It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2012, 06:01 PM   #1
(female)

chereve50 HB User
Question Cam boot usage for foot fracture

I have been in a cam boot for one week now and foot feels better but I just wanted to ask: How long do you leave it off during the day? Can it be off of foot while foot is elevated? Another words, does it still need to be on? Thanks!

Old 07-09-2012, 09:13 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB User
Re: Cam boot usage for foot fracture

Hi! Welcome to the boards! Sorry you need them, but glad you found them. As far as your question, that is really an instruction you should receive from your doctor. S/he should've told you how they wanted it worn and for how long. What kind of fracture do you have? That also makes a difference. But honestly, I would call your doctor to ask. I've had 2 ankle reconstructions and had a boot (after a hard cast) both times and I could take mine off when I was off of it and it was elevated, BUT that was after it went through a period of constant immobilization in the hard cast. Fractures typically need that immobilization to heal and if you take if off (other than to shower and even then some docs will make you cover it to shower), you risk those bones moving. So just call your doctor as that is an easy over the phone question!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-10-2012, 06:44 AM   #3
(female)

chereve50 HB User

Thanks for your reply. I now do recall him telling me I could take it off when I am sleeping overnight so I believe his meaning was to keep it on until then. I get another x-ray in a month. It was a Jones fracture. Thanks again.

Old 07-11-2012, 12:23 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB User

I'm thinking your right because a Jones fracture is a fairly serious fracture only because it's not very vascular and doesn't form a union easily. I had a Jones fracture in my left foot 8 years ago-not fun. Crutches for 6 wks and a bone stimulator, but I was lucky and it formed a union so I avoided having a pin placed thankfully! I hope yours heals well!

Old 07-11-2012, 07:03 AM   #5
(female)

chereve50 HB User

Thanks again!

Closed Thread