It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2012, 08:23 PM   #1
(female)

1b2u3t4 HB User
cortisone for plantar facistis

I have just had 1 injection in each foot for Plantar facitis a week agao but after the weekend realised they have not helped, I am going back today to ger another one in each foot (Which was really painfull) but am scared these wont work either. I am wearing ortha heels in my shoes all the time and am doing excersises. Does anying have any other ideas experiences with the injections

Old 07-08-2012, 08:58 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User
Re: cortisone for plantar facistis

I had terrible PF pain yrs ago. didn't have the shots, dr. wouldn't do them. you can take a water bottle partial filled and freeze and roll it around under arch of foot some tohelp w/ pain. have you got camwalker boots? they helped the best. I ended up w/ the surgery it was so bad. good luck, cj

The Following User Says Thank You to noevr For This Useful Post:
1b2u3t4 (07-08-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-08-2012, 09:39 PM   #3
(female)

1b2u3t4 HB User

I have not heard of the boots I will research them, we are going on Holiday soon and I am worried as I can not walk any longer than half hour at a time then I pay for it the rest of the day, why did your doctor not give you the injections?

Old 07-09-2012, 07:01 AM   #4
(female)

hanginin HB Userhanginin HB User

I also got cortisone shots for PF but it lead to the tendon tearing and that's the danger with getting the shots. I also had to have surgery eventually.

The Following User Says Thank You to hanginin For This Useful Post:
1b2u3t4 (07-09-2012)
Old 07-09-2012, 12:23 PM   #5
(female)

Gina B HB User

[QUOTE=1b2u3t4;5015297]I have just had 1 injection in each foot for Plantar facitis a week agao but after the weekend realised they have not helped, I am going back today to ger another one in each foot (Which was really painfull) but am scared these wont work either. I am wearing ortha heels in my shoes all the time and am doing excersises. Does anying have any other ideas experiences with the injections[/QUOTE]

I had oral prednisone for my plantar facitis and it only helped while I was taking it. I went for 6 weeks of PT and did all the exercises, got custom orthotics and still was in pain. I finally found a pair of shoes (NB 1553) and they took away most of the pain without the orthotic. They felt better without it than they did with them. sometimes it hurts but nothing like before. It did take a year though. Of course now they discontinued the NB running shoes and replaced them with another number. I just hope they are just as good as the other ones.

The Following User Says Thank You to Gina B For This Useful Post:
1b2u3t4 (07-09-2012)
Old 07-09-2012, 02:33 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

One cortisone shot is safe, but you don't want to keep doing it over and over again, because that has risks such as tendon rupture. Have you tried exercises? They must be done first thing in the morning, before you even get out of bed.

Old 07-09-2012, 09:38 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB User

I had PF in both feet but at different times. Thankfully, 1 shot in each foot was all I needed along with custom orthotics, but the frozen water bottle is a great idea as is the CAM walker. You can also try physical therapy. They usually have great ideas along with exercises and manual therapy that really helps and usually feels really good.

Old 07-09-2012, 09:45 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User

oh yeah and never go bare footed! wear good supported shoes if you must wear sandles now try Birkenstocks or something like that w/ good support. cj

Old 08-05-2012, 09:32 PM   #9
(male)

brianolson25 HB User

I previously had a cortisone shot for PF in the past, and it resulted in short term and long term relief. Within a couple weeks of the shot the pain was greatly reduced and I felt better than I had in years. Unfortunately, the downside to cortisone is that it can sometimes cause weakening or tendons and ligaments, and I ended up suffering a full tear of the PF. This caused short term pain and required orthotics for well over a year, but eventually everything healed, and my foot felt better than it had in years. It basically did the same thing that PT surgery does. That was over 5 years ago and everything is still great. PF is miserable if you have a bad case, but not necessarily permanent. Good luck.

Old 08-06-2012, 08:32 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

danabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB User

I had P.F. so badly that I could not get out of bed and an orthopedic surgeon told me to do some stretching exercises, which I did and the P.F. was gone in a short time. I would be leery of any one who wants to cut that part of the foot because it connects to the Achilles tendon, which controls your plantar facia, which, in turn, controls your walk. No good dr. will cut the plantar facia and I would be very skeptical about injections as well!!!! If the plantar facia is cut today a person may have lots of trouble later on in life. Podiatrists are generally the ones who want to cut, not the good orthopedic surgeons.

Old 08-06-2012, 01:50 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

ginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB User

I had PF for 3 months and no relief from the stretches or night boot. The frozen water bottle is the only thing that helped me. I did it 4-5 times a day and the PF was gone in 2 weeks! My boss got the same results even faster. I would highly suggest it. It's free and non-invasive.

Closed Thread