It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2012, 08:23 AM   #1
(female)

Mom of 12yr old HB User
Modified kinder procedure- do it or not?

I am hoping for input here- my 12 yr old daughter was doing gymnastics in the house (a move she deeply regrets!) and hit her arch on the door frame. She has been in pain since. An MRI and x-ray revealed no breaks but at the tendon where it attaches, there is significant inflammation. She has an extra navicular and very flat feet. The tendon is attached to the accessory bone. She has been in & out of a boot (mostly in- now transitioning to a tennis shoe with lift) for 4 months now and been in PT for the last 6 wks. Her ankle is weak and she still has pain daily (at times waking her at night). We saw the orthopedic dr today and discussed what to do from here. He expected more progress at this point. Our options- continue therapy or surgery. Surgery would be the modified kidner procedure as well as removing a small part of her heal bone (I think I have that right- hubby has the papers at work) to address the flat foot. She is a very active girl who has been very limited by this. We were told recovery would be 6-8 wks NWB and immobilized, followed by increasing activity and weight baring with PT. Total recovery 4-6 months. Wish we had a magic ball. If we do surgery, we would like to do it soon so has limited time on crutches when school starts back up. We are struggling with what to do. Any words of wisdom?

Old 07-19-2012, 04:57 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Missyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB User
Re: Modified kinder procedure- do it or not?

Truthfully, I would say go for the surgery. If her feet are flat, once you become symptomatic, I am not sure there is any other real fix. I developed flat feet as an adult and also had the accessory navicular bone. My ptt ruptured and the accessory bone broke off. I had flat foot reconstruction surgery (calcaneal osteotomy, modified kidner procedure, achielles tendon lengthening, ptt repair and fdl tendon transfer). My foot, from this procedure, healed well. Problem is the recovery. It is a long and sometimes frustrating road to full recovery. It truly takes up to a full year for a full recovery. The other thing you have to think about is I believe the success rate is 85%. Knowing this, I would still recommend the surgery. Please do you research on who performs the surgery. You need to know how many of these types of surgeries he does a month. It is a complicated surgery and you want to make sure that the surgeon is highly qualified to perform the procedure.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread

Tags
accessory navicular, arch pain, flat feet, recovery time