It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2012, 02:55 AM   #1
(male)

Overconfident HB User
Poor dorsiflexion after ankle arthroscopy

Hi,
I recently had an ankle arthroscopy to remove a loose body and bone spurs, which had developed following multiple ankle sprains (causing an anterior impingement.)

I had the surgery as my dorsiflexion was very poor (my ankle wasn't moving past 90 deg towards my shin) so as a result I had been having problems with my foot, achilles and knee, due to a twisting motions when walking and running.

Anyway, I'm nearly two weeks post op now and I'm walking pretty well and can balance on one leg, calf raised.

However, my dorsiflexion is still very poor, and I'm getting the exactly the same feeling as I have before the surgery - the joint feels like it is 'locking out' when I lift my toes towards my shin.

So I'm wondering if anyone else knows if this is a normal problem at this stage? At the moment it's making me worried that the op hasn't sorted the problem.

Thanks

Old 01-08-2013, 06:23 AM   #2
(male)

GMc1309 HB User
Thumbs up Re: Poor dorsiflexion after ankle arthroscopy

Hi mate,

Regarding your ankle surgery post - I too am in the exact same situation. I had surgery on 28th Nov.. I'm experiencing the same symptoms and wondering whether your situation has been resolved. If so what did it take? I'd be interested to know what I have ahead of me. Cheers GMc

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-16-2013, 05:34 AM   #3
(male)

saadi1786 HB User
Re: Poor dorsiflexion after ankle arthroscopy

Hi,

Any updates on your injuries/rehab??

I am in the exact same position, recovering post arthroscopy, but dorsiflexion is still restricted.

Would appreciate some advice/info on this. Thanks.

Old 01-16-2013, 07:36 AM   #4
(male)

GMc1309 HB User

Hi,
Ok here is where I'm at.. The NHS have basically said the operation was a success as the problem was removed and NHS Physio have said that maybe I should accept that at 30yrs of age my ankle will never be perfect and learn to live with how it is. This doesn't help my training etc.
I have now gone private to explore ways to get movement in the joint. After 2 1hr sessions of Physio I was referred to another private hospital that have a cybex machine. This works as follows: the problem joint is strapped into a computerised hydraulic machine an your range and motion is calculated. The machine then performs the ankle movement for you plantar/dorsiflex back and forth. The theory being it puts far more reps in that you or a Physio could manage because of fatigue..
Then once that range gets comfortable they increase the range by a couple of degrees an it starts again...
It can be slightly uncomfortable and there is lots of cracking an popping. I'm assured this is just air pockets and stagnated sinovial fluid. That because it hasn't been used and is no longer lubricated as such and more sticky....
Anyway I have had 1 half hr session and my range went from 28 degrees to 52 out of a possible 70!! It has been the first time my knee has gone inline/just over my toes in 2yrs!!!!
I am nearing 2 months post op and I'm really optimistic regarding this treatment. I hope this helps as no one seems to have the answer- I hope I have found it! Gary

The Following User Says Thank You to GMc1309 For This Useful Post:
saadi1786 (01-18-2013)
Old 01-18-2013, 07:45 AM   #5
(male)

saadi1786 HB User

GMc thanks for the input.

If I was waiting on the NHS, I'd still be waiting for a referral or a scan...luckily have medical insurance through work so I've been using that.

Who are you seeing privately, are you based in London? Would appreciate if you could share details of the clinic/physio you are seeing.

It's only been a week since my op, so will give the usual therapy a go first, but it definitely sounds like something to consider. I can deal with all the cracking and popping if I can see some end results...

Old 01-18-2013, 07:46 AM   #6
(male)

saadi1786 HB User

GMc thanks for the input.

If I was waiting on the NHS, I'd still be waiting for a referral or a scan...luckily have medical insurance through work so I've been using that.

Who are you seeing privately, are you based in London? Would appreciate if you could share details of the clinic/physio you are seeing.

It's only been a week since my op, so will give the usual therapy a go first, but it definitely sounds like something to consider. I can deal with all the cracking and popping if I can see some end results...

Old 03-07-2013, 07:38 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB User

I have had 2 ankle reconstructions and I am currently having problems with dorsiflexion as well. My PT also told me that I would probably never get back to where I was prior to both surgeries or be as good as my other foot. One thing my PT did that really helped (after months of the usual exercises to get it to move) was ankle distraction (the exercise, not the surgery). He works on pulling my foot (he stands up and grasps it right where the foot and ankle meet) and pulls it out away from my body. He does this several times because it moves the talus forward. He said this would help because once the bones move, the soft tissues will follow. After doing this several times, he then pushed me into dorsiflexion and felt it click and go back more. It's working pretty well! I will still never be as good as I was and it won't go as far back as my other foot, but it's better.

Old 08-15-2013, 12:27 PM   #8
(male)

Overconfident HB User

Hi everyone, sorry about the very late reply...

Not sure this will be of much help to anyone, but I went for 6 months with no real improvement in pain or dorsiflexion. I then had another arthroscopy to remove one more small bone spur they had missed. Now I'm 6 months months post surgery again, and still no improvement whatsoever.

In fact I'm still much worse than I was 13 months ago.

I've seen 8 physios, 3 surgeons but I've had no indication as to what the problem may be. The surgeons all say that the ankle looks fine and there wasn't much wrong with it in the first place. The physios I've seen have tried to mobilise it in numerous ways, but whatever they do the joint still locks out prematurely, and then swells up within 10mins of sitting down and stiffens even more.

I'm not sure the cybex machine would help me much as I've pushed the joint through plenty of popping and cracking every day for months now, but everytime it just feels like it hits a will and then stiffens up again in no time.

Any advice or updates on your situations would be appreciated. Sorry I've no useful advice to offer in return...

Joel

Closed Thread

Tags
ankle, arthroscopy, dorsiflexion