It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2012, 02:36 AM   #61
Senior Veteran
(female)

ginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB User
re: My PTTD Surgery is Scheduled

Cinder, don't start psyching yourself out now. Erin probably has to have a preop physical. That's why they say 2 hrs. This surgery isn't any fun, I'm not gonna lie to you. And it is painful for a couple of days, but after that it's mainly inconvenient and uncomfortable. I promise. You will do fine and you really need to get this done. I will bet you $1 that a year from now you'll agree with me.
Be strong!
Ginger

Old 10-11-2012, 03:26 AM   #62
(female)

cinder HB Usercinder HB Usercinder HB Usercinder HB User

Hi Ginger, thank you. You know me too well already. I do get so nervous. It is so nice to have found this site to share with others and support. It is a huge blessing. Take care of yourself and continue to heal.

The following user gives a hug of support to cinder:
ginger62 (10-11-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-11-2012, 06:26 AM   #63
(female)

erin4 HB Usererin4 HB Usererin4 HB Usererin4 HB User

Cinder-Yeah they said 2 hrs.It might be pre-op physical things done, but who knows what they are going to be doing. I'm not looking forward to that at all. I am not staying the night its out patient. He said the surgery will take around 1hr1/2 and then i'll be in recovery for 1 or 2 hrs and then I get to go home woohoo.. I hope i'll be saying that when I get out lol. I haven't even started with my house cleaning yet like I wanted to. We have other things to attend to before this house gets done. I told my bf that I will go NUTS if this isn't done before my surgery he looked at me and just smiled, so I know it probably won't. He thinks i'll be able to do things for myself in 2 weeks which I just laugh and say wait and see. Ok enough rambling.
Ginger- I been reading its a long process and not very comfortable neither. Glad i'm getting the block. Did you get the block and if you did was your still out or was awake? The doctor said i'll be out for the block woohoo...

The Following User Says Thank You to erin4 For This Useful Post:
ginger62 (10-11-2012)
Old 10-11-2012, 06:27 AM   #64
(female)

erin4 HB Usererin4 HB Usererin4 HB Usererin4 HB User

Cinder-Yeah they said 2 hrs.It might be pre-op physical things done, but who knows what they are going to be doing. I'm not looking forward to that at all. I am not staying the night its out patient. He said the surgery will take around 1hr1/2 and then i'll be in recovery for 1 or 2 hrs and then I get to go home woohoo.. I hope i'll be saying that when I get out lol. I haven't even started with my house cleaning yet like I wanted to. We have other things to attend to before this house gets done. I told my bf that I will go NUTS if this isn't done before my surgery he looked at me and just smiled, so I know it probably won't. He thinks i'll be able to do things for myself in 2 weeks which I just laugh and say wait and see. Ok enough rambling.
Ginger- I been reading its a long process and not very comfortable neither. Glad i'm getting the block. Did you get the block and if you did was your still out or was awake? The doctor said i'll be out for the block woohoo...

Old 10-11-2012, 08:39 AM   #65
Senior Veteran
(female)

ginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB User

Erin, I did have the block. It lasted for about 12 hours. You will probably be knocked already when they administer it. Once it wears off it's a whole new ball game so make sure you've started your pain meds before then.
When you get home your main concern is not going to be how clean your house is so don't worry too much about that stuff. You've got a ways to go so just try to get a little bit done every day. It will all get done one way or another.
Ginger

Old 10-11-2012, 11:07 AM   #66
(female)

prico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB User

I was not "out" for the block. They gave me some very nice medicine iv and it was not painful at all. I was in lala land but I was concious the whole time. They did the block in pre op about an hour before they took me to the or. My block seemed to last forever about 24 plus hrs. The reason they said I had to be awake was you have to follow commands for instance they startedwith me on my back injected my groin and then asked me to roll over for the back of the knee. They said it was also for my own safety that I couldnt be knocked out but honestly I didnt know what was flying and I felt no pain the drug they gave me was awesome! Paula

Last edited by prico54; 10-11-2012 at 11:15 AM.

