It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2012, 01:38 AM   #1
(female)

prico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB User
more questions

Hello, just me again. I got my paperwork with all my appointments for my surgery and I have 3 post operative appts, the first one is 2wks after surgery and then I have 2 more two weeks apart. Just wondering what happens at those appts. I read somewhere someone spoke of having a soft cast and then getting the hard one later, do they usually use a soft cast first? Then at the other appts they dont take off the cast do they? My doctor said I would be in the cast 6-8wks. I have my pre op appt a week from today. I will ask all these questions then but my friends here have so much good info I bet someone can help answer them now. thanks, paula

Old 08-10-2012, 04:57 AM   #2
(female)

wants to walk HB Userwants to walk HB Userwants to walk HB Userwants to walk HB Userwants to walk HB Userwants to walk HB Userwants to walk HB Userwants to walk HB User
Re: more questions

It's hard to tell as each surgeon has their own procedure but I would assume at week 2 you might have your stitches taken out.

I woke up in recovery in a plaster cast, returned one week later, they took it off checked my foot visually (checked my screws as they were left sticking out), bandaged and put me into a fiberglass cast.
Week 3-cast removed, stitches removed, bandaged, cast #3
Week 5-cast removed, x-rayed, bandaged, cast #4
Week 8-cast removed, x-rayed,bandaged, cast #5
Week 11-cast removed, x-rayed, screws removed, bandaged and into an aircast.

Swelling decreases over time so cast changes are needed so the original cast doesnt become too loose. They also want to be able to see the incisions and re-do bandages. Also my surgeon would re-position my foot before putting on each cast. He told me in the beginning not to be surprised if it looked like my toes were turned inward a bit. That was intentional.
Cast changes were the best. I loved going for these as they cut mine off and it would be almost an hour by the time I was checked, x-rayed, returned and re-casted. My leg could breathe!! I also would bring a razor, shave cream and a good lotion and they would let me shave my leg and lotion to help with the itch!

Last edited by wants to walk; 08-10-2012 at 05:00 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-13-2012, 09:17 PM   #3
(female)

prico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB User
Re: more questions

[QUOTE=wants to walk;5037221]It's hard to tell as each surgeon has their own procedure but I would assume at week 2 you might have your stitches taken out.

I woke up in recovery in a plaster cast, returned one week later, they took it off checked my foot visually (checked my screws as they were left sticking out), bandaged and put me into a fiberglass cast.
Week 3-cast removed, stitches removed, bandaged, cast #3
Week 5-cast removed, x-rayed, bandaged, cast #4
Week 8-cast removed, x-rayed,bandaged, cast #5
Week 11-cast removed, x-rayed, screws removed, bandaged and into an aircast.

Swelling decreases over time so cast changes are needed so the original cast doesnt become too loose. They also want to be able to see the incisions and re-do bandages. Also my surgeon would re-position my foot before putting on each cast. He told me in the beginning not to be surprised if it looked like my toes were turned inward a bit. That was intentional.
Cast changes were the best. I loved going for these as they cut mine off and it would be almost an hour by the time I was checked, x-rayed, returned and re-casted. My leg could breathe!! I also would bring a razor, shave cream and a good lotion and they would let me shave my leg and lotion to help with the itch![/QUOTE]

Thank you so much for your helpful reply. It makes sense now that if they need to xray and change the cast I would have frequent appts. It is a good distance to the hosptial (in my small town opionion) so I hate to go back and forth so much but if it needs to get done and it sounds like I will appreciate the relief like you did. I will ask about the lotion and shaving as well , that sounds nice. thank you again. I will be in touch.

Closed Thread