It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2012, 09:14 PM   #1
(male)

roberthd HB User
Horrible foot issues, why are slides the only shoes comfy?

Hi and thank you.

Well, overuse and over-workouts have left me with arthritic, horribly painful feet. I have Morton's neuroma, bunions, plantar fascitis, spinal stenosis, and knee issues (osteoarthritis).

The doc says I can get surgery to fuse arthritic joints in my worse foot (worse for now), but first I got the shot one week ago. It has helped a bit.

However, there is off-on pain all over the feet. I am sick and tired of constantly changing and trying different inserts and orthotics. It's exhausting and nothing seems to be a true fix.

So, here is my question. Why is it that "slides" shoes are comfortable and nothing else? I keep hearing that I need good arch support for my various conditions, but the shoe with the worst arch support is actually the most comfortable?

Also, anyone have experience with Orthofeet shoes for Plantar Fascitis?

Thank you...and I cannot wear "slides" to work. I must be somewhat professional

Old 08-04-2012, 10:56 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User
Re: Horrible foot issues, why are slides the only shoes comfy?

hi, I've had the neueroma and planters surgeries. The neuroma was that bad the planters took a little longer to recoop but I don't have anymore problems with it (had it in 07 I think?). On the shoes, what I used to do was keep several pairs w/ me and change out during the day. I used naturalizers and brands like that. for sandals I used birkenstocks. hope this helps. cj

The Following User Says Thank You to noevr For This Useful Post:
roberthd (08-04-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-04-2012, 12:17 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

danabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB User

Orthotics are the WORST thing in the world for your feet and I speak from experience. They lift your arch, but also weaken all the muscles in your feet and legs and are just money makers for some of these people. I wore them for years and ended up being almost cripple;. Found a good sports therapist, who has done wonders for me. If you have plantar facia, the elastic band under your foot is too tight and that, in turn, can throw everything off. My toes were even curled from them and my ankles were stiffer than a corpse. I three the orthotics out and have loosed the muscles and on one foot my toes are as straight as one could ask for. The other foot, we are still working on, but I think the surgery I had years ago, effected that more than the other one. Please stay clear of those orthotics and get a nice loose fitting shoe that bends in front and in back. With a shoe like this, your foot will go down correctly. Heels are the WORST thing for you as in any elevation,

Old 08-04-2012, 12:27 PM   #4
(male)

roberthd HB User

Wow. Everyone keeps pushing orthotics, so it's nice to get a different perspective. The orthotics they gave me are so rigid that I hate them. I guess this is why the slides are so much more comfy. I will see if the doc can get me a sports therapist. Thank you again.

Old 08-04-2012, 12:56 PM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

See if the makers of the slides also make a dressier shoe. Merrell makes some very comfy shoes. I wore a pair of their mule type (what you are calling a slide) before I had my neuroma removed and they were very comfy. Also wore them after two two surgeries.

Old 08-04-2012, 02:23 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

danabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB User

I know they keep pushing them and, after all I have been through, I want to warn people that they are one of the worst things for a person. All behind the making of them, is the dollar bill, sad to say.

Old 08-04-2012, 04:20 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberthd View Post
Wow. Everyone keeps pushing orthotics, so it's nice to get a different perspective. The orthotics they gave me are so rigid that I hate them. I guess this is why the slides are so much more comfy. I will see if the doc can get me a sports therapist. Thank you again.
I discovered a website after typing to you that I think may be helpful to you. Go to Brian Copeland's Core Fitness and scroll down the page until you come to plantar facia.

Old 08-05-2012, 11:15 AM   #8
(female)

wants to walk HB Userwants to walk HB Userwants to walk HB Userwants to walk HB Userwants to walk HB Userwants to walk HB Userwants to walk HB Userwants to walk HB User

Orthotics can be a very individual experience based on injury/type of orthotic etc... Just like some people have successful surgeries for some things and other have the same surgery which is unsuccessful. No 2 people are alike. So many factors and variables to consider. I dont think it is fair to make a blanket statement.

I was eventually given custom made orthotics for plantar fascitis and they were a life saver. It took a bit of time to adjust to them but after a few months, I was feeling great and was able to return to playing competitive ball hockey. They worked so well, I got a second pair made a year later to save me from having to change them from one pair of shoes to another.

Old 08-08-2012, 06:51 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

I wish you the best. What I wrote was written from horrible experience and as I may have stated, my inserts helped me, at first. They are HORRIBLE for flat feet!!

Old 08-12-2012, 03:26 PM   #10
(female)

sharonshoes HB User

Well some shoes that drs say dont wear becase of many foot problems can become the only shoes you feel comfortable in, for me with bunions and high arches its shocking to know the only shoes that suit my strange feet are good high arch suportive heels that are over 4" so you are not alone with your slides.
Btw orthotics did not work for me infact caused me more pain in lower heels,, just wear what feels best good luck.

Closed Thread

Tags
arch, foot, plantar fascitis, surgery