It all started with a minor spraIned ankle so I thought. After two months of seeing a podiatrist, ankle was not getting better. Decided to see my chiropractor on the first visit she said you need a MRI and a day later I was seeing a surgeon. I was told I needed an ankle reconstruction, surgery would last 90 minutes. I would be in a soft cast for 2wks and then I would get in a non bearing Weight cast for two months. Physical therapy for 4 to 6 wks. Oh yeah I wasn't going to drive for 4 months!
On the outside I was cool asking question, oh yeah can't drive for that long because it's my right ankle of course that makes sense!
In the inside, All I could think was what was a reconstruction? What? No, I don't need this. But of course I set the date.
Now this is going to seem crazy, but I am a very easy going person 90% of the time. The other 10% I like to know the worst case scenario so when I go thru the situation, i find myself saying ah that wasn't so bad.
So what did I do? I went To this site and to utube and read and saw the surgery.
I share this because we all have a way to deal with life and gain some control. This my way, find yours.
Listen, I am skipping the going under anesthesia and going straight to when I woke up. Turns out my surgery wasn't 90minutes it was 5 hours, why you ask? I had a lateral ankle reconstruction, and it was not one ligament but two ligaments to be repaired. I also had a peroneus brevis reconstruction, this meant they also had to repair a tendon.
I finally went home ten hours later, feeling no pain. Pain meds were waiting at home. I read on this site, the best thing you can do is to have no pain. The suggestion was take two pain pills every four hours for the first two weeks. I followed this suggestion and it was the smartest thing to do. I learned quickly it easier to keep the pain level low, then to lower the pain when it's high. I started with percadine until they were gone, from then on vicodin was what help. It was important to eat something and drink plenty of water. Constipation is a side effect so stool softners are needed.
They tell you to keep your foot elevated higher then your heart. Ice consistently, I didn't feel It all the time, but when I didn't have ice i could feel the difference.
Last edited by Grcfoster; 07-12-2012 at 11:02 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Grcfoster For This Useful Post: janewhite1 (07-12-2012)
Hi there and thank you for your feedback. My surgery lasted 5hrs. and as of today I am 3 1/2 months of recovery, I graduated to an air cast still on crutches, but am putting weight on my foot and weaning off crutches very slowly. Energy very low and still elevate foot and ice. Will start physical therapy at 4months. Now to answer your question I am doing great, my ankle is great, just have to be patient. Thanks Janewhit1 and hope you are great!
Glad you are doing well! I'm about a month ahead of you with the same surgery. I'm 4 1/2 months out! What part of LA are you in and who did your surgery and where? I lived in LA for 4 years and I miss it!