It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2012, 08:58 PM   #1
(female)

DJP81609 HB User
Having a Calcaneal Osteotomy on 8/24/12

Please help!! I .am a RN supervisor and a single mom to a wonderful 3 year old lil boy (actually he will be 3 on 8/16). I am having a calcaneal osteotomy, along with lengthening of my Achilles tendon a PTT, and a possible cotton osteotomy on 8/24/12. I have been doing a lot of research and am getting very nervous about recovering from this major foot surgery. I am wondering if this is going to be feasable for me and how long it will be before I can return to work. Also, for people that have had it done, are you able to do stairs? And if it was your right foot how long before you could drive?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-10-2012, 09:30 PM   #2
(female)

wants to walk HB Userwants to walk HB Userwants to walk HB Userwants to walk HB Userwants to walk HB Userwants to walk HB Userwants to walk HB Userwants to walk HB User
Re: Having a Calcaneal Osteotomy on 8/24/12

Mine was also my right ankle and i did not drive until about the 3 month point. Once I was in an aircast and FWB. I needed to comfortable enough to know i could slam on the brakes if needed. I would take my aircast off to drive and put it back on once I parked. I was off work for about 3 months.
As for stairs, I've pretty good on crutches, through lots of experience over the years so I managed just fine but try it out before your surgery to get used to it. Some find it easier to scoot up and down on their butt. Whatever works. Be careful however when loopy on pain killers if your balance or perception may be off.

The Following User Says Thank You to wants to walk For This Useful Post:
DJP81609 (08-20-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread