It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2012, 07:55 AM   #91
(female)

prico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB User
Re: 17 days till surgery

Colleen you made me smile talking about your grandaughter because I have a
3year old grandaughter as well. She comes over every day and climbs under my comforter with me. She is the light of my life. I already have a knee walker all set to go waiting downstairs if I ever get there. I have a NookTablet that my hubby got me for Christmas and I use it all the time . In fact that is what I have been using to communicate online. My son has my laptop for college and I dont really need it although it is a lot easier typing than using the nook keyboard. I use it to keep up with my work emais and of course all my books. Prior to my surgery I downloaded a bunch of books . I havent been too motivated to read yet but I think maybe today I will try. See you know me well. I can also look out my balcony door and see the trees and get the fresh air right from my bed. Hubby bought me a beautiful new reclinelr andI have to try that out soon ad well. I am an amatuer crocheter and knitter and have a work friend who offerred to come over to help me on some projects . So there is a lot to do I just need to be patient and go slow. Cant wait till my appt thursday and get this bulky thing off. Thank you for sharing with me. I am waiting right now for my Lydia to come see grandma after church YAY

Old 09-02-2012, 09:07 AM   #92
(female)

greatoutlook HB Usergreatoutlook HB User

So happy to hear about your Lydia. Isn't it something that your pain does not seem so bad when they are around. I also have a grandson named Milo. He was only a year old when he first saw me on crutches and I must admit I have not been able to chase him around till recently. I would crawl on the floor with him to keep up with him. But since he can run I needed help with me to watch the grandkids. Gabby my granddaughter just loved to lay between me and the couch and read book after book.
I bet your Lydia is like that too. They seem to know you need some extra gentle care right now. Gabby still keeps me in her prayers at night. It is so comforting.
You enjoy your day today!

The following user gives a hug of support to greatoutlook:
prico54 (09-02-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to greatoutlook For This Useful Post:
prico54 (09-02-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-04-2012, 07:43 AM   #93
(female)

prico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB User
Smile Re: 17 days till surgery

Just checking in to say hi to everyone. Its gloomy outside I am watching the rain outside my windows. Heres an interesting dilema that has started happening. My little dog Max who I must say is quite neurotic and also my dearest companion has been laying next to me this whole time almost two weeks. Now he is licking the bed nonstop. It really is gross. When I got up to the bathroom with my walker earlrlier he followed me lay down outside the bathroom door and my hubby said he was licking the air. This probably should be addressed on a pet psychiatrist forum. Any pet owners or experts with any ideas why he is doing this? I did read once that its a symptom of insecurity and low self esteem lol. Well day after tomorrow I finally get this ten thousand pound splint removed. I do hope the next cast is lighter because this is awful. I fell on my bad foot again last night and it hurts alot. It was mostly my fault for trying to go fast. Stay in touch my nwb friends it makes my day to hear from you all. Paula

Old 09-04-2012, 10:09 AM   #94
(female)

Rbauer HB User

Hi Paula
I think your sweet dog, Max, is just trying to help you heal quicker even tho he can't actually 'lick your wound'...He's getting as close as he can..remember they have a keen sense of smell. One of my cats, Ringo, has slept up against my healing ankle pretty much EVERY nite since I've been home..he normally sleeps closer to my upper body...Our pets know there's something' up with us & that's their way of trying to help/comfort us..

Now, on to your landing on your bad foot...I thought you got a knee walker? Why are you using a walker instead? Or am I misunderstanding? Soooo much more stable on the knee walker! Today is 9 weeks post op for me & NWB...altho, I admit I have been testing the waters a bit, with crutches. 3 more weeks til I see the Doc & hopefully get the ok to start walking...
It's a beautiful, sunny day here in Chi-town, altho a little hot n humid... Im going to hop outside to my front yard & enjoy the heat!! Have you been getting outside much..I know the first few weeks for me it was hard & I stayed put, with my foot elevated & iced!
I hope you get a 'lighter' cast put on or perhaps even a boot on Wednesday!
Enjoy the day..
Robyn

Old 09-04-2012, 11:34 AM   #95
(female)

Robyn I do have the knee walker but it is for when I get downstairs. I am only around the cotner from the bathroom and basically the best device to go down and back up is the walker at least thats what I thought. I hoe by thursday after I see the dr I can be downstairs and a bit more mobile with the new cadt. I wish I would be getting a boot but that isnt for a few weeks according to my dr. He said I would be in another cadt and then the boot then pt and then all better well maybe not so easy as that but he did say he would let me know more after this post op appt. Thanks for your reply You dont know how jealous I am but I will be outside in my chair soon. Right now I am laying on my bed looking out the door to the balcony adniring the beautiful rain moistoned trees. Now I am becoming a poet not so much!

