It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2012, 11:42 PM   #1
(female)

prico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB User
17 days till surgery

Hi folks, won't be long now . I am starting to really freak out about my surgery. It is fri the 24th and I am trying to get my stuff in order. I wanted to know if anyone out there after having ankle surgery was able to get medical equipment from their ins, such as a knee walker , shower chair , commode etc. I wanted to order this stuff and don't know if I get the coverage. I need to check with my ins person at work but just wondered if anyone here did get assist. The knee walker is around $200.00 but it cost almost 40 a week to rent. not sure I like the idea of renting used equip anyway.

Old 08-07-2012, 03:11 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Missyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB User
Re: 17 days till surgery

What are you having done? I am having surgery on the 21st (Microfracture for OCD). Most insurance companies do not cover knee walker, etc. But you may be one of the lucky ones. You should call them and ask if they will cover any of the items.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-07-2012, 11:50 AM   #3
(female)

LisaLouLou HB UserLisaLouLou HB UserLisaLouLou HB UserLisaLouLou HB UserLisaLouLou HB User

My insurance company wasn't much help -- they told me that a medical equipment supplier needed to submit the claim, then they would process it and tell them if it was approved.

When I called the medical equipment companies in my area (including some recommended by my OS), they told me that they carry the equipment I wanted, but did not deal with the insurance companies.

I had not had time to plan in advance, and ended up purchasing what I wanted online, with the plan to sell it later on Craigslist. Hope you have better luck with insurance.

Old 08-07-2012, 12:26 PM   #4
(female)

wants to walk HB Userwants to walk HB Userwants to walk HB Userwants to walk HB Userwants to walk HB Userwants to walk HB Userwants to walk HB Userwants to walk HB User

I dont know where you live but here (Ontario) my surgeon wrote a form and I rented a wheelchair from the Red Cross Medical Help program. It's meant for people that need items short term-like after surgery. It think it cost me about 30/week and I had it for about 8 weeks. My work insurance plan covered it all because it was a request from my surgeon. It was a life saver and I had no problem renting used equipment. It still meets regulations and is clean. If that is your concern, you can always sanitize if yourself with some alcohol wipes or something.

Old 08-07-2012, 12:34 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User

I just needed a script from my dr. but I did have a deductible to meet on my ins. for medical equipment. have you called your insurance co? cj

Old 08-07-2012, 02:55 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Missyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB User

I know my insurance will not pay anything towards equipment. Fortunately, my neighbor has a wheelchair I can borrow and I already have crutches and other things from my prior surgeries.

Old 08-07-2012, 03:36 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User

I"m on the clutzy side but I wanted to warn you anyways be careful not to lean too forward in wheelchair I slid out on my bottom a few times (nope, didn't learn the first time!). Maybe advertise in the local paper what you are looking for and that other site someone mentioned earlier, check that. Now I used a walker w/ a seat on it and put my knee on the seat w/ a small pillow duct taped to it (wasn't pretty) and scooted around on that before too. Sometimes the Goodwill's will have stuff too.

I used a cheap (5-10 $) solid plastic chair in my shower, worked fine. If it will fit for yours. Also in the kitchen I used my computer chair raised up as high as it would go and worked from it later on. Scooted all around.

If I think of anything else I'll log back in. good luck and don't freak, you'll work it out. I lived on the first floor of my house and stayed on the sofa for 4 weeks (I have a full bath on first floor thank goodness). When I decided to move upstairs I just sat down and scooted up on my butt. You find ways to do stuff. CJ

Old 08-07-2012, 07:41 PM   #8
(female)

prico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missyluke View Post
What are you having done? I am having surgery on the 21st (Microfracture for OCD). Most insurance companies do not cover knee walker, etc. But you may be one of the lucky ones. You should call them and ask if they will cover any of the items.
I am also having the OCD removed plus the posterial tibial tendon transfer and an calcaneal osteotomy. I will be off my feet 6-8wks non weight bearing and then physical therapy , out of work probably 3-4 months . I am 59 and have never even used crutches before. My daughter had a spare pair and I just started practicing with them. My dog is terrified of them and I think I am too. I am they type of person that freaks out to the extreme and then wonders why I made such a big deal. I usually overdramatize everything in this kind of situation. But my surgeon , who is a orthopedic surgeon that only operates on feet and ankles called my surgery a "doozy" this got me a little freaked to start out with. oh well keep up the support replies and I will stay in touch just so I don't totally crack up....... only 16 days to go.....oh God!!!!

Old 08-07-2012, 07:49 PM   #9
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wants to walk View Post
I dont know where you live but here (Ontario) my surgeon wrote a form and I rented a wheelchair from the Red Cross Medical Help program. It's meant for people that need items short term-like after surgery. It think it cost me about 30/week and I had it for about 8 weeks. My work insurance plan covered it all because it was a request from my surgeon. It was a life saver and I had no problem renting used equipment. It still meets regulations and is clean. If that is your concern, you can always sanitize if yourself with some alcohol wipes or something.
I have ins but I work in the medical field and I hate dealing with them. If stuff isn't too expensive then I will buy it myself and resell it. 30 a wk works out to 240 and I can buy one for less than that . I will probably do that.

Old 08-07-2012, 08:14 PM   #10
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by no34evr View Post
I"m on the clutzy side but I wanted to warn you anyways be careful not to lean too forward in wheelchair I slid out on my bottom a few times (nope, didn't learn the first time!). Maybe advertise in the local paper what you are looking for and that other site someone mentioned earlier, check that. Now I used a walker w/ a seat on it and put my knee on the seat w/ a small pillow duct taped to it (wasn't pretty) and scooted around on that before too. Sometimes the Goodwill's will have stuff too.

I used a cheap (5-10 $) solid plastic chair in my shower, worked fine. If it will fit for yours. Also in the kitchen I used my computer chair raised up as high as it would go and worked from it later on. Scooted all around.

If I think of anything else I'll log back in. good luck and don't freak, you'll work it out. I lived on the first floor of my house and stayed on the sofa for 4 weeks (I have a full bath on first floor thank goodness). When I decided to move upstairs I just sat down and scooted up on my butt. You find ways to do stuff. CJ
thanks so much for all the advice. I know it will all work out but since I have had so much time to prepare and I haven't done much , now I am freaking out. I did get a cheap shower chair and some gel stuff to put on the top of my crutches and I also bought something to cover my cast so I can get in the water to shower etc. I am just not sure about buying the knee walker. I am thinking about getting a cheap one. around 150-200 on amazon.

The following user gives a hug of support to prico54:
Amethy5t (09-03-2012)
Old 08-07-2012, 08:24 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

hi I think you just about have everything and once you get the knee walker you'll feel better about having everything together. I had my achilles tendon reconstruction surgery at around 53 yo and was NWB for 6-8 weeks too. Towards the last couple of weeks I started getting mean lol! I was tired of that daggone scooter/walker thingy! You totally get used to it the first week is rough but then you get your routine going on and you work it out. cj

Old 08-08-2012, 02:14 AM   #12
(female)

Talking Re: 17 days till surgery

Quote:
hi I think you just about have everything and once you get the knee walker you'll feel better about having everything together. I had my achilles tendon reconstruction surgery at around 53 yo and was NWB for 6-8 weeks too. Towards the last couple of weeks I started getting mean lol! I was tired of that daggone scooter/walker thingy! You totally get used to it the first week is rough but then you get your routine going on and you work it out. cj
I know it will all work out but I am a wacko. I work night shift at our local hospital and thats why I am up at this bizarre hour. it will be strange sleeping at night and being out for soooo long. I actually did go ahead and purchase a knee walker on amazon. so now I have that too. I have been reading all the other suggestions and I read about the cooling machine so I went on ebay and bid on a used one. By the time I have my surgery I will have assembled a small hospital in my living room!!! I still think I will get a cheap or used commode so that I will have something in the downstairs for emergencies. At least for the first weeks I may not want to crawl up the stairs. I have a nook tablet and a laptop and I have been downloading books onto the nook so I have some good reading material. I have been stripping the wallpaper from my bedroom and am going to paint it before my surgery so I can look at nice clean new walls. I also got a brand new mattress about 2 wks ago and I love it so it won't be so bad being in bed either.
wow this surgery is an expensive one eh?

Old 08-08-2012, 06:16 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

I think I'm a bit wacko too because I am a planner, I have to have things planned out in front of me I almost get OCD about it. Its crazy. Even coming down to the surgery I want to make sure I talk to the charge nurse in the OR so he/she knows they need to be careful w/ me overall and not toss me around because I have fibro. I am a control freak to say the least!!! So see, you're not so wacko!!

hey, did anyone tell you on the ice machine it runs out of ice every 6 hours or so. Hubby had to keep running out to get ice thank goodness we have an extra fridge/freezer in the garage. Our ice maker inside couldn't keep up w/ it. Now that's running the machine 24/7 there at first which I did.

GLad you ordered your scooter already too. let me know if you have any questions, k? you will be fine. cj

Old 08-08-2012, 07:56 PM   #14
(female)

Quote:
I think I'm a bit wacko too because I am a planner, I have to have things planned out in front of me I almost get OCD about it. Its crazy. Even coming down to the surgery I want to make sure I talk to the charge nurse in the OR so he/she knows they need to be careful w/ me overall and not toss me around because I have fibro. I am a control freak to say the least!!! So see, you're not so wacko!!

hey, did anyone tell you on the ice machine it runs out of ice every 6 hours or so. Hubby had to keep running out to get ice thank goodness we have an extra fridge/freezer in the garage. Our ice maker inside couldn't keep up w/ it. Now that's running the machine 24/7 there at first which I did.

GLad you ordered your scooter already too. let me know if you have any questions, k? you will be fine. cj
I am lucky, I have a very caring hubby. We dont have an extra large freezer but I can send him out and he will be happy to do it. He gets all helpless and if he has errands to do he feels better. good guy!

Old 08-08-2012, 08:09 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

that's great!

Closed Thread