It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2012, 12:17 PM   #1
(female)

Le98 HB User
Knot on top of incision 8 weeks after bunionette surgery Tailor's Bunion surgery?

About 6-8 weeks out after bilateral bunionette ( Tailor's Bunion, 5th metatarsal ) correction surgery, I developed a swollen knot on the TOP of my foot at the base of my pinky toe. But only on the left foot! The swelling feels hard like bone, but X-rays show that it's made up of soft tissue.

My podiatrist is stumped, and the second podiatrist I saw wasn't much more decisive. Now four months out from surgery, the knot is sensitive, but not terribly painful. There's also still some bruising near the screw my podiatrist inserted, but the knot is actually further down the metatarsal (closer to the toe) than the screw.

The bone itself healed beautifully within the first 6 weeks or so.

Now four months out of surgery, weight-bearing makes the bump swell more; steroids and anti-inflamatories make the knot decrease in size, but don't get rid of it. The knot hurts, but not much.

Has anyone else developed a lump like this after bunionette surgery? If so, what was it, and how did you make it go away?

Would be grateful for any input!!

Old 07-10-2012, 03:56 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Janesfoot HB UserJanesfoot HB UserJanesfoot HB User
Re: Knot on top of incision 8 weeks after bunionette surgery Tailor's Bunion surgery?

How frustrating for you! I had surgery for bunion and tailor's bunion on my right foot four years ago. I had a bump on the bunion (1st Met) side, but that turned out to be a bone chip which over time disappeared. I remember how put out I was that I had a "bump" after all I went through to get rid of the bunions. Have the doctors given you possible solutions? Could they remove the tissue? The good news is the bone healed well because the fifth met side can take a long time to heal and is in danger of fracturing if one isn't careful.
I'm having surgery this Friday to repair the bunion and tailor's bunion on my other foot (left). I'll ask my doctor about developing tissue bumps. I hope you will have a solution to your bump soon!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-10-2012, 08:45 AM   #3
(female)

Le98 HB User
Re: Knot on top of incision 8 weeks after bunionette surgery Tailor's Bunion surgery?

Thanks for your response! Good luck with your left foot tailor's bunion / bunion surgery this Friday. I will be sending healthy, successful-surgery thoughts your way!

Yes, very frustrating to still be partial-weight-bearing this long after surgery. The two potential diagnoses I've gotten are (1) nerve entrapment (which would be a little odd, because I don't really have any "zingy" nerve pain), or (2) an "atypical presentation" of RSD/Complex Regional Pain Syndrome. Having done a little research, neither one of those diagnoses really seems to fit. Of course, nothing else does either!

At first, my podiatrist thought my left foot was rejecting one of the deep sutures in the joint capsule, but since nothing ever worked its way out, he's since rejected that theory. Unfortunately, there's no replacement explanation. Bump is maybe 1 cm x 1 cm x 1/2cm.

As a side note, going into surgery back in March, the bunionette on my left foot was much worse than the one on my right foot. Also, the left foot didn't respond well to a steroid injection a few months before surgery; the bunionette swelling went down, but the area became bruised-looking thereafter. (I never had the right foot injected.)

Would love to hear any thoughts your doc might have on what could cause this darned bump!

Old 07-14-2012, 10:04 AM   #4
(female)

Le98 HB User

Janesfoot - thinking of you after your surgery! Once you've recovered a bit, would love to hear how you're doing. Sending you healthy wishes!

Old 07-16-2012, 03:04 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Janesfoot HB UserJanesfoot HB UserJanesfoot HB User

Le98 - I'm doing fairly well. I posted a thread about the nerve block, which has since worn off. I see the doctor on Thursday and will ask about the tissue knot issue and what could be a cause.
Even though "bunionette" sounds cute, the healing of the repair was much more complicated for me the first time around than it was for the bunion (1st met) side. Check out my old threads from 2008, specifically the end of July. All has been resolved, but I was upset and very worried by the bump, and subsequently the apparent slow healing of the bone. My right foot is great now, and I'm looking forward to "matching" feet!
I'll let you know what I learn from the doctor.

Closed Thread