It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2012, 11:53 AM   #1
(female)

krys888 HB User
Thumbs down Fractued Calcaneus and Soft Tissue Damage

So I fractured my calcaneus about 10 weeks ago and did soft tissue damage to my foot as well. I didn't need surgery, my orthopedic doctor fitted me for an aircast and crutches and told me to stay off of it. I've been back to see him a few times because it has been 10 weeks and I still can't put any weight on it...is that normal? Its still very painful. The swelling has gone way down since the accident but I just feel like at 10 weeks I should be able to do something.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-03-2012, 03:16 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Zerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB User
Re: Fractued Calcaneus and Soft Tissue Damage

Typically people cannot bear weight for 12 weeks. It is best to listen to the guy with the medical degree.

Keep it elevated, really elevated, toes above the nose, or as close as you can get. You should be sleeping with it elevated too.

I didn't have alot of pain, when around 10 weeks, cause it was elevated and I wasn't doing anything with it. The pain came as I started walking and using it. In general the pain comes from use, even three years later.

Once you start bearing weight you will need to wear very comfortable shoes and thick socks. The rest of your life actually, if you don't want pain.

Your foot is probably very senisitve because it hasn't touched anything in 10 weeks. Rubbing it will help. You may need to pull back on your toes, through out the day to free them up too.

You will be doping lots by 4-5 months, but a bit of pain the first year, probably. To get as good as you will get takes 12-18 months.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread