It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2012, 01:02 PM   #1
(female)

TeachGirl HB User
Bunionectomy Recovery/Problems

I am now a week post surgery after having a bunionectomy on my left foot. The first week went by with no major issues. The pain mess and numbness really helped. Yesterday I had my first follow up appointment and I don't know if it's just me being overly concerned but now all of a sudden I'm having some problems. At the appointment my bandages were changed and I was given toe exercises to begin. Although I had no pain before the appointment. I now have this weird tightness that I noticed between my first and second toe. It's painful at times and feels "tight" sometimes when walking in my surgical boot. Has anyone else experienced this? Is it normal and will it go away? I've been trying to convince myself it could be soreness from to toe stretches I just started or could even be a result of me walking differently with my new smaller bandage, buy I'm really not sure.

Also, when my doctor removed my bandages I noticed that I have a large space between my first and second toe now. It almost looks like a "V". The doctor said this should close up some when I start walking regularly again. Anyone else have that problem? Did yours close up? After how long?

My last concern is that my big tie and second toe don't touch the ground anymore. They won't lay flat. Will this correct itself with healing?

Old 07-27-2012, 02:25 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Janesfoot HB UserJanesfoot HB UserJanesfoot HB User
Re: Bunionectomy Recovery/Problems

Hi TeachGirl,
My response will be based on my own experience. I had surgery on bunion and bunionette (5th met bunion)on my right foot in 2008, and the same surgery on my left foot two weeks ago. I too felt new pains when I started the toe exercises. You will continue to feel new sensations and pangs as you start to use your foot more.
Yes, it is common for your toes not to touch the floor at first. Part is because they are wrapped up, part because you don't want them to hit the ground and will walk more carefully to avoid contact. First and second toe spread for me wasn't much of a gap for either foot. The first two weeks the toes had gauze between them. Did your doctor move any tendons around? Don't panic! I remember worrying a lot the first time around. This time I'm much more relaxed and recovering more quickly, though I think it is because I have permanent screws instead of the removable pins. I just had my stitches removed and given permission to move around more, and with that, new aches and pains. Follow doctor's directions, and you will be ahead of the game.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-28-2012, 01:05 PM   #3
(female)

ldv5710 HB User
Re: Bunionectomy Recovery/Problems

Hi I also had my left foot done a week ago yesterday. My first post-op appt was 5 days after the surgery. I had it redressed and was told I could start to put some weight bearing to it. Like I could either walk on my heel or side of my foot. I thought i got over the pain hump but for 2 days after the appt I was in agony again! New throbs and pangs ugh I was so worried. Now I believe it was from the redressing and the walking which I should not have forced. I am staying off my feet til my next appt 10 days post-op. My dr did not start toe exercises this early. I wouldn't worry about spaces and not touching the floor til all swelling is done. But I would raise any and all concerns I have with the dr.

Closed Thread