Old 09-04-2012, 11:54 AM   #96
(female)

Rbauer HB User

Paula, am I understanding you're using the walker for up & down the stairs or just to get to bathroom? I use(d) the knee walker for all my 'travels' & crutches when I get to stairs.. So much less tiring than the walker/ crutches for me. Ya really have to be careful on that walker...so easy to accidentally step down on your owie! I did use the walker to assist in getting on & off shower seat..OYYYY, talk about a carnival side show! Now I have mastered that task! Hang in there & enjoy the lushness of the rain..

Old 09-04-2012, 12:13 PM   #97
(female)

No I dont use the walker going up and dow n stairs I just need something in front of me to sit down and to pull myself up. I havent been downstairs yet. I am planning to try thr stairs either tonight or tomorrow with help. For now I will just enjoy the rain and now my sweet dog is barking his bloody brains out and no one is home to shut him up. He is waiting for the mailman.

Old 09-04-2012, 05:02 PM   #98
(female)

Ditsy1 HB UserDitsy1 HB UserDitsy1 HB UserDitsy1 HB UserDitsy1 HB User

Hi Paula,

I had my surgery on 8/20, so just a few days prior to yours. I think we had pretty much the same procedures. I got the hard cast one week ago. It is fiberglass and it made me feel much more confident in my movements because it seems much more protective. At the same time, it seems much lighter than the splint and ice boot contraption I had for eight days after the surgery. I go back in two weeks, on 9/18, to get it changed. I felt much more confident going up and downstairs with the hard cast. I go up and down the stairs on my butt and I keep the knee walker downstairs to get around. I keep an extra pair of crutches downstairs also because the bathroom is too narrow for the knee walker. I seem to be recovering but I am noticing that the top of my foot is extremely itchy. I hope it is just from healing but it is driving me crazy! This surgery is not for the faint hearted, that is for sure! It sounds like you are doing well, so hang in there and we will get through this.

Ditsy

Old 09-04-2012, 07:56 PM   #99
(female)

greatoutlook HB Usergreatoutlook HB User

Paula,
You will get a lighter more compact cast. You should feel more secure with the new one.
Soon after that you will venture down stairs and appreciate the knee walker.

Be careful on the kneewalker, they can move pretty fast.
Sometimes if I did not turn quick enough I would catch on the side of a dresser or table. I really had to slow down. The freedom is great but I had to realize to take it easy.

It won't be long for the new cast!

Colleen

The Following User Says Thank You to greatoutlook For This Useful Post:
prico54 (09-04-2012)
Old 09-04-2012, 11:40 PM   #100
(female)

Thanks Colleen I am laying here at 2:30 in the morning counting down the hours. The idea of going up and down stairs is very exciting. It is true how you learn to appreciate things you took for granted. I always complain about my job but I miss it like crazy. Thanks for the positive post it really helps. Paula

The following user gives a hug of support to prico54:
greatoutlook (09-05-2012)
Old 09-05-2012, 10:12 AM   #101
(female)

Talking Re: 17 days till surgery

Guess what?I am downstairs! I made it down on my butt. It wasnt sa hard as I thought. Hubby lowered me to the floor and down I came. I finally got to use my knee walker and rolled into the kitchen and got myself a popsicle. Thank God for my daughters and oldest son. The house was actually not a pigsty and that says alot. I live with hubby and two grown sons and when I am not here they use their home like a frat house. They dont care unless I am here to nag about it. Last night my daughter brought me dinner and when I mentioned that I might come downstairs today she hustled down and cleaned the living room and kitchen. God bless her! All my kids and hubby have been terrific! How does someone do this alone? I cant imagine. I have absolutely no reason to complain thats for sure! Well now I will lay on my couch and enjoy my limited freedom while looking forward to drs appt at 1PM tomorrow. Paula

