It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2012, 01:54 PM   #16
Senior Veteran
(female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User
Re: ankle surgery rehab questions & advice?

hi, so glad you don't have any pain! that is great! one thing I wanted to mentioned that I did when I got mine off was doing my ABC's. You point your big toe and try to draw the ABC's with your foot. It really helps get the foot flexing around a bit. Take it slow of course. I had read it online. If it makes you nervous call and ask your dr. about it. Its really not that hard to do. I usually did them in the bath. Cathy

The Following User Says Thank You to noevr For This Useful Post:
jb1966 (11-07-2012)
Old 09-18-2012, 01:35 PM   #17
(male)

brianolson25 HB User

Quick update for everyone - I got some great news today. It has been about 8 weeks since surgery. Today I got the OK to start driving, to start PT, and to start doing limited walking without my crutches. I have to be in my boot, be indoors, and on flat surfaces but it is walking without crutches!! Hooray! I still have a lot of swelling and numbness, but not much pain. I'll update everyone again in a week or two after PT and more walking. Thanks for everyone sharing their info and good luck to all of you going through similar recoveries.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-18-2012, 02:01 PM   #18
(female)

nakigirl HB User

That is awesome.
I am 8 weeks post surgery today and am doing really well. I even got out and took the dog for a short walk on my crutches yesterday.
I also have a wee bit of swelling and numbness down either side of the foot, but virtually no pain. The scars have totally healed over, but the new skin is still a bit soft and tender.
I start PT next Monday, but wont be able to drive in my boot as it is my right foot.
I go back to the ortho in 2 weeks, so hopefully I can get out of the boot and into a shoe.
Keep us informed of your progress. I know before I had the surgery I used to read these threads in the hope of reading some positive outcomes like ours.
Most of the posts are negative and I feel can scare some people off having surgery.

Old 09-18-2012, 02:25 PM   #19
(male)

brianolson25 HB User

Thanks Nakigirl - it sounds like we are in fairly similar situations. One other thing I hadn't mentioned is that I still have a lot of swelling throughout the entire foot. People actually joke that it looks like a mannequin foot because there is so little detail visible - like blook vessels, etc. The DR said that would remain for quite awhile yet but was nothing to be concerned about. I still ice and elevate regularly. I also still have regular "discomfort" after being up and about but I definitely wouldn't call it pain. It's been a long 8 weeks, but I am pretty encouraged by right now.

Thanks again for the info and good luck to everyone.

Closed Thread

Tags
ankle injury, calcaneal osteotomy, peroneal tendon