Old 10-11-2012, 02:21 PM   #67
(female)

I have to spend the night in the hospital. Not sure what kind of anesthesia I am having yet. I'm sure the hospital will want to go over things with me too. We will keep each other company. Yes, my husband will not be so good taking care of things. He already said don't expect things to be up to my standards they have to be his standards. Oh my I am not sure what this place will look like. Luckily I have an adult daughter who is helpful and twin sons who are not helpful. At least the boys don't live at home anymore so the place will stay cleaner.

Old 10-11-2012, 02:24 PM   #68
(female)

Let's hope for something very similar. Prico when was your surgery? Hope you are doing well.

Old 10-11-2012, 03:39 PM   #69
(female)

prico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB User

My surgery was aug 24th 7 wks ago today. Thibgs are going pretty well. Just started weight bearing but still in the boot and with crutches sometimes. Graduated from my scooter!

The following user gives a hug of support to prico54:
hiyachuck (10-30-2012)
Old 10-11-2012, 09:45 PM   #70
Senior Veteran
(female)

LadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB User
Thumbs up re: My PTTD Surgery is Scheduled

I had a block on an elbow surgery but not for my ankle. From the sounds of it I really wish I had one. haha That was not even brought up as an option. Even without the block it was managed with pain medication. The first three days were the toughest for me then it got better from there.

Good luck everyone on their surgeries! Don't let the nerves get the best of you. I was so nervous the night before I barely slept. I was the first surgery having to be at the hospital by 5am. I was so tired I couldn't wait for them to knock me out. Just relax. I'm sure you're in good hands!

~Kimberly
January 2013
Subtalar Arthrodesis Revision
Talonavicular Fusion Hardware Removal

December 2013
Screw Removal

The Following User Says Thank You to LadyKanner For This Useful Post:
cinder (10-14-2012)
Old 10-14-2012, 09:08 AM   #71
(female)

Thanks for the support. It is great that we are here from each other. 3 more weeks. I can't believe it. It did go fast. I last saw the doctor in early August.

Old 10-15-2012, 01:57 AM   #72
(female)

Mimi4015 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimi4015 View Post
Thanks Cinder, I am hopeful, frustrated, scared but knowing I am out of options, I will proceed.
Surgery was Wed.. I have cast so I can't see the site but my pt scared me to death. My doctor released me at 6:30 am but told me I would see pt before going home. She told me a condition of ny release was to be able to hop to the bathroom and back. She provided the walker and told me to hop on the right foot. Halfway to the bathroom, I was drenched in sweat, had just injected morphine and taken 100 mg of oxycodone. I started to fall, caught myself against the wall. I am 64 and my good foot was staged at 4...I can't hop!
I pray I did not damage my surgeons work. Also, I am having swelling in my good foot...sausage toes.
When I schedule the right foot, I will not stay over night!
My knee walker is great ...must have
...to be continued

Old 10-15-2012, 02:00 AM   #73
(female)

Mimi4015 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimi4015 View Post
Thanks Cinder, I am hopeful, frustrated, scared but knowing I am out of options, I will proceed.
Surgery was Wed.. I have cast so I can't see the site but my pt scared me to death. My doctor released me at 6:30 am but told me I would see pt before going home. She told me a condition of ny release was to be able to hop to the bathroom and back. She provided the walker and told me to hop on the right foot. Halfway to the bathroom, I was drenched in sweat, had just injected morphine and taken 100 mg of oxycodone. I started to fall, caught myself against the wall. I am 64 and my good foot was staged at 4...I can't hop!
I pray I did not damage my surgeons work. Also, I am having swelling in my good foot...sausage toes.
When I schedule the right foot, I will not stay over night!
My knee walker is great ...must have
...to be continued

The following user gives a hug of support to Mimi4015:
ginger62 (10-15-2012)
Old 10-15-2012, 04:01 AM   #74
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oh Mimi, I don't know about all that hopping to the bathroom business. That's what they make bedpans for. Hopefully you are home. Post when you can. Lots of good thoughts your way.
Ginger

Old 10-15-2012, 12:42 PM   #75
(female)

When I was in the hospital I tried to hop with thw walker to the bathroom I almost fell. They put the commode at my bedside so I would not get hurt. Just getting from the bed to the commode was enough trouble! Hang in there. Take it slow . It will get better! Paula

Closed Thread