08-03-2012, 08:01 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

I wear a pair of sandals around the house, that have cushion. But I find I do alot better with ankle support. I suppose it might make a difference if you are fused or not. I wasn't fused, but it healed pretty close to that.

Uneven surfaces, I find lace up really helps, for anyone. Hiking and work boots have ankle support for a reason. I could probably get buy in a office without it, if I had to. I like having less pain.

Closed Thread