It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2012, 11:58 AM   #1
(female)

CLC96 HB User
Unhappy After repairing a fractured 5th Metatarsal bone

I broke my 5th Metatarsal bone around the neck portion closest to the pinkie toe. It became dispaced and the surgeon who did my surgery put a plate on the bone. It has been a month since my surgery on June 19th. I go tomorrow to take off the fiberglass cast and get the sutures removed. My question is how painful is it to remove the sutures (I have never broken a bone or had stitches so I don't know)? Will they put me in another cast with non-weight bearing again and for how long? Or will they allow me to put some weight on my foot? How much longer will I have before I can be mobile enough to do basic things around the house and take a real bath or shower, and how long before they will allow me to drive again since I broke the bone in my right foot. I am a school teacher so thank goodness this happened over the summer, but now it is time to start thinking about the classroom again and I need to know if I will be able to return to work August 20th? Or will I need to write sub plans and find a sub to start the school year? Please respond if you have ever experienced this type of injury.

Old 07-16-2012, 12:38 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB User
Re: After repairing a fractured 5th Metatarsal bone

Welcome to the Boards! Sorry you need them, but glad you found them. I broke my 5th met on my left foot and I actually avoided a screw because thankfully after 6 weeks on crutches and a bone stimulator, it formed a union. So I don't know exactly what you are going through, but I'm no stranger to foot surgery as I've had 2 ankle reconstructions and am still recovering from the 2nd. Sutures can be a bit painful coming out to be honest. Not awful pain, but both times mine did hurt. It all depends on your doctor as to whether or not he will put you in another cast or in a boot and whether or not you will be able to bear weight or continue with NWB. Usually those fractures are 6 wks NWB, but again every doctor is different. All of that will then depend on how soon you can bathe it and how soon you will be independent with your activities of daily living or ADLs. As far as driving, for legal and safety reasons, you need to no longer be in a cast or boot and be able to fully work the gas pedal and brake pedal with minimal to no pain. I know these are vague varying answers, but unfortunately without knowing what your doctor does, not much way of knowing the answers. I'm surprised he didn't tell you how long. Good luck and let us know how it goes!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-19-2012, 11:22 AM   #3
(female)

CLC96 HB User

Thanks, I was referred by urgent care to an orthopedic foot and ankle place, they got me in with a podiatrist which in turn told me I was going to need surgery so she got her colleague and he was a foot and ankle surgeon, he has not really told me anything other than I was going to need either a pin or a plate and he didn't know which until he could get in there. Then he talked to my parents while I was in recovery but he hasn't really told me anything other than I have to stay off of my foot. I go back August 1st and I'm going to request that he go over everything with me...because this is my job we are talking about and my independence. I have even considered learning to drive with my left foot. I need to be able to drive, I can't depend on everyone to come get me all the time...and I hate waiting for a ride. I did ditch the crutches and now use a knee walker to get around which has made things a little easier.

When I go back on August 1st, I will have been in a NWB cast for 6 weeks. School starts August 20th...just trying to figure out what I am going to do, I am not allowed to wear a boot to work. But I know I was still driving and stuff after I broke my bone, its only broken in one area, and it didn't shatter...I'm a non smoker, I am a little over weight, and I drink a lot of caffeine. However I have reduced the amount of soda I drink to about 1 and half cans a day instead of 3 to 5 cans. I don't know...I guess I am more concerned with not starting the year out, because I teach children with special needs, and I had to move classrooms so everything is in boxes and I need to unpack and put things away and at least get the room set up with help of course. Then I can feel better about a sub coming in to teach my kids.

Old 07-19-2012, 11:12 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB User

Glad you got some answers and I know it's frustrating, but don't drive with your left foot and don't drive with your right until cast and boot are off. This is a huge liability and in a lot of states illegal. If you were to get into an accident even if it wasnt caused by your foot, you would be hosed. We were just talking about this in another thread recently on here. I forgot thr name of it, but look because I think you can find it. Eye opener!

Closed Thread

Tags
5th metatarsal, foot surgery