It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2012, 11:46 AM   #1
(male)

herosol HB User
Confounded by Ankle Injury

About 6-7 weeks ago, I sprained my ankle playing basketball landing on the side of someone's foot. It was my right-ankle, and this was my second time. My first sprain was minor. A tennis ball rolled beneathe my foot during practice, and it rolled. I was in an air cast, and was back playing tennis within a month.

This recent one has been weird. I was diagnosed with a 2nd-degree sprain, with a minor (perhaps less than a millimeter) chip near the bottom of the fibula. I was told I'd be fine, and needed rest time.

I was in an air-cast for about 3 weeks. And have been walking normally up until now. Stiars are fine, and even light jumps (mainly because im afraid to jump hard). But my problem is this. It is still swollen, compared to my left ankle, albeit the area around my ankles have always been very skinny. Second of all, I have flexiblity, but still hurts when I try to max out the distance it can stretch. For example doing a lunge, but keeping the foot flat on the ground.

Thirdly the stretching pain has been coming from the back left, and not the right side despite it being inverted. Honestly, I just want to stop the swelling, because the pain is not that substantial. I know it's not major just because I can walk normally, but I would love to get back shooting hoops.

Thanks for the help!

Old 07-09-2012, 02:44 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Confounded by Ankle Injury

After a bad sprain like that, it can take up to 4 months to recover 100%, and the last thing you want to do is push it before it's ready.

Icing is good. Also, there are exercises that can help restore the strength and flexibility of your ankle. Ask your doctor which ones you should do, or ask for a prescription for a physical therapist to teach you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-09-2012, 09:32 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB User
Re: Confounded by Ankle Injury

It took my ankle sprains forever to heal and as Jane said don't push it before its ready as that can lead to further problems. Take care of it and rehab it back properly so it doesn't become a chronic problem. I've had 2 ankle reconstruction surgeries from ankle sprains (granted 2 of them were grade 3s). Hope it,feels better soon! What part of LA are you in? I lived there for 4 years and miss it! Who is your doctor in LA?

Closed Thread