It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2012, 03:14 PM   #1
(female)

nakigirl HB User
Foot surgery outcomes

Hi all, I am new to this board, and have found it interesting reading.
My surgery for right foot Calcaneal osteotomy, 1st metatarsal osteotomy, peroneal tendon debridement and plantar fascia release is set for next week.
I was wondering if anyone else has had similar surgery with POSITIVE results and recovery.
I have read all the negatives, and really feel for you that have had to go through that.
BUT, I would like to think positive!
Looking forward to any feedback. Thanks.

Last edited by nakigirl; 07-20-2012 at 03:15 PM.

Old 07-20-2012, 07:27 PM   #2
(male)

LadderMan HB UserLadderMan HB User
Re: Foot surgery outcomes

That sounds like a lot of work to have done all at one time. I wish you well and hope your recovery is speedy. Remember, don't rush recovery and let your body heal. It'll pay off in the end.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-20-2012, 07:31 PM   #3
(female)

nakigirl HB User

Yes it is a lot, but the surgeon thinks it is better to do it all in one go.
I am an "on the go" sort of person, so know it will be hard to keep still while recovering.

Old 07-20-2012, 07:42 PM   #4
(male)

I have an appt with a surgeon to look at my rt ankle/foot. From reading the reprt on my CT scan and talking to the podiatrist who referred me, there are 4 joints to be considered, possible osteonecrosis of the talus and a spur developing at the posterior subtalar joint. I feel like a scared little kid on his way to the principal's office.

I figure I'll be doing a lot of reading in the near future, because I know I shouldn't be rushing recovery this time. This is 19 years after I had the accident and I'd like to do things correctly this time.

This board is comforting.

Old 07-20-2012, 07:48 PM   #5
(female)

nakigirl HB User

I totally understand your being scared. I am a bit the same, but putting on a brave face.
BUT, it will all be over before we know it, and leading a normal life again.

From all the blogs I have read, the best advice I think is to "follow your doctors advice", and rest up.

I am heading off to the library Monday to stock up on books. At least it is winter now and easier to stay indoors without feeling cooped up.

Hope all goes well with you.

Old 07-21-2012, 01:18 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Missyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB User

I believe you do not read alot from the success stories because most times once many are fixed and feeling better they stop posting. I have had several foot surgeries in the past two years and consider all to be successful. In 8/2010 I had flat foot reconstruction surgery (calcaneal osteotomy, fdl tendon transfer, achiellies tendon lengthening, ptt repair and modified kidner procedure) on my left foot. This surgery was successful and I have not had any problems with the tendons involved. Unfortunately in 8/2011 I had a work injury leading to surgery #2. Peroneal tendon repair to fix a tear in left in 11/2011. Again, this surgery was successful. Getting ready for a third surgery (right foot this time) due to same accident. OCD of talus. Hopefully, this will also be successful. Had I not had the accident at work, I probably would not be posting! Good luck with your upcoming surgery. I think I would probably want to have everything done at once to get it all over with once and for all.

The Following User Says Thank You to Missyluke For This Useful Post:
nakigirl (07-21-2012)
Old 07-21-2012, 08:46 AM   #7
(female)

Bajada HB User

I am 10 days out from similar set of procedures (5 in all) and doing really well. Of course don't know final outcome but glad to have done all at once. Am NWB for at least another 3 weeks. Strongly suggest knee scooter - has allowed me to do most of what I want or need to in the house.
Stopped pain meds 3 days ago as no longer needed. Am in calf height air boot. Will be in the boot at least another 6 weeks but hope to be weight bearing for last month.
Surgery itself was outpatient under general anesthesia. He also did a nerve block - mine didn't really take but worth trying. Procedure at 7 am and was home before 11!! Lots of sleep first couple days and then really set.
Your winter there and my high summer here (Arizona - temps over 110) both good times to stay in with lots of books and movies. All best!

The Following User Says Thank You to Bajada For This Useful Post:
nakigirl (07-21-2012)
Old 07-21-2012, 01:03 PM   #8
(male)

Bajada, those are the stories I want to see. It sounds more comforting than what the imagination is conjuring at the moment.
Was the work done in the same general location, or did you have multiple incisions? I had a subtalar arthrodesis, two actually, and both were done through the same spots. The screw fixation was put in at the anterior of the talus, and it left me with what looks like a belly button on the top of my foot. That's what I tell people it is when they ask what happened.
I had staples for one surgery, and stitches for the other. I much prefer the stitches.

Old 07-21-2012, 02:09 PM   #9
(female)

nakigirl HB User

Awesome Bajada!

Last edited by nakigirl; 07-21-2012 at 02:15 PM.

Old 07-21-2012, 02:13 PM   #10
(female)

nakigirl HB User
Thumbs up Re: Foot surgery outcomes

Wow! Well done Bajada. That is what I want to hear! : A good outcome / recovery so far. I do believe that the first few weeks are the worst.
I am told that my surgery will take 2 1/2 hours + under general anesthesia. I will be in hospital for at least 3 days. Have asked for a nerve block to help with the pain.
Not sure how I would cope with being let out as early as you. Is that normal in the USA to be let out so quick after surgery?
I do have a strong pain threshold, so hope to not be on painkillers for too long also.
Knee scooters are very rare in New Zealand, but have got myself a wheeled walking frame which I have been practicing on. It is a little high, but should do the trick nicely.
I also managed to buy a mobility scooter for when I am feeling up to it to get out on the streets and walk the dog. (Not sure how I am going to bend down to pick up doggy doo's yet. LOL)
Surgeon has said 6 weeks in a heavy cast NWB, then 4 weeks in a fiberglass cast LWB, then at least 4 weeks in a moon boot starting to put more weight on it.
I am totally expecting the best, (but am prepared for the worst ).
I know the time will go super fast as long as there are books to read etc.

Old 07-21-2012, 04:32 PM   #11
(female)

Bajada HB User

Ladderman - 3 different incisions all with stitches which come out next week So, not pretty but at least functional which i have not been for months

Nakigirl - Outpatient surgery is very common in the US, all related to insurance. I think I was let out way too early as I was not even awake (well, barely) and I have complained about that. I had been told I'd be at the outpatient surgery for most of the day. Required to have someone to drive and someone at home for first day; my husband took good care of me. Glad you are practicing with your equipment b/c harder once in the cast. I have crutches and walker as well. Use the walker mostly in the shower. The wheeled walking frame sounds perfect. Maybe in the hospital they can measure you carefully and adjust the walker; if equipment doesn't fit, more likely to fall or to hurt other parts of your body - like your shoulders and hands.
All best and keep us posted!

The Following User Says Thank You to Bajada For This Useful Post:
LadderMan (07-21-2012)
Old 07-21-2012, 10:59 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB User

Hi! I have had 2 surgeries and the first one wasnt extremely successful, but worked for a bit. I have failed by it below because ultimately it did fail, BUT it wasn't one of these horror stories you read a lot about on here. I had my first ankle reconstruction (Brostrom) on 8/15/01 after blowing out my ankle ligaments playing flag football. I made thr mistake of having it fixed by a general OS and not a foot/ankle board certified OS. He didn't even send me to PT and I think that contributed to the 2nd surgery because I never regained proprioception which is highly important. Two years later, I started the first of several injuries to the same ankle ranging over a few years. I was told after every one that I'd need surgery again and I kept putting it off. Finally last Nov, I had it checked after my most recent sprain in Sept 2009 and found out not only had I completely blown out my repair, but I had torn my peroneal tendon, the retinaculum and both peroneal tendons were popping out of place. So on 2/22/12, I had a 2nd Brostrom, repair of retinaculum, repair of peroneal tendon, and fibular osteotomy (drilling and breaking the bone) to deepen the groove so the tendons wouldn't pop out anymore. This time I went with a board certified foot/ankle surgeon and I have had the best experience ever! 6 weeks in a fiberglass cast and NWB (almost 8 wks by the time I was completely off crutches), boot for another 4, nearly 3 months of PT starting at the 6 wk mark, and now just a brace for working out, sports, or strenuous activity. I still have swelling almost daily and still have some pain, but my doctor said this will happen up to 9 months post surgery and I will only be 5 months out this upcoming week. The pain is post surgical pain though (and nerve pain from where they had to move the nerve in surgery which is normal), not pain I had before surgery. Although I realize it's early, I definitely feel this surgery was successful and I've been extremely happy with my experience, my doctor, his methods, and his bedside manner. Couldn't have asked for a more caring doctor or PT (who even checked on me while I was overseas a couple weeks ago and since I've been home!!). Yeah, I went to Spain on a mission trip for 2 weeks when I was only 16 weeks out. That was somewhat difficult, but I got through it and it jump started my pace back here at home! Don't think I could've done that without a successful surgery. I'm going to Alaska soon on a family vacation and we will zip line and hike some and I will wear my brace and no doubt it will swell and be painful at times, but again, don't think I could do that or want to do that if it hadn't been successful! There are success stories out there, but as other people have pointed out, the success stories tend to move on and not post anymore. I'm trying to remain active on here to share my more positive (but not perfect!!) story! I hope that helps! And yes, it's common in the US to have surgery as an outpatient. My first surgery was done at 7:30 and I was home by 1pm ad this time it started at 8:30 and I was home by 3pm. Oh and what is a wheeled walking frame and a mobility scooter? Are they like regular walkers with wheels and knee scooters?

The Following User Says Thank You to Hollywood48 For This Useful Post:
nakigirl (07-22-2012)
Old 07-22-2012, 08:54 AM   #13
(female)

Bajada HB User

I was misdiagnosed twice by different podiatrists and believe that the extent of the damage to my foot was caused by the length of time I continued to walk/hike/exercise on it (as pods said I could) until finally got the true dx from foot/ankle board certified ortho. Learned the lesson the hard way but won't repeat!

Old 07-22-2012, 12:48 PM   #14
(female)

nakigirl HB User

Thank you Hollywood48, that is very helpful and reassuring.
Our wheeled walkers are probably what you would call a walking frame. 4 wheels and a lift up seat. I can sit my knee on the seat and scoot along on it. It has a basket under the seat that I will be able to carry my phone etc in it. I will need the seat as my other foot is also not great, and will have trouble supporting my full weight, so it will be very useful to have the seat to sit on to rest.
A mobility scooter is like a miniature golf cart. 4 wheels, headlights, a swivel seat and runs on 2 batteries. It will go about 24 km's before the batteries need recharging. They can be used inside or out.

Old 07-23-2012, 01:17 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB User

Wow ok! Very interesting devices you described!! Cool! And you're welcome! Glad I can help! If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask!! I think the main thing is being confident in your surgeon ( I highly recommend foot/ankle OS) that s/he knows what they are talking about and has done numerous cases that involve your procedure and that his bedside manner is such that he really cares and if something were to go wrong, he has the kind of personality that he'd work very hard to make sure you're comfortable and will be willing to truly listen to your needs and wants and accommodate them as best as he can!

Closed Thread