After about 5 years of suffering with PTTD I finally got enough courage to make my date. I have been going back and forth and the doctor walked in Wednesday and said, "Are you ready to pull the trigger?" I told him I could not decide, but that the pain is becoming unbearable and I can't do much anymore. So, unless I "chicken" out, my surgery is scheduled for November 2 I hope I can make it 2 1/2 months. Returning to school and walking on those floors, recess, and bus duty will be difficult. I look forward to the support and sharing the next couple of months and building up my courage and recovery with this message board. Thank you.
The following user gives a hug of support to cinder: LoriLynnB (08-11-2012)
Hey Cinder, I'm hoping to schedule my surgery for October so hopefully we can do this together. I'm stage 2 or 3 (they won't be able to tell til they open me up) and fusion is on the table too (crossing my fingers against that!). Good luck and hang in there!
The Following User Says Thank You to ginger62 For This Useful Post: cinder (08-11-2012)
Hi Ginger, that would be great if we can keep each other company and lift each other's spirits. My husband wants me to schedule it earlier, they did have some earlier dates in October. I think I am too afraid of leaving work. We will keep in touch. Thanks. I am in Stage 3/4 myself and not sure of a fusion either. I know he is using a cadaver bone and another doctor said he would use a bone from hip, but I am going with the doctor with the cadaver bone (hopefully ok to use) because he is the best in our area.
I had the surgery on 27th of June. I have a walking cast since monday. Time flies. My school starts in 2 weeks, but I can't walk yet. You can ask me anything you want. I don't know how old you are, but I have a great amount of respect for those who had this surgery. Don't worry!
Thank you. I work at school and I am hoping I can do it for a couple of months. I am 54. I was also hoping I could return to work, but thinking I probably won't be able to until at least February or March. I am eligible to retire in June, but not sure yet if I want to but after this surgery, I may have to. I just can't take the pain anymore. Thank you so much for your support. I will be looking for your guidance. I hope you continue to get well and get stronger.
I already checked into renting the scooter. I have all the paperwork to bring to the local pharmacist. What is a wedge pillow? I guess that would be helpful. I am stressing and I have over two months to go, but school starts in 3 weeks. Let me know how your appointment goes. Good Luck!
I am hoping to schedule my surgery in October. My Arizona brace has helped but the pain/swelling is still present at the end of the day. I have stage 4 and since I am 64, I hope I haven't waited too long. (I'm not ready for a wheelchair!)
What procedures are you having done? Is it as outpatient or will you be staying overnight? I had flat foot reconstruction 2 years ago. It is worth it in the end to have the pain finally gone (after the recovery period).
I'm a little over one year post surgery and am doing great. I am a teacher, too. I was stage 2 and had fdl transfer, medial slide, and tmt fusion. I've pushed it the limit sometimes, too...walked several miles, trail walking, on sand, etc. The scooter was a godsend at school, especially. Once I was walking, I also stayed in boot beyond doctor's original recommendation and glad I did that, too. It took awhile for my brain to register the new foot position and I could feel a strain in the new tendon as my brain wanted to have the medial side of my foot to have more ground contact. Even now, still have some issues with that. Guess that's because I was always flatfooted even before I tore the tendon. After you're all healed from surgery consider Dansko shoes. I absolutelyGood luck. love them.
[QUOTE=RtLauraa;5038217]Why didn't you guys get the surgery earlier? I'm 16, and I'm glad I don't have to do this in the future..[/QUOTE]
In my case, I didn't have a problem with being flatfooted until I sprained the ankle and tore the tendon.
Hi, I know they said I will be staying overnight. He is going to use a cadavar bone and bring the foot over and put screws in and lift up the arch. When the paperwork comes next week for the surgery in the mail it will have the procedure and I will let you know the exact things. That is encouraging that you are doing well after the surgery two years ago. Keep up our spirits. Thanks.
The following user gives a hug of support to cinder: ginger62 (08-13-2012)