It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2012, 08:33 PM   #1
(female)

Loretta> HB UserLoretta> HB UserLoretta> HB UserLoretta> HB User
LIsfranc Hardware removal surgery

I had lisfranc surgery on Feb 27, 2012. I will be getting the hardware removed July 16, 2012. I been told it will be easy compared to the first, because it isn't doing manipulating of the bones just taking out the hardware. My first one was rough, I am getting anxious, but want this over. If anybody is willing to share hardware removal stories, I would appreciate it! I started walking on May 22. Been doing pretty good, I can tell the hardware is there.
Thank you ! Loretta

Old 07-12-2012, 08:01 AM   #2
(female)

JacsB HB User
Re: LIsfranc Hardware removal surgery

Hi Loretta

I had my screws out almost three weeks ago (after having them inserted Nov 26) and it was nowhere near as bad as having them put in. Plus my foot was really starting to ache towards the end which is apparently a sign that the screws were ready to come out. It was day surgery, under general, and I was up on crutches that night. I was on two crutches for a couple of days, then one for about a week, then none. They bandaged up my foot for a couple of weeks with a little boot until the stitches came out. My foot was still a bit swollen for the next week, but I'm back to comfy shoes now. I'm still limping and my foot aches a bit, but nowhere near as badly as the last few weeks with the screws. I remember how much the screws hurt going in, and was hugely relieved that the removal was actually ok. You'll get through this! Please let us know how you go.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-12-2012, 10:11 AM   #3
(female)

I will, TY so much!

Old 07-12-2012, 11:56 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB User

Hope it goes well Loretta! Let us know how you are doing as soon as you are able!

Old 07-13-2012, 11:34 AM   #5
(female)

I will. My anxiety is high and torturing me through the roof because of what I went through with the first surgery. Just feeling like pain and anxiety don't matter to the health profession at all. TY for replying Hollywood.

Old 07-13-2012, 11:12 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB User

I know girlie and it's understandable! It does matter to them, just gotta make them understand. I hope this time goes so much better for you and I bet it will because it's having the hardware removed, not another huge injury that needs to be fixed! Just let them know what you went through pain wise after the first surgery and that you just don't want to be in pain! Praying for you!!

Old 07-15-2012, 09:44 AM   #7
(female)

I have a plate and screws to come out. Any ideas if the plate removal is going to make this whole thing much worst? I am worried about bathing and caring for myself since that gave me so much trouble before, my husband has to work.

Last edited by Loretta>; 07-15-2012 at 09:45 AM.

Old 07-16-2012, 12:25 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

I honestly don't know. I've never had hardware before. I'm sorry! Good luck tomorrow! Can't wait to hear from you!

Old 07-16-2012, 02:41 PM   #9
(female)

Hi!
Jacs and Hollywood, I am home it is over, pain block is worn off and so far okay!. As of now there is minimal discomfort around incision site. Nothing a bad patient like me can't deal with. Same oral pain control as before Oxy alternating Vistaril. The nurse said I didn't need general and propofal was enough to keep me still. I am sure I was asleep so don't know how much different they could be. No nausea or other bothersome after effects like last time.

Old 07-17-2012, 12:26 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oh LORETTA, I'm so happy for you that this was a much better experience and that you got good stuff for pain control! I do have one question though. Why are they having you alternate the oxycodone with the Vistaril? I'm wondering because Vistaril isn't a pain medication. It's an antihistamine that when taken with pain meds will potentiate their effects and control itching. Either way, just glad you have good pain control and it wasn't a bad experience. As far as the propofol, it can be used in general and twilight sedation. Just depends on how far under they put you and if they use any other agents in conjunction with it. Propofol is a very effective short acting sedative that when stopped, the patient wakes up very easily within 5 minutes. I've had it before where it wasn't general anesthesia, but like you I know I was asleep and remember nothing! Great huh? I also know it was used in several, if not all, of my general anesthesia surgeries. We also use it very frequently as a sedation drip in the ICU because it's easy to stop the drip, wake the patient up to do the neuro exam and restart it putting the patient back under. Hope that helps explain it a bit! So happy you're doing well! Keep us updated! How long NWB?

Old 07-17-2012, 09:43 PM   #11
(female)

I am not in a lot of pain, but my bandage has been seeping. I can weight bear as much as I want. This surgery was really much easier. I called the office tonight and they were not concerned about the bleeding, but I sure am. I'll probably go to my GP tomorrow and have him replace the dressing. This health care system is crazy. It sure is not how it used to be. I got one more antibiotic pill, that's it, so am really worried about infection with the bleeding. I think it'll be okay if I can get this wound to clear up. I guess with all us baby boomer folks getting old it is going to get just harder to care for all us, so we won't get it. I seem to have enough meds to keep the pain under control. I have a clean ace bandage over the dressing and then a pillow case. There is no bleeding through the ace bandage and I am keeping off it and elevated till I can get it checked out. Thank you for your support Hollywood!

Last edited by Loretta>; 07-17-2012 at 09:45 PM.

The following user gives a hug of support to Loretta>:
Hollywood48 (07-18-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to Loretta> For This Useful Post:
Cannier (08-06-2012)
Closed Thread