It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2012, 05:12 PM   #1
(male)

fld1182 HB User
large knot on side of foot

My doctor told me today that I had a fallen arch, there is a large knot on the side of my foot; xrays show no broken bones...What can I do to prevent the knot from getting larger? The doctor told me that pain would soon follow, at this point no pain, but a very large knot, that is making my shoe stick out...

Old 07-17-2012, 08:35 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

danabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB User
Re: large knot on side of foot

Quote:
Originally Posted by fld1182 View Post
My doctor told me today that I had a fallen arch, there is a large knot on the side of my foot; xrays show no broken bones...What can I do to prevent the knot from getting larger? The doctor told me that pain would soon follow, at this point no pain, but a very large knot, that is making my shoe stick out...
If you have a falling arch, PLEASE, PLEASE do not fall for orthotics because they make the arch even weaker and I speak from experience. I have had fallen arches and they can be made stronger with exercises. The reason you have that ball is due to the fallen arch. If you can find a good physical therapist, he or she can help you in this line. I found a VERY good one at the gym I belong to and he has strengthened my arches. When I first went to him, my feet were flatter than pancakes and my ankles and feet were very, very stiff from orthotics. He has done more for me than anyone in the medical field!!! You didn't say you are wearing orthotics, but I can tell you that they just make the feet even weaker. My shoes stuck out as well, but since going to this man, my feet are much straighter and my arches have risen and my feet no longer stick out. Falling arches can cause all sorts of trouble. My toes were starting to curl as well, but since seeing this man, my toes are nice and straight in one foot and we are getting there with the other foot. Stay clear of any surgery because it is not needed as well!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-17-2012, 08:52 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

An arch that suddenly falls in an adult means a torn posterior tibial tendon. If the tear is mild, it can be treated with rest and PT. Otherwise surgery may be required.

However, there are other possible causes of flat feet, especially in children.

Old 07-17-2012, 07:04 PM   #4
(female)

wants to walk HB Userwants to walk HB Userwants to walk HB Userwants to walk HB Userwants to walk HB Userwants to walk HB Userwants to walk HB Userwants to walk HB User

Did your doctor reccomend any treatment for you? Depending on how, what is damaged, the treatments may vary.
I had a torn posterior tibial tendon that caused my arch to fall and had surgery to fix it, including cutting my heel bone and shifting it. It worked for me.

Closed Thread