It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2012, 08:58 AM   #1
(female)

ljturner HB Userljturner HB Userljturner HB Userljturner HB User
Getting calf muscle back

Hi All,

I am almost eight weeks out from pttd surgery, and hope to start PWB this coming week in the boot. I go tomorrow for a weight bearing x-ray to see how the bone graft is healing.

To get ready I have been doing exercises to increase range of motion and it's improving steadily. I have also been massaging the foot and resting it on the floor with and without the boot on to get it more used to being down and feeling pressure on the bottom. So I feel ready, even though I am a little nervous...

The only thing that doesn't seem to show any change is my calf muscle. It still looks atrophied and limp - but I am not sure what I can do at this point to strengthen it. Will being weight bearing in the boot help it or do I need to wait until I am out of the boot to expect to see some change in it?

If there are any exercises I can do, please share! Thanks for any and all replies...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-09-2012, 06:59 AM   #2
(male)

Toyman57 HB UserToyman57 HB UserToyman57 HB UserToyman57 HB User
Re: Getting calf muscle back

I shattered my heel bone a few years back and was nwb for 10 weeks or so and if I remember right the calf muscle took about 9 months 2 recover and for me to stop limping. I climbed a lot of stairs . Good Luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-09-2012, 10:44 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB User

You won't see much change in it until after you get out of the boot unfortunately. I'm 4 months out from reconstructive ankle surgery and even though I knew after 6 wks in a cast and 2 months on crutches that my calf would atrophy, I wasn't prepared for how much it would! It didn't start coming back until I was out of thr boot because the boot doesn't allow you to push off your toes and that helps build the calf muscles. Now, my calf has come back some, but my PT told me it would take a year to fully return to where it was. Even though I can see it coming back, it does have a long way to go. I take pics of it every so often to see its growth! Good luck with your transition to PWB!

Old 07-10-2012, 05:39 AM   #4
(female)

ljturner HB Userljturner HB Userljturner HB Userljturner HB User

Thanks for the replies, my doc said basically the same thing yesterday. Guess patience is still necessary with this recovery.

I did get the OK for PWB yesterday! My doc did a weight bearing set of x-rays and everything looks good. She showed me my initial x-rays of my right and left feet from December and I could really see the difference between how they looked, in terms of the bones in the left foot all looking collapsed on top of each other. The "after" x-ray of my left foot shows it looking more like my (unflat) right foot now! I thought for some reason there was only one screw, but there are three in there.

So one month of increasing weight bearing up to FWB in the boot, then a shoe and PT will start. My doc said she waits to do the PT because she wants the bones to get some more density in them with the weight bearing in the boot before she starts me on PT. Works for me, one thing at a time!

Today I am going to drive myself to work for the first time. I have a training to sit in all day so it's a matter of getting in and out of the building and to and from the bathroom, I feel like it will be manageable for me. I feel so independent! It's a good thing too, because emotionally I don't know how much longer I can handle this recovery. So every little bit of progress is really significant!

Closed Thread