It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2012, 11:31 AM   #1
(female)

Beaz HB User
Cool Bilateral calcaneal fractures

Hello.
I am new to these boards & let me start by saying thank you to all those willing to share their experiences and help others. Previous boards have already been I huge help.
I sustained bilateral (both) calcaneal fractures due to a fall down stairs on 05/27/12. I was put into half hard splints for 10 days, elevating and icing. After X-rays & ct scans it was determined only one foot was displaced and would need surgery. We tentatively scheduled surgery for the following week, to allow for more swelling to reduce. My stable fracture (R) was set into a hard cast 06/05/12. I received an ORIF operation (L) on 06/13/12 resulting in a plate and 6 screws to correct and repair my heel into alignment with the Subtalar joint. I stayed 3 days in the hospital. I had a large bulky dressing post-op that was replaced by a hard cast 06/26. Returning for recheck 07/10, I had the sutures and both hard casts removed, getting cam boots for both feet. I've been instructed to do ROM exercises as much as pain will allow to start the pt process. I have been NWB this entire time & will not see the doctor again until 08/07. They say they are very happy with both heels progress and re X-ray every time I go. Next appointment we are going to talk about partial WB on non surgical leg (R), and start pt for that.
So my questions are as follows;
I am an avid equestrian and have not even allowed the idea of not making a full recovery to riding an option.
How have other bilateral heelies fared with returning to activities ? Timelines to expect ? Any tips on exercises or anything that has helped recovery ?
I currently work in the service industry, I know I have a long road ahead but hope to be back running around working again.
I would love anyone's experiences with recovery especially those with 2 feet affected. I am an extremely active, healthy person who wants to continue to stay positive throughout this journey. thanks !

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-11-2012, 04:09 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Zerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB User
Re: Bilateral calcaneal fractures

I suspect you will be horse back riding again. Service industry will be tough, if you are standing alot. If you can take breaks and sit, you may be ok. Though may get worse with time. I am not exactly sure what area of work you are in, bartender, waitress or desk clerk? Sitting at a desk will be alot easier, and probably not alot of change.

Usually takes 12-18 months to get as good as you will get. Recovery varies, because the injury varies. But it is a life changing event.

You will probably start bearing weight around 12 weeks, from injury and surgery. First 4-5 months you will be doing stuff, but it will be hard. 10-12 months getting better.

If you want less pain, you will have to wear comfortable shoes and socks. I wear light wool hiking socks in the summer, and buy new pairs every year.

Probably start range of motion exercises around 6 weeks, ask for physical therapy, if they forget to bring it up. If you don't have insurance, go to learn the exercises, and then go maybe every 3-4 weeks, to get new exercises. More often after weight bearing, and less as the months go by.

Keep you feet elevated 23 hours a day. Toes above the nose. I slept with my foot on two pillows, and two pillows in my recliner, tilted back.

Swelling will get better once you start walking and mcuslces start working. Ask doc about compression sock, once you start walking.

You will probably have weird shooting sensations, this normal. Your foot may turn purplish when you have it down, more so when you are non weight bearing.

Lace up boots help the most, I wear 8". I know women may not like that, but I have less pain. They have some black ones that will look so-so with jeans. Look at the type cops wear, they are marketed as tactical or sport tactical, by Danner, Magnum, or Bates.

Closed Thread

Tags
bilateral heel fractures, calcaneal