It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2012, 08:02 PM   #1
(female)

singitanyway HB User
Question PT after brostrom procedure?

I had a brostrom procedure done on my left ankle 7 weeks ago. I go back to the doctor in 2 weeks to get my cast off, and at that point I am also going to schedule physical therapy. I was wondering how much PT I am going to need? I ask because I work during the week. I usually don't get out until 5:30, and I have no idea how I would be able to do PT at the same time. If it's really necessary, I will obviously work it out though!
another question: will I have to wear some kind of boot after I get my cast off? and for how long?
Also, I was told that I also might need the same surgery done on my right ankle. If I do need this (I find out in two weeks when I get my cast off), how long should I wait for my left ankle to heal? I just want to get this done and over with as soon as I can! I haven't had a chance to have any of these questions answered; I haven't seen my doctor since the day of my surgery.
thank you for any help!

Old 07-19-2012, 11:25 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB User
Re: PT after brostrom procedure?

Hi! Ok so first, yes you really do need PT!! Take it from me-I've had 2 Brostroms on my left ankle (and other stuff in addition to the 2nd Brostrom). After thr first one, I had NO PT and it was awful!! Much longer recovery, hard, had to figure it out on my own and I never regained Proprioception and I believe that is part of what lead to the 2nd surgery. I had Brostrom #2 along with peroneal tendon repair, retinaculum repair and osteotomy for fibular groove deepening on 2/22/12 and I had nearly 3 months of PT 2-3x/wk and it was a MUCH better, easier, and quicker recovery! Night and day! So definitely work it out!! Do it early in the morning before you go in maybe? There are some clinics that open early like at 7 or 7:30 for that reason. Yes, you should go into a boot after you get your cast off. I did both times as you aren't able to walk the day your cast comes off and you're told you can bear wait. It takes a while to transition. As far as needing the surgery on your right and when to do it, I'd wait a year to be sure you've given your left ankle enough time to solidly heel and you've gotten your calf muscle completely back so it can do a good job of supporting you when youre NWB for the right ankle. It takes a full year for you to fully regain the full muscle mass. Hope that helps and definitely nail down your doctor and have him tell you everything!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-19-2012, 11:51 PM   #3
(female)

singitanyway HB User

The problem is that I work from 6am-5pm 4 days a week (kinda crazy and painful on this ankle), and I never know what day I have off ahead of time, so scheduling PT would be difficult. But I will definitely get off early a few nights so that I can go. I definitely don't want recovery to take any longer.
As for the surgery on my other ankle, I was expecting to maybe have it done Christmas break, but I guess that's out of the question! I'm just trying to avoid another summer in a cast.
I'll definitely talk to the doctor when I go in. Thanks again for your help!

Old 07-19-2012, 11:52 PM   #4
(female)

singitanyway HB User

The problem is that I work from 6am-5pm 4 days a week (kinda crazy and painful on this ankle), and I never know what day I have off ahead of time, so scheduling PT would be difficult. But I will definitely get off early a few nights so that I can go. I definitely don't want recovery to take any longer.
As for the surgery on my other ankle, I was expecting to maybe have it done Christmas break, but I guess that's out of the question! I'm just trying to avoid another summer in a cast.
I'll definitely talk to the doctor when I go in. Thanks again for your help!

Old 07-20-2012, 12:42 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB User

What about doing it on your lunch break or getting to work at 6, but maybe going to PT at 8 or 9? Or 4 and be done for the day? I know it will NOT be easy because the first time I ever did PT (between my 2 ankle surgeries and for my back, not ankle), I worked similar hours. 7:30a-6p but only 4 days a week; however, I lived so far from work that I didn't drive in on my off day so I did it all either first thing in the morning, over lunch, or last appt of the day.

I totally understand you wanting to have your next surgery in December or a winter month. I had my first in August and it was SO hot and brutal to be in a cast, boot and on crutches. When I found out I had to have the 2nd surgery, I wanted to have it done in the winter also. I had it done in Feb and wouldn't you know we had NO winter this year!! It is usually threatening snow and/or snows 1–2 times in Feb and we had nothing but warming temps! Still wasn't as bad as August, still! I remember we had 90s in May when I was finishing up weaning off the crutches and then we had in the 100s in June! Yuck! So I get it. You could always wait until Dec 2013 to have it done! Talk to your doctor and see, but honestly you will still be swelling so much that it isn't good for the left ankle to put so much stress on it by having the right done so soon! I was SO swollen today and it hurt too! My doctor told me I would have swelling and some pain up until 9 months out possibly and this true. It happened that way the first time too, my first doctor just didn't tell me that!

Old 07-20-2012, 07:46 PM   #6
(female)

singitanyway HB User

I don't really have a lunch break at all, I just nanny for 4 days a week. I'll probably ask the parents if I can leave an hour or so early a few times so I can go to PT. (:
And it has been so hot this summer! It's been in the 90s and 100s all month when it's usually only in the 80s. So I definitely wasn't expecting this! Though crutches in the winter might also not be the best idea (I'm not the most coordinated person :P). I'm going to ask the doctor what he recommends! I might just do it right after I get out of school in early May (I'll have to do it during some break), just to get it done as soon as possible.

Old 07-20-2012, 07:48 PM   #7
(female)

singitanyway HB User

I don't really have a lunch break at all, I just nanny for 4 days a week all day. I'll probably ask the parents if I can leave an hour or so early a few times so I can go to PT. (:
And it has been so hot this summer! It's been in the 90s and 100s all month when it's usually only in the 80s. So I definitely wasn't expecting this! Though crutches in the winter might also not be the best idea (I'm not the most coordinated person :P). I'm going to ask the doctor what he recommends! I might just do it right after I get out of school in early May (I'll have to do it during some break), just to get it done as soon as possible.

Old 07-20-2012, 09:45 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

End of May would be close enough I'm sure!! I see what you mean on the lunch break thing. I would just tell the parents you have to do the PT. I'm sure with them knowing you've had this surgery, they are expecting you to have to do some PT. That's the biggest thing people would ask me-when do you start PT? And yep, in MI, I guess crutches might be great in the winter if you aren't very coordinated. Since we only get snow 1-3 times a year and its usually only here 1 day, it's a nonissue here!

Closed Thread