It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2012, 08:03 PM   #1
(female)

DeidraL HB UserDeidraL HB UserDeidraL HB UserDeidraL HB UserDeidraL HB UserDeidraL HB User
Post Op Ankle Replacement

I had an ankle replacement July 10th 2012. Still experiencing pain. I'd be curious to know how others did with their replacements. I had a Wright InBone.

Old 07-14-2012, 10:52 PM   #2
(male)

LadderMan HB UserLadderMan HB User
Re: Post Op Ankle Replacement

What caused the need for the replacement? Did you have AVN or ON? Just wondering, because I'm looking at another surgery sometime in the near future and learned a lot that I never would have imagined.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-15-2012, 11:10 AM   #3
(female)

DeidraL HB UserDeidraL HB UserDeidraL HB UserDeidraL HB UserDeidraL HB UserDeidraL HB User

I had a fall in 08' where I had a tri malleolar fx. So I broke it pretty bad, no nerve or bone issues. I had developed moderate to severe post traumatic osteo arthritis because of it. My joint just became to where it was bone on bone rubbing. The cartlidge was gone. The dr said my ankle was completely worn out when he went in to do the ankle replacement. The total ankle was my 7th surgery trying to fix it.

Old 07-15-2012, 04:51 PM   #4
(male)

LadderMan HB UserLadderMan HB User

Ouch, I'm sorry to hear that. I had to look up the injury. I wondered about AVN and ON because I just started learning about joint replacements and not sure about how much can be present when they do that particular operation. 7 surgeries..... you're pretty tough, and that's a good thing.

Old 07-15-2012, 05:23 PM   #5
(female)

Thanks I appreciate that. Not sure about the AVN and ON. I know there are people on here that have AVN and that are looking into joint replacement or have done them already. I'm thinking a user named Perimaud maybe is one of them. I'm trying to remember. But I would check with them too, maybe they could help. If you do have any questions about the replacement let me know, I'll do my best to answer them. I've looked into them quite a bit before I had it done.

Old 07-20-2012, 06:15 PM   #6
(male)

danftl HB User

I hope things are going better for you i get my TAR Aug 28. Well i will be asking ques you and noisy got me thru the distraction.

Old 07-20-2012, 07:11 PM   #7
(female)

Dan, I will answer anything and everything I can for you. It was tough finding out recent information on these ankle replacements. I'll let you know what happens at the dr on monday.

Old 07-21-2012, 11:37 PM   #8
(female)

pclare HB Userpclare HB Userpclare HB Userpclare HB Userpclare HB User

I'm very interested in what any of you may post, as I suspect a replacement may be in my future. Thanks for sharing.

Old 07-23-2012, 08:31 PM   #9
(female)

Have 25 staples. Got all but 7 out. Didn't hurt. Doctor said everything looked perfect including X-rays. He was happy there was not much swelling. I can sleep without my cast on but have to be non weight bearing for 2 more weeks when I go back and see him. Nurse told me all my current complaints are completely normal and everything basically looks textbook right now. And I can bathe and sleep without cast on

Old 08-22-2012, 02:24 PM   #10
(female)

Rbauer HB User

Hi Deidra
I, too, had the Inbone 2 put in 1 week before you! I have a similar story in that I badly broke my ankle in '03.. Been suffering ever since. I had only 3 surgeries prior to the replacement over the last 9 years..finally, bit the bullet.! Like you, had severe post traumatic arthritis. I waited as long as I could, as I've been told the younger i am, the more revisions I'll need..I'll be 49 in Oct...but I couldn't take it anymore!! So here I am...
My Doc is insistent that I still sleep in the boot, which as you know is uncomfortable..But, I'm following orders
How is your PT going?
Hoping your pain level has gotten better & you are feeling good!

Robyn

Old 08-22-2012, 04:57 PM   #11
(female)

Have you been walking?? How is your PT going? Pt for me has been going well. I can do one crutch at home and at PT. I'm allowed to put 90 percent body weight on my ankle. I actually took some steps on my own and did ok. It wasnt much but I was happy. I dont have a cane at home, but I use one cane at PT and I think it's easier than the crutch. May have to get one. How is your motion? Which one did you have put in?

Old 08-22-2012, 04:59 PM   #12
(female)

Oh, and I hated sleeping in the boot. SO much easier sleeping without it.

The following user gives a hug of support to DeidraL:
Rbauer (08-22-2012)
Old 08-22-2012, 07:59 PM   #13
(female)

Rbauer HB User

No walking yet...I have the Inbone 2 prosthesis. My Doc is pretty anal about not allowing me to really walk until 12 weeks out. Really wants to make sure the new joint has fused well with the bone. I'm allowed to do a weight bearing stretch and that's about it for weight bearing.The rest of my PT consists of massage, manual manipulation, non weight bearing stretches & exercises to strengthen quad& hip flexor muscles.. Which ankle did you get? Did your Doc also do an Achilles lengthening? this is the 2nd time my Achilles has been lengthened..hopefully it won't shorten up again, which of course will depend on my range of motion & flexibility with my 'new' ankle!
Glad to hear you are progressing well...It's so interesting to me how different Docs have different protocols..I would like to keep in touch with you to see how you are doing...we can compare notes

Old 08-22-2012, 10:19 PM   #14
(female)

pclare HB Userpclare HB Userpclare HB Userpclare HB Userpclare HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeidraL View Post
I actually took some steps on my own and did ok. It wasnt much but I was happy.
Wow, that's amazing! You had your ankle replaced four days after I had this microfracture, and you're ahead of me in recovery?!? That's fantastic, congratulations! I'm truly stunned that such a major surgery could heal so quickly -- that's faster than OATS or practically anything else! That's awesome!

The Following User Says Thank You to pclare For This Useful Post:
DeidraL (08-24-2012)
Old 08-24-2012, 01:13 PM   #15
(female)

I'm having to do this on my phone instead of my laptop right now because this webpage is acting up on my computer. I would love to keep in touch and follow each other's progress. It is different how doctors do the same procedure and follow up so differently. I have an appointment on Monday so we will see what he says then. Hopefully he'll say no more crutches

Reply Reply