It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2012, 03:33 PM   #1
(female)

sharonshoes HB User
Smile Hi im new here, bunion,corns,callus, etc

Hi all i have just joined and hope some one can give me any ideas what to do with my feet..... to let you know i wear fashion style high heels all the time for work (car sales) i know my feet has changed shape over the years, now i getting terrible pain in my right bunion and a chirop said it is large and my big toe is angled about 30 degreese.
I had 2 huge corns removed on my baby toes recently (feels much better) but thee come back in about 2 weeks,... but i dont know if to get bunion surgery or just put up with it (will it keep growing ?), people who has seen my feet say i have a stilleto shaped foot if you get the idea.... My left foot has hammered toes and a small bunion and my feet dont look like a matching pair so i hope you get some idea what they are like, Is bunion surgery worth it ???? hope to here from some one thanks Sharon.

Old 07-10-2012, 02:39 PM   #2
(female)

undecidedbunion HB User
Re: Hi im new here, bunion,corns,callus, etc

Hi I can only tell you that your feet will only get worse. They don't just stay the way they are.... and they don't get better. The longer you wait to fix the problem the harder it is to fix and have a good outcome. At least that's what I was told by my Dr. It makes sense to me, if your toe is leaning way into the toe next to it, the change in your foot will be increadible. If it's a slight lean the adjustment is not as drastic on the bones in you foot in general. So the sooner the better if you feel you need the surgery.

I had the surgery and I'm very happy. I had one foot done a year and a half ago. I had the second foot done last March.

Recovery was around 5 weeks, but wearing heels was about 4 to 5 months wait.

Good Luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-10-2012, 05:39 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Go see an ortho who is foot and ankle board certified. Here in Birmingham I can personally recommend John Kirchner at UA and Eli Hurowitz at St Vincent's.

Old 07-11-2012, 12:28 PM   #4
(female)

sharonshoes HB User

Thanks for the replys, after looking about on the net i do feel scared about the recovery time after surgery and also will i beable to wear high heels and fashion style pointy toes etc?.

As any one ever used a good bunion pad gaurd that i could wear in a high court / pump shoes, are there good foot aids to help with bunions ?.

I dont want surgery just for cosmetic reasons, .... some people say that as the big toe angles over and finds a good position it can feel better 'i have noticed in a pointy shoe that makes my big toe angle even more the pain dose ease off but i guess thats not good in real terms.

Thanks again Sharon.

Old 07-12-2012, 07:05 AM   #5
(female)

undecidedbunion HB User

I think that is why so many people wait too long to have the bunion fixed. They feel it is only for looks, not realizing what is going on inside their foot.

When I saw the x-ray of my foot I was shocked. My bunion was a problem and it did hurt in shoes. I was buying only wide shoes in heels and flats. But my bunions weren't huge and didn't look really bad. The x-ray showed how much movement was going on inside my foot. How far my bones had moved and how my big toe was sitting on the side rather than the top of the attached bone. That's when I decided sooner rather than later for surgery.

It can't be good for your foot to be walking on it with bones so out of position. I had no idea there was so much more going on inside my foot.

Old 07-12-2012, 03:52 PM   #6
(female)

sharonshoes HB User

Hi thanks for your input about my feet, Im prity sure if you could see my feet you would say omg becase my fore foot is so out of shape its unreal.

I can feel my big toe joint in the bunion not sitting in the joint as i think i should, also looking i can see my big toe has twisted and i have developed callus on the part that touches the shoe or floor and my big toe when im bare footed just wants to push under my 2nd toe is this typical bunion problems ? , chat soon and big thanks Sharon.

Old 07-12-2012, 05:38 PM   #7
(female)

undecidedbunion HB User

Yes, that is the way your feet end up looking when you have bunions. I too, was very surprised when the Dr. mentioned my calluses while I went in for my initial visit. I was always working on getting them off and never knew why I had them. But they are gone now, since I had bunion surgery.

Four to six weeks is a long time to recover. Although you will be heel walking, but shouldn't be on your foot to much more than going to the bathroom and small house task. But it is in investment in your lifetime of walking, which is important. It's hard to understand what a difference it can make, or how waiting too long can cause problems beyond fixing. I don't know how bad your bunions are but I would sure go to a Dr. to understand your options.

The Following User Says Thank You to undecidedbunion For This Useful Post:
sharonshoes (07-16-2012)
Closed Thread