It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2012, 02:36 PM   #1
(female)

soldierbadfeet HB User
Unhappy dry needling in feet hoping no surgery

I discovered this site today when trying to research my options for treatment of my multiple foot injuries. I am in the Army currently trying to prepare for my second deployment only I am fighting to get my feet to the point where I can at least walk and bear weight for more than mear minutes. I am always in pain, to what degree depends on the day, the activity level, and how much I push my injuries.

I have trigger points in both feet in the muscles on the inside of the feet that control balance/ big toe movement so basically my muscles knot up in multiple spots and are severely painful to walk on, also plantar fasciitis in both feet (inflammation of the thick tissue on the bottom of the foot) I lack ability to stand on toes and flex arch due to pain and discomfort and increased swelling if I do so. I also have no feeling on the tops of both feet and ankles due to pressure and/ or pinching of the nerve group on the top of the ankles.

Treatments I have had so far are inserts of all kinds, stretch band sock, physical therapy, Iontophoresis, and dry needling. Dry needling is a solid accupuncture needling inserted into multiple trigger points along the muscle of both feet in order to cause the muscle to quiver and release temporarily releasing the knot that forms giving me 2days after of intense pain then 2-6 days after that of little to no pain. Dry needling is repeated every 1-2 weeks as long as needed. I am about to go for the 4th time, very painful.

My doctor pretty much told me the only options now are botox injections into the muscle which lasts longer IF it works and if it doesnt surgery. I want to find others out there with similar issues and see what treatments have worked or not worked and if ANYONE has had experience with botox injected for pain. The listed side affects honestly frighten me about having it done.

I need help and want to eventually have my life back and be able to start a family (my doc said my feet currently could not withstand a pregnency) and to be able to hike and run again and be usefull again.

Last edited by soldierbadfeet; 07-17-2012 at 03:59 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-17-2012, 05:03 PM   #2
(female)

wants to walk HB Userwants to walk HB Userwants to walk HB Userwants to walk HB Userwants to walk HB Userwants to walk HB Userwants to walk HB Userwants to walk HB User
Re: dry needling in feet hoping no surgery

Do you find that dry needling is helping in the longer term? I know I had it done on my calf (which is a much large muscle I know) after recovering from serious ankle surgery that had me in casts over 12 weeks. I can relate to the intense pain/cramping after dry needling. Mine would last for about 3 days but as the sessions went on, the cramping/charley horses would only last for about 24-36 hours. I was having it done twice a week. Would moving your dry needling closer together maybe help you in the long run?
I hope that things turn for the better for you!

Also, check out "The Stick". I bought one on advice from my sports phyio who did my dry needling. I use it at home to help work out knots and I love it.

Last edited by wants to walk; 07-17-2012 at 05:10 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to wants to walk For This Useful Post:
soldierbadfeet (08-21-2012)
Old 07-17-2012, 06:30 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

danabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB User

If the plantar facia is inflamed, and it sounds to me as if yours is, it will create all the symptoms you have! I have always been a very, very athletic person and could move like a cheetah until all of a sudden my feet and legs went weak. For the love of me, I could not figure out what caused it. To make a long story short, when I moved to my present location, I had foot surgery and the surgeon referred me to a man who made my orthotics. I have had flat feet for years and thought this was all inherited. Well, generally speaking, one is not form with a flat feet!! After wearing orthotics for years, I found out they caused the muscles in my legs to atrophy and hence made them very, very weak, which, in turn, caused problems in the feet. I had numbness down there and could not stand on my toes due to weak ankles. I found a person in the gym I belong to, who is a physical therapist, and since seeing him my arch has improved, my feet have improved as has my circulation and the ankle swelling has gone down. If the feet are off, it can throw the hips off, make them weak, make your leg weak and also deform your feet. If you can find exercises to make the ankles stronger and if you can find someone to help you in this area, you will find relief, but it will take time. Stay clear of any surgery and also orthotics. They are just money makers for the doctors in a case like mine and maybe yours. Good luck!

The Following User Says Thank You to danabarb For This Useful Post:
soldierbadfeet (08-21-2012)
Old 07-23-2012, 05:28 AM   #4
(female)

soldierbadfeet HB User

Thank you for the replies. Dry needling hurts for 36 to 48 hours afterwards and the benifit only lasts about 2 to 6 days depending on how bad my feet were by the time I get it done each time. I would like to get it done more often but being on military healthcare and on the most crowded post in the Army appointments are few and far between. I can only make an appt for this 2 weeks out yet by then those 2 weeks are nearly full up.

I use a highlighter to roll on the muscle for knots if that is similar to what you are talking about. It helps a little but as soon as I am up on my feet no matter what I did Im in pain and there is little that helps once the pain starts. I have a high tolerance but after 5 months of near constant pain it is wearing me down. I am trying to deploy and take care of my soldiers but I find myself unable to do everything I know I could do if my feet were better.

When my doc told me that my feet wouldn't hold up to a pregnency it really hit me how bad they are. I dont want surgery but I dont know what else to do. Ive done stretches, exercises, stretch socks, rolling the knots, dry needling, taping, 4 types of inserts. and now maybe I'll do botox in my feet (not optimistic about that one).

Frustration is my daily thing lately.

Closed Thread