It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2012, 01:03 PM   #1
(female)

Grandma Phyllis HB User
Unhappy pain from physical therapy ankle fusion

Am I the only one who experiences extreme pain after a physical therapy session. Use ice, anyone soak foot in warm water? It seems she massages ankle too hard. Been told its a tough recovery. Also told only take a Tylenol and not a pain pill before PT and definitely no ibuprofen as it inhibits healing

Old 07-22-2012, 01:16 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User
Re: pain from physical therapy ankle fusion

hi, so you only get tylenol for pain, that's awful. and you've been told not to take an antiinflammatory? weird. I had achilles resconstruction several yrs ago and I took PT 3 different times (over a 9 month period) and the last one included water walking and therapy and that's the one that really helped. Maybe look into that. also do you have a TENS unit? it will help w/ the pain.

I am also going thru PT right now for rotator cuff surgery and yeah I hurt a lot after PT, I cry during PT. but I also take strong meds before I go, can't imagine not having them.

CJ

The Following User Says Thank You to noevr For This Useful Post:
Grandma Phyllis (07-23-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-23-2012, 01:36 AM   #3
(female)

marble94 HB Usermarble94 HB Usermarble94 HB User

Hi, I actually did a warm water whirlpool at pt for the first 4 weeks. While I had my foot in the whirlpool I was able to move it to start range of motion. It also relaxed my foot for the excersises. My therapist said i should not go to the point of pain. Push what I could but it should not be painful. Of course I was uncomfortable the next day, but that is to be expected.

I took a pain pill the first couple times I went, just in case. Since then (I am 15 weeks post op) my surgeon told me I could take ibuprofen.

It is a long recovery, but be patient and listen to your body. Your ankle will tell you when it has had enough. Good luck.

Old 07-23-2012, 01:51 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB User

Yes I had a good deal of pain when I did PT this past April-June. I never took a pain pill before because I had to drive myself (left foot thankfully). It could be one reason you were advised not to take pain meds before was so you wouldn't overdo it not realizing it because the meds were killing the pain. Mae sense? As far as the PT rubbing too hard, only you will know that. Sometimes they do that to break up scar tissue, but it shouldnt be that painful. Maybe you can ask them to not do it so hard?? I can't believe you only have Tylenol for pain for PT after an ankle fusion. My doctor made sure I had narcotic pain meds to get me through the pain of PT and I had an ankle reconstruction which is an easier recovery than a fusion! I'm so sorry! Could you ask your doctor for something stronger?? As far as the no ibuprofen thing, that is right for a fusion because ibuprofen can impair bone healing (not soft tissue which is why it's ok for a lot of other surgeries). I had a fibular osteotomy (bone broken and drilled) in my surgery and I couldn't take ibuprofen either for a long time. Hope thag helps! Hang in there!!

Old 07-23-2012, 05:12 AM   #5
(female)

Grandma Phyllis HB User
Unhappy Re: pain from physical therapy ankle fusion

Good Am.I was taking hydroco/apap at first went to therapy with nopain THEN she started to massage ankle and heel and I said she was hurting me so dr. said just take tylenol while at therapy and heavy meds when I get home. That way I could tell the therapist when it hurts. I just got tylenol 3 from my family dr. may try that. I did soak foot in warm water and epsom salt. but having terrible time walking with walker but i really dont want to go back to wearing that beautiful black boot it actually doesnt make the pain any better. what pain meds do you take?

Old 07-23-2012, 05:16 AM   #6
(female)

Grandma Phyllis HB User

how does a TENs uniy work???

Old 07-23-2012, 07:27 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User

a TENS is like one of those machine they have at PT where they put those little pads on you and it sends a slight electrical pulse to the pad and helps w/ the pain. The TENS is just a smaller version of it so to say. You could ask your PT about it. cj

Old 07-23-2012, 11:14 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB User

A TENS unit can help a lot. I had one after my first surgery (still have it actually) and I wore it at work since I was on my feet nonstop for 3 hours a day. It's small and clipped on my scrub pants like a pager and had up to 4 wires coming from it (I only used 2 at any one time). Put the electrodes on the spot I need the stim and run the wires up the inside of my pant leg and hook into the device. Turn it on and set it where I want to and it has a safety mode so you can't accidentally turn it up and over stim/shock yourself! I've done that and ouch!! It's a handy little device that kept me out of pain once I was back at work on my feet for hours and couldn't take anything besides Tylenol or ibuprofen. Percocet is what I took for pain after surgery and during PT. It worked well and my doctor didn't want me going through PT without it. I asked to be dropped down to something not quite as strong (like hydrocodone/lortab) because I felt I didn't need it and he chose to keep me on it because it worked well for me and because he said when we added the osteotomy, it changed the degree of pain. I found out he was SO right!

Old 07-24-2012, 05:10 AM   #9
(female)

Grandma Phyllis HB User

Hi went to PT yesterday Itold her i had #10 pain, she said to go back to the boot for a week. she feels we did much too soon. I did ask about TENS she said medicare wouldnt pay for it, but I thought the cost was about $30??? i would do anything to get out of pain!!!! where can i buy the TENS??I still have those sterisrips SP? on one incision and they hurt and give me a burning feeling. she said I shouldnt take them off as i may get an infection I guess Ill call the dr.. because its hard to walk with that on and pulls. also have to do some stretching for my leg.Where to you attach electrodes on your foot? My pain moves all over my foot. Thanks for your help

Old 07-24-2012, 08:02 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

hi, you'd have to look at a medical supply place or search for one maybe and then once you got the unit I'd get the PT folks to show you how to use it.

oh you said you didn't get much relief when wearing the boot, make sure you have it on right, have it tight enough. it should do the job of taking the weight off your ankle. I know they are ugly and awkard but WEAR it to help w/ the healing. trust me it works. It will give your ankle a break from the pain if you have it on right.

Also see if you can get your dr. to prescribe you some Voltaren gel (hope I didn't tell you this already lol). Its great, its like celebrex in cream form and works instantly. It does get absorbed into the bloodstream though.

Good luck and remember its gonna take some time. cj

Old 07-24-2012, 01:08 PM   #11
(female)

Grandma Phyllis HB User
Wink Re: pain from physical therapy ankle fusion

Hi! I called the dr. and he advised to remove last 3 steristrips. as they caused pain whenexercising or walking. I havethat Voltaren Gel you spoke about and i will try it again i put a little on yesterday but today i will put it all over my ankle and put on the fashionable boot. thanks

Old 07-24-2012, 10:33 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

I agree-wear thr boot! It will take the pressure off your ankle and make walking much easier. Also I was gonna say call your doctor to be sure on the steri-strips because by this point it's ok for them to be removed. A lot of times the doc will just say let them fall off naturally in the shower and a lot of times they will. However sometimes they will hang on and by this time they need to come off especially if they make walking painful! Mine hung on this time and my PT took them off first visit! As for the TENS, yes check medical supply or look online. Definitely let your PT show you how to use it. It isnt difficult, but you do need to know how. I have no idea how much they cost. The guy I was dating at the time I had my first surgery was an athletic trainer for my OS (I was dating him BEFORE my injury, but that is why I went to him)...anyway, he got me a TENS unit to wear at work and I got to keep the entire set in its case which was great. I was lucky with that. I have a TENS and a bone stimulator both in their cases. Wish I hadn't had the injuries or the surgeries that warranted them!

I'm glad you told your PT about the pain and she listened to you! I don't know anything about the Voltaren gel except that I've heard from a ton of people that it's fantastic! Wish I had some! Hope your ankle feels better soon!!

Old 07-25-2012, 09:01 AM   #13
(female)

Grandma Phyllis HB User

Boot back on not happy because my therapist changed settings on side of boot and now tripping. ready to scream. Put Voltaren Gel on foot last night cant tell if it worked as I took a pain pill too. i guess I need to have more patience surgery was May 11 thought id be further along in recovery.

Old 07-25-2012, 09:11 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

I know what you mean Phyllis and I used to HATE HATE that stupid boot! I see people now w/ them on and it makes me cringe. Especially me I have a problem w/ extra hot feet. I know about wanting to feel better too had my rotator cuff done May 14 and I am no where near where I need to be in PT. So we both have to be patient together . Plus we have to do what they tell us to do so we can get better faster, right? (I'm talking to myself now too hee hee). So hang in there, it is a slow process that healing thing and we don't want scar tissue. CJ

Old 07-25-2012, 09:22 AM   #15
(female)

Grandma Phyllis HB User
Talking Re: pain from physical therapy ankle fusion

i was told to pull up my big girl pants and quit whining haha

Closed Thread