HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Foot & Ankle Problems (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/foot-ankle-problems/)
-   -   really down! (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/foot-ankle-problems/909703-really-down.html)

wynnshire 07-15-2012 02:47 PM

really down!

I fractured my heel in 10 places and have been stuck in my home alone during the day. I am doing what the doctor says and am so glad I have not had to have surgery like so many other people on here.

One of the best things I have gotten is a knee scooter. I have a walker and a wheelchair as well but the scooter has been the best getting around.

I am reading, have a laptop, a puzzle, and TV but my mind is really down. Any other suggestions to help me get through the next 8 weeks until I begin to put weight on my right foot. No..can't even drive with it being my right foot. Lost my job too.

Hollywood48 07-16-2012 01:49 AM

Re: really down!

I'm so sorry to hear what all you are going through. I can't believe you lost your job! How terrible! Why did they let you go? Do they not legally have to hold your position? As far as the NWB, I totally understand that. I was just NWB for 6 weeks (wound up being 8 by the time I was totally off them) from end of Feb to April. I did all the things you are doing. Do you have friends or family that can stop in and visit or someone who could coordinate a meal delivery system which can facilitate visits and get you food? That helped me out greatly. I know it stinks, but it is temporary! The knee scooter is awesome isn't it? Hang in there and use the boards! People on here know what you are going through and are here for support!

LadderMan 07-16-2012 01:55 AM

I'm sorry to hear about the injury, but you're not all alone. You know that by reading all the others posting their experiences. It'll get better and you'll be back out in the world soon. I had to google the knee scooter. That's AWESOME! I wish I had known about that thing a long time ago. I wonder if someone has thought about something like that, but set up like a unicycle that straps to the injured leg and has a small wheel on the side of the frame and leg, as opposed to underneath it. you could be sitting on a narrow seat and glide around like a skateboarder. Then again, we might see more re-injuries because people might be out having fun on them and not paying attention to doctor's orders. I'd be one of those. lol!

LadderMan 07-16-2012 02:16 AM

Had to come back and thank you for mentioning the knee walker. I so wish I had known those existed before. I don't know how long they've been around, but when i think of the past 19 years I've spent with what walking I do have and see how much easier it would have been with one of those, I just shake my head. Those open up a ton of possibilities for after I have my next surgery. Thank you!

Hollywood48 07-16-2012 02:48 AM

LADDER-They actually have apparatuses close to what you are talking about. Look up knee leg crutch walk free crutch. Pretty cool! Thr knee scooter is too and I used it too!

LadderMan 07-16-2012 03:30 AM

/Sigh! I had 3 ankle surgeries in about 4 years time. I had no idea these things existed, so I am feeling so much less anxiety over the next surgery. Gosh, I learn so much from all of you here. :)

wynnshire 07-16-2012 06:33 AM

How amazing it was to already hear from some of you! I should have been on here earlier! Thank you for all your support so far and I look forward to hearing from more of you as time goes by. Thank you~

My job...I had been there working part time for 3 weeks only. It was a retail job and the HR indicated they could hold it for 6 weeks. I understand that I can go and reapply for it when all this ends. We shall see!

The part I have the most difficulty with is the depression. I feel so down about all this. I am a very active person and love being outdoors. The weather is horribly hot these days so inside is where most of us are.

I told my finance that if I could get out in the car one time each day it would be really nice.

Have you seen the GIECO commercial with the pig and his pinwheels? That is exactly what I feel like when I get outside. WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Have a good day. I am so very happy you are here for me!

ljt77 07-16-2012 07:23 AM

Hi Wynnshire,

Not sure I have much to say that would be helpful, except that what you are feeling is totally normal!

I had pttd surgery in May and am slowly recovering...after 8 weeks non weight bearing I just started partial weight bearing in a walking boot a week ago. It's been more painful than I anticipated and it feels somewhat like a setback rather than an improvement. Going from using the scooter, which is not ideal but allows for carrying things, back to crutches is such a pain! I am hoping to go down to one crutch by the end of the week...but I know that when I get the OK to go into a shoe I might need them again!

This is a very tough recovery mentally and emotionally. I did not lose my job, but I am in a job that I started 9 months ago and have not found my groove in at all. I also had cranial surgery in January for Chiari so it's been a double whammy. But honestly this surgery and being so dependent on others has taken a much higher toll emotionally. I find myself crying at the drop of a hat and feeling like there is no end in sight. But there has been progress and you will have progress too.

Best thing is to try to get out like you said. The heat has kept me in more than I would like but I think that's going to break soon. Also anything that can give you a sense of accomplishment, even if it's sorting socks or surface cleaning, is a good thing. The first time I managed to cook dinner while using the scooter was a big triumph!!

Best of luck to you in your healing, these boards are a great resource and have definitely helped me stay sane...

swimbunnie 07-16-2012 08:00 AM

I was in the same position as you, one year ago. I live alone and could not drive for 3.5 months. I did have people come over at times, but it was very easy to get depressed. I found journaling and connecting to my spiritual side was a big help, along with reading. I also found establishing a routine for myself was a big help, regardless of how limited it was. So you know what you can look forward to....just came back from my mile long morning walk. Although there are times the foot gets stiff and sore, it does not limit me anymore. Hugs, Bunnie

luv2Boutside 07-16-2012 08:28 AM

Wynnshire.
I can totally relate to that. That is my biggest fear - boredom and depression. I will be having surgery on Thursday with 6 weeks NWB. I plan to take it 1 day at a time. I already stocked up on books, magazines, movies and stuff to do. Let me know how you are progressing cuz I'll be right behind you!!

wynnshire 08-27-2012 10:00 AM

Hi Guys! I can start to drive if I remove my boot. What a wonderful accomplishment. Now i must try and give up my knee scooter and start to put weight on my foot. It really hurts and I am so afraid that I might be set back. It hurts my ankel the most. Just trying to do a little each day. Should I continue to wear my boot or do you suggest i get some good "shoes"? I hear that icing is good and put just a little weight on it is best rather than just walking right foot and then left. I need your best suggestions! What about compression socks? Next week it will be just me and my walker but i feel my boot is moving all around inside. Thanks for helping me with my next steps. YOU ARE THE BEST!!!!

pclare 08-27-2012 04:20 PM

Your doctor should tell you whether or not you should be going straight to a sneaker or the boot, so if he/she hasn't, you should give a call and ask, because that's important. If you were told to start "partial weight bearing," that means either to use a boot and no crutches, or to use crutches and no boot, or to use a boot AND crutches, depending on what your circumstances and immediate goals are.

After my OATS surgery, I went into a boot, but after this microfracture, he told me to go right into sneakers and skip the boot altogether if at all possible. I started PWB one week ago. I've weaned myself down to using just one crutch so far, and have taken a few steps here and there on my own two feet, although I certainly didn't look too graceful doing it -- more like drunk Frankenstein.

I force myself not to use the scooter anymore unless I've either pushed myself too much and need a break, or I need to carry stuff. Now that I can use one crutch most of the time, I can carry light things (like a plate of food or clothes for a shower), so I'm using the scooter very infrequently. If I need to go out for the day, I'll still pack it into the car, just in case.

wynnshire 08-27-2012 04:36 PM

[QUOTE=pclare;5046493]Your doctor should tell you whether or not you should be going straight to a sneaker or the boot, so if he/she hasn't, you should give a call and ask, because that's important. If you were told to start "partial weight bearing," that means either to use a boot and no crutches, or to use crutches and no boot, or to use a boot AND crutches, depending on what your circumstances and immediate goals are.

After my OATS surgery, I went into a boot, but after this microfracture, he told me to go right into sneakers and skip the boot altogether if at all possible. I started PWB one week ago. I've weaned myself down to using just one crutch so far, and have taken a few steps here and there on my own two feet, although I certainly didn't look too graceful doing it -- more like drunk Frankenstein.

I force myself not to use the scooter anymore unless I've either pushed myself too much and need a break, or I need to carry stuff. Now that I can use one crutch most of the time, I can carry light things (like a plate of food or clothes for a shower), so I'm using the scooter very infrequently. If I need to go out for the day, I'll still pack it into the car, just in case.[/QUOTE]

wynnshire 08-27-2012 04:44 PM

Thank you for your response. I did put in a call and hope to hear from my dr. tomorrow. In the mean time...I will just use my boot and walker and go slow. I tend to try and do too much anyway and so this afternoon climbed in the bed to try and rest some. It takes a lot of energy to do all this. I am 56 and have never broken a bone and really did it good on my first fall from that 6 foot ladder. 10 fractures in my heel have been like going through my divorce! The outlook is better but really want to get back to work soon. I interviewed for a job on my knee scooter and that surely did not go over well. Wearing a boot and using a walker doesnt look too good either! OH WELL.

I had a friend who got out of her boot too soon with broken bone on top of her foot and found out she rebroke them. HORRIBLE!!

Missyluke 08-27-2012 05:23 PM

Wynnshire: I know this part is so incredibly difficult. I have been there several times. Just remember, with each passing day you are one day closer to your goal. Recovery is such a roller coaster ride - it has many ups and downs. But, as you read from many on the boards, some are going through it and some have been through it. There will be an end. I know the puzzles and reading really grow old. Is there a project you can start? Maybe look in to taking an on-line course.