It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2012, 03:09 AM   #1
(male)

Carbonfiber139 HB User
Need advice; three weeks P/O left calcaneus ORIF

Like the title says I'm three weeks out. What I am looking for advice on is how have those of you who have gone through this manage to not lose your mind?

I am 39 years old and will turn Forty August 10th. I have two small children my daughter is four and my son is turning one year old July 12th. Prior to my accident I was the Rock and now I am the weak link. Besides the feelings of helplessness I am starting to get weaker and weaker, to the point it is a struggle to get up and just go to the restroom. I used to take the kids to the park to play several times a week, now I can barely bathe and put clean clothes on of a morning.

Not to mention all of the other activities I am not getting to participate in I am slowly losing my mind.

I just bought a ps2 off of eBay and I am waiting for it to arrive. I did that because I was looking for a way to kill time and video games kill time and I've got a lot to kill.

What I am hoping to receive as far as advice goes is. What ways did some of you cope with the waiting game between the time of surgery and when you get to start wait bearing therapy. I have lost a lot of weight , like 12 pounds.
I am really weak and I cannot get comfortable. I can only sleep at most an hour at a time.

What did some of you do to overcome the obstacle that is recovery from this procedure?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-05-2012, 10:20 AM   #2
(male)

txmac HB User
Re: Need advice; three weeks P/O left calcaneus ORIF

ok carbonfilter, i'm 8 weeks p/o calcaneous, plate and 7 screws left foot, key is patience, i'm the same way very active but u have to resign yourself to the fact that it will take some time to heal. keep a positive outlook and u have to depend on others to help you for a while. this was the most difficult but it is amazing how many people really want to help. u need to eat healthy as it will help w the healing. key is also to keep your range of motion exercises if your dr. told you to do so, so that you keep that movement ability in your foot. it gets better, right now i have minimal/no pain, i am still non weight bearing until 7/16, then hopefully start the w/b process. key is your attitude and your support team.

Last edited by hb-mod; 07-29-2012 at 09:39 AM.

The following user gives a hug of support to txmac:
califmom1 (07-29-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to txmac For This Useful Post:
Carbonfiber139 (07-06-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-05-2012, 09:57 PM   #3
(male)

Carbonfiber139 HB User

Ok today was a different day, I sent out texts to all of the parents who children I coach soccer for. I talked to a few of the dads and told them what had happened and that I am gonna need some help at practice and at the games until I can get to the point I can do it all on my own again. The reason behind doing this is that I have been working with this same group of kids for the past four seasons and I don't want to lose any of them to another coach. I guess we all have our own sources of inspiration to motivate us to endeavor. I am also going to attemp to play in the upcoming fall season.

I got in the pool today and started practicing walking some it felt really good to not have crutches digging in my arm pits or the walker putting pressure on hands. I don't know what the doc is going to say but I did it with the idea that it is non load bearing exercise and I was careful not to put any pressure on the injured foot. I just wanted to make sure I didn't forget how to walk.

Like when I had my ACL reconstruction back in 1991 I had fears of not being able to walk or run but three months post op I ran a half marathon with no training and did it in a respectable time of 2:41:00

I'm not trying to duplicate that but I have entered the Austin tough mudder event in October so that's a goal, just to be able to complete another one. I almost got depressed with this injury like I did with my knee. I will try and keep that from happening again. Today was a pretty good day. Hope y'all had a good one too.

Old 07-23-2012, 06:20 PM   #4
(female)

uswfordsb HB User

I'm 3 months out post-op right calcaneus ORIF, plate and 9 screws. Just went back to work and have been going to PT for about 6 weeks now. Started weight bearing 2 weeks ago and just started using 1 crutch for short distances. Pain is tolerable on 1 crutch, but less on 2. I'm very anxious to get back to normal and all my physical activity. Try to have patience and do what your surgeon and pt recommends regardless of what you are told on here. They know the best for you based on your exact extent of injury. Take the help offered, especially with your little ones.

Old 07-23-2012, 06:26 PM   #5
(female)

uswfordsb HB User

Also, my PT said that swimming is one of the best things you can do while you are waiting to become weight-bearing on your foot. And if you have help, you can have your kids with you while you are in the pool! From not walking, you will find that you will lose a lot of muscle tone on your bad side, so the swimming will help for you to keep your strength up. And try to eat a healthy diet while you are recovering. Try to keep a good attitude and have lots of patience!

Old 07-29-2012, 09:21 AM   #6
(female)

califmom1 HB Usercalifmom1 HB Usercalifmom1 HB User

The pool is the best thing you can do for yourself! Work your whole body in there, then clean the dead skin off your foot when you get out. Then waggle your foot as much as you can. You will feel like a new man. Do it every day. The pool was my beginning to feel like a human again--and it makes you feel clean too.

Work your leg and foot muscles as much as you can. They are atrophying all the time. When you try to walk again, they won't be able to support you and it takes awhile to get them into shape. It will also give you something to do. Look up PT exercises for this injury online. That will also give you something to do.

I am going to be a downer here--you will not be playing soccer next fall. You will be walking. You might possibly be running a few hundred feet. But you won't be playing soccer. You can coach if you are willing to sit down some and rest some. You will need lots of assistance during practices. Call every dad you know now and get him to help.

This injury lasts a long time. I am one year out and my doc says I am ahead of his timeline for healing. Before the injury I was hiking 6-7 miles 3 days/week and doing Pilates 2 days/week. Now I can hike about 3 miles with real effort and I am proud to do so. But when I am done I have to elevate and ice and the next day I am whipped. Lateral movement is quite difficult. I play with my dog every day and try to do quick movements and I am careful not to fall down.

I am not out of the ordinary for healing, from what this board and < edited > tell me. Actually, I am ahead of many in the pack, so I count my blessings. All this to say, work your foot, eat healthy (BTW, I lost 10 lbs in the first 3 months but have now gained it back), and focus on your little victories. My husband reminds me all the time about "remember when you couldn't do that?" and it really helps my perspective.

Last edited by hb-mod; 07-29-2012 at 09:41 AM. Reason: Please don't post unapproved website links, or recommend Internet searches, per Posting Policy. Thanks.

Old 08-01-2012, 04:19 AM   #7
(male)

tallgrass2 HB User

I broke my calcaneus on June 21, 2012. I was quite active before it happened and so I found being stuck on the couch pretty hard.
One thing that really did help my life was getting a "knee walker". I don't know if you have one or if you've heard of them, but it has enabled me to do a lot. It's like a little scooter that you rest your bad leg on and use your good leg to push yourself around. You can steer it and it has brakes. I can go grocery shopping, take my kid to daycare, and do a lot more around the house. People always ask me about it when I'm out and about.
You can probably find one used for a reasonable price.

Closed Thread