It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2012, 08:36 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Missyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB User
Recovery time for arthroscopy of ankle for OCD

I just came back from my ortho and he want to scope by ankle for an OCD. It showed on an MRI done last Sept. but due to my other foot needing to be fixed, it was put on hold until now. The MRI showed that it is only 2mm but it really hurts. Right now I am trying to find out how long I should expect to be out. If it is only 2 weeks, I will have it now but if it is longer I have to wait until November when I have FMLA back. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-09-2012, 12:21 PM   #2
(female)

Calrunner HB User
Re: Recovery time for arthroscopy of ankle for OCD

Are they going to do microfracture to your OCD? Are you asking how long before you're fully healed, or how long before you can return to work? I had microfx to my 6mm OCD, and was back a work after 1 week (albeit on crutches). If they're going to perform microfx surgery, you will need to be non-weight-bearing for a period determined by your doctor (if I remember correctly, I was on crutches for approx. 2 months).

If they're just going to scope your ankle (not sure why they'd do that), then your recovery will be very fast. (ie. you'll probably walk out of the surgery center).

Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-09-2012, 01:52 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Missyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB User

He did say microfracture. I cannot even be in a boot for work. I work as an RRT in a hospital and am required to be on my feet the entire shift.

Old 07-09-2012, 05:24 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

I heard back from the doctor's office. It is microfracture. They said I will be non-weightbearing for 6 weeks (in a cast) then in a boot. With that said, I think I really have no choice but to wait until November when I have FMLA back.

Old 07-09-2012, 09:24 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB User

Yes and with microfracture, it's not always textbook so I think you are smart to wait until you have your FMLA back. So at your hospital, you can't even be in a boot? Why is that? I remember after my first ankle reconstruction surgery, I went back to work full time at week 5 (stupid, stupid, stupid) and wore the boot at work for several weeks. I am an RN and was working in SICU at the time so on my feet for 13 hours a day. Sorry you can't have the surgery now. I know you're in pain!

Old 07-10-2012, 02:52 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

My manager will not allow us to wear the boot because she is afraid of needle sticks (ABG's, A-line) or blood. It would be nice to just get it done and have one painless foot but I do need the FLMA. I have to google this procedure. This is a lot more then I anticipated -almost as bad as my flat foot reconstruction.

Closed Thread