It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2012, 02:45 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

ginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB User
Weight gain during PTTD surgery recovery

Hi all. I quit smoking 2 weeks ago in anticipation of this surgery and I can already feel the pounds creeping on. I gained weight with my first injury 4 years ago and lost 40lbs when I had my knee replaced 18 mos ago. I had no appetite after that surgery and I'm kind of hoping for the same this time. I know that the not smoking benefits far outweigh a few extra pounds, but I've enjoyed being "back to normal" for the past year. Just wondering what y'all had experienced. Thanks so much!

Old 08-12-2012, 08:55 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Weight gain during PTTD surgery recovery

Most people lose weight in the first few weeks after surgery. Pain and pain meds both tend to kill the appetite, and getting up to get food is such a nuisance, you might not want to bother.

Later in the recovery, when you are feeling better but still not mobile, that's when folks may gain weight. Starting an adapted exercise program such as weight lifting or chair yoga might help to prevent it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-12-2012, 10:29 PM   #3
(female)

pclare HB Userpclare HB Userpclare HB Userpclare HB Userpclare HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by janewhite1 View Post
Starting an adapted exercise program such as weight lifting or chair yoga might help to prevent it.
That's exactly what I've been thinking about lately, because I feel like such a slug, I can't stand it! Even though every chore I