It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2012, 09:45 AM   #1
(female)

loki2012 HB Userloki2012 HB User
How long hospital stay?

I'm suppose to have lateral ankle stabilization and wanted to know how long I'd have be in hospital and what recovery time would be?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-22-2012, 11:18 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: How long hospital stay?

For most ankle surgeries, you either go home the same day or stay one night in the hospital.

However, full recovery can take quite a while. You'll be on crutches and/or in a boot or cast for at least a month. Then you will have physical therapy and slowly get better at walking. For sports like soccer, with running on grass and sudden changes in direction, it might take a whole year to get back there.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-22-2012, 10:51 PM   #3
(female)

How long was the surgery? Do they put a cath in if u stay overnight?

Old 07-22-2012, 11:07 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

My ankle surgery was simpler, so it only lasted about 20 minutes. I was out of the hospital just a couple hours later. Ligament reconstruction could be an hour or more, though.

The one time I had to stay overnight for surgery, I did not have a catheter.

Generally they let you go home the same day, unless you have another medical condition that makes the surgery more complicated.

Old 07-23-2012, 03:03 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB User

I just had this surgery plus other stuff for the 2nd time this past Feb. It is typically outpatient surgery and lasts anywhere from 1.5-3 hours depending on what all they have to do. Usually no catheter is placed for outpatient or if you stay overnight. Risk of infection is too great and you can and are encouraged to get up and move around if you were to stay overnight. Typically the only reason you stay overnight is if you have an underlying medical condition they'd need to watch you carefully for or if for some reason they can't get your pain under control, but that's rare. As far as recovery, standard is 6 wks NWB in a cast for 3 wks and a boot 3 wks (or cast for the full 6 wks, but either way all NWB). PT starts at 6 wks and goes for however long your doctor and PT feel it should. If your doctor doesn't send his patients to PT, please ask for it! Not having it the first time was part of why I needed the 2nd surgery. You will be in a lace up brace at 10-12 wks out and start slowly back to usual activities. Your doctor should tell you all this and if he hasn't, schedule an appt so you have a full understanding of what he does post op and expects and so you will know about PT and how he manages pain, etc. I also highly recommend using a board certified foot/ankle surgeon (also a mistake from the first surgery as I didn't use a foot/ankle OS). If you have any further questions, please ask away! That's what we're here for! When is your surgery and how did you injure your ankle?

Old 07-25-2012, 06:06 PM   #6
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood48 View Post
I just had this surgery plus other stuff for the 2nd time this past Feb. It is typically outpatient surgery and lasts anywhere from 1.5-3 hours depending on what all they have to do. Usually no catheter is placed for outpatient or if you stay overnight. Risk of infection is too great and you can and are encouraged to get up and move around if you were to stay overnight. Typically the only reason you stay overnight is if you have an underlying medical condition they'd need to watch you carefully for or if for some reason they can't get your pain under control, but that's rare. As far as recovery, standard is 6 wks NWB in a cast for 3 wks and a boot 3 wks (or cast for the full 6 wks, but either way all NWB). PT starts at 6 wks and goes for however long your doctor and PT feel it should. If your doctor doesn't send his patients to PT, please ask for it! Not having it the first time was part of why I needed the 2nd surgery. You will be in a lace up brace at 10-12 wks out and start slowly back to usual activities. Your doctor should tell you all this and if he hasn't, schedule an appt so you have a full understanding of what he does post op and expects and so you will know about PT and how he manages pain, etc. I also highly recommend using a board certified foot/ankle surgeon (also a mistake from the first surgery as I didn't use a foot/ankle OS). If you have any further questions, please ask away! That's what we're here for! When is your surgery and how did you injure your ankle?
Well I have an appt with a foot/ankle spec aug 31st. I rolled my ankle off a curb end of January. It took 5 months before they did an MRI.

Old 07-26-2012, 12:03 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB User

You are headed in the right direction! That's huge that you already have a foot/ ankle OS lined up!Let us know how it goes!!

Closed Thread