It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2012, 08:23 AM   #1
(female)

ljturner HB Userljturner HB Userljturner HB Userljturner HB User
Question Boot gone bad? Should I get a new one?

Hi All,

I am almost 9 weeks post pttd surgery and am now PWB in the boot. My boot is from 2009, I wore it when I first injured my foot back then (FWB) for about six weeks. I started wearing it again three weeks after my surgery and was NWB for the first five.

Now that I am PWB I notice that the boot may be breaking down to some extent. The velcro on the large flap on the calf doesn't hold much at all so I rely on the straps. Alsp the valve that controls the air bladders is sometimes impossible to open when it's turned tight to keep air in.

I also wonder if it's too big - they gave me a medium when I got it and without pumping a lot of air into it it's very loose and heavy. The insole also seems to make my heel hurt, which I realize may be more due to the surgery than the boot.

I will be in the boot at least another 4 - 6 weeks, should I call about getting a new one? Any replies are appreciated!!

Old 07-17-2012, 11:25 PM   #2
(male)

LadderMan HB UserLadderMan HB User
Re: Boot gone bad? Should I get a new one?

If it's not doing its job and not helping you in the PWB, I'd try to replace it with one that fits better and does the job. I think that's one thing that I did wrong, when I was supposed to be PWB. I had to work to support the family, and was walking much more than I should have been for proper recovery. That may be partly responsible for the next surgery coming soon.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-18-2012, 10:36 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB User

I think I'd probably go to be fitted with a new one as well!!

Old 07-19-2012, 06:25 AM   #4
(female)

ljturner HB Userljturner HB Userljturner HB Userljturner HB User

Thanks for the replies, just got back from getting a brand new boot! They put me in a small which seems to fit much better, hoping this will help me get rid of the crutches...the other one was definitely too big and too loose. The nurse said right away that the medium was the wrong size.

My heel seems to be the worst in terms of pain at this point. I know I have a long way to go, but I am glad I called and get the new boot. It puts a little spring in my "step!!

Old 07-19-2012, 07:16 AM   #5
(male)

LadderMan HB UserLadderMan HB User

Excellent news. The smaller size will more readily keep you in PWB. Take good care of it and take your time.

Closed Thread