HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Foot & Ankle Problems (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/foot-ankle-problems/)
-   -   Help!!!! Reaction to bandages? (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/foot-ankle-problems/913579-help-reaction-bandages.html)

Ryanhope09 08-10-2012 06:19 AM

Help!!!! Reaction to bandages?

I had bunion surgery about four weeks ago. I now have blister type rash across my toes. The funny thing is it mainly where the wrap / ace bandage doesn't touch. I'm supposed to be starting to walk (with it still wrapped), but I'm wondering if it would be better to keep it unwrapped today and stay off it. I tried putting aquaphor ointment, but it seemed to make it worse. Any advice?

Janesfoot 08-10-2012 07:25 AM

Re: Help!!!! Reaction to bandages?

Sorry for your rash! I had bunion and bunionette surgery four weeks ago today. I'm out of the ace and just have a sock, yeah! That made things more comfortable for me. Regarding the rash, do you by any chance have a history of eczema? It is often on the hands, elbows and sometimes toes. I have it on my hand, but I developed a spot on my elbow one week into recovery, and decided it was due to stress on my body's system. It has resolved itself.
If it is eczema, avoid the aquaphor as it contains lanolin which is an irritant to eczema and will make the rash worse. That's my two bits of layman's guess. I hope the rash resolves itself soon. Happy recovering.

Amethy5t 08-10-2012 08:14 AM

I guess it could be heat rash from being in a cast... were you in a cast? Did you have sticking plaster type dressings there? Lots of people are allergic to those! You could try some hydrocortisone cream if you have it. Hope it goes away soon. Recovering from surgery is quite enough without other problems! Good luck to both of you, I wish you a speedy recovery.

twohands 08-10-2012 09:54 AM

Sorry to hear about your rash. I have similar problems with all sorts of adhesives and I can develop some mean looking rashes!

I've found that I'm fine with Tegaderm - very expensive, but I'm not allergic to it like I am paper tapes and other bandage tapes. I now request that any dressings I have be secured with Tegaderm and that has saved me a lot of problems.

As far as getting your current rash to heal, it would be best to wash it as best you can to remove residual adhesive that may still be in the wound. A warm washcloth held on it for several minutes would help with this, but be careful not to get close to your incisions. After that, 1% hydrocortizone cream would help reduce swelling - perhaps use for a couple days. Then a light coating of triple antibiotic ointment, A&D ointment, or even petroleum jelly would help the irritated area heal over well with minimal scarring.

Best wishes!

pclare 08-10-2012 11:57 AM

Call your doctor and ask him/her. The last thing you need is an infection, and if you have blisters, it is easy for those to become infected.

I had a horrible rash when I got out of the hospital, but I was able to determine that it was simply a reaction to one of the elastic bandage wraps. Whether I was allergic to it or it was just prickly heat, I don't know, but I itched like crazy from the bandage (which smelled like rubber) wrapped around my calf, whereas the one on my ankle (which was more of a cotton and a lighter beige color) was fine.

The rash was nowhere near my surgery site, so I wasn't worried, but yours sounds too close to take a chance. I'd call right away, especially since today is a Friday and you never know if it might get worse over the weekend. If it does, and you haven't heard back from your doctor, go to an UrgentCare or even an ER if necessary.

Ryanhope09 08-10-2012 06:24 PM

Thank you everyone for the advice. I did see the doctor and he provided a prescription cream. He said he sees this a lot with people who are very sensitive. He said after awhile the skin gets irritated from being wrapped. So the good thing is that I can walk in the boot with just a sock, the bad news I can't practice walking in a shoe yet because for that he says my foot needs to be wrapped (which he doesn't want it wrapped bc of the dermatitis. So....I guess one step forward two steps back!!!