The following user gives a hug of support to prico54:
Iloverockmusic (09-05-2012)
Old 09-05-2012, 10:28 AM   #102
Senior Veteran
(female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User

Yes that's the way to do it! Glad u r don there
Safely. Don't know when u plan on going back up but that
Can b a little harder or was for me I had a
Lot to pull up lol! My arms would get tired.
Just take breaks on the steps. Enjoy ur time
Downstairs, sorry about the typing I'm
On my phone, Cathy

The Following User Says Thank You to noevr For This Useful Post:
prico54 (09-05-2012)
Old 09-05-2012, 10:33 AM   #103
(female)

Iloverockmusic HB UserIloverockmusic HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by prico54 View Post
Hi folks, won't be long now . I am starting to really freak out about my surgery. It is fri the 24th and I am trying to get my stuff in order. I wanted to know if anyone out there after having ankle surgery was able to get medical equipment from their ins, such as a knee walker , shower chair , commode etc. I wanted to order this stuff and don't know if I get the coverage. I need to check with my ins person at work but just wondered if anyone here did get assist. The knee walker is around $200.00 but it cost almost 40 a week to rent. not sure I like the idea of renting used equip anyway.
Don't know too much about rental medical equipment. I didn't really need too much with regard to medical equipment...a pair of crutches, a boot, and a toilet seat. My mother had broken her hip the year before...so I used hers.
How did your surgery go? Hope it went well!!!! Was it the "doozy" that your surgeon said it would be? Good luck and best wishes!!!!!

Old 09-05-2012, 10:48 AM   #104
(female)

Iloverockmusic HB UserIloverockmusic HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by prico54 View Post
Guess what?I am downstairs! I made it down on my butt. It wasnt sa hard as I thought. Hubby lowered me to the floor and down I came. I finally got to use my knee walker and rolled into the kitchen and got myself a popsicle. Thank God for my daughters and oldest son. The house was actually not a pigsty and that says alot. I live with hubby and two grown sons and when I am not here they use their home like a frat house. They dont care unless I am here to nag about it. Last night my daughter brought me dinner and when I mentioned that I might come downstairs today she hustled down and cleaned the living room and kitchen. God bless her! All my kids and hubby have been terrific! How does someone do this alone? I cant imagine. I have absolutely no reason to complain thats for sure! Well now I will lay on my couch and enjoy my limited freedom while looking forward to drs appt at 1PM tomorrow. Paula
Sounds like you are doing great!!!! You obviously have a very supportive family...great husband, sons, and daughter. That is something you reallly need in times like these...the support of your family!!!! Good luck going back up those stairs. Can you "butt" your way up the stairs? I always thought that living in a two-story home would be so great...until we lived in a home with two floors...not so great when you are on crutches.
When I broke my talus, I had a six-month old baby and my husband was not at home at night. So, I was essentially alone!!!! It was VERY difficult. I had great neighbors who would have helped in emergency situations...but I didn't want to impose on them.
I remember at night, butting to the foot of the bed, picking him up out of his crib, and butting our way back to the head of the bead. I had bottles of formula prepared ahead of time and placed in a mini-fridge. There was a small bottle warmer that I placed near the fridge so I could warm it up if need be. Then, as he finished his bottle, and was nearing asleep, I would clumsily butt back to the foot of the bed to put him in his crib. Which would startle him and wake him back up again. From August to January this was our routine. It was perhaps one of the most challenging and difficult time of my life!!!

The Following User Says Thank You to Iloverockmusic For This Useful Post:
prico54 (09-05-2012)
Old 09-05-2012, 11:34 AM   #105
(female)

Ditsy1 HB UserDitsy1 HB UserDitsy1 HB UserDitsy1 HB UserDitsy1 HB User

Yay Paula!! Woo hoo -- downstairs! I can so relate. These milestones may seem small to others but they are so important for us! Happy for you!

Dits

The Following User Says Thank You to Ditsy1 For This Useful Post:
prico54 (09-05-2012)
Closed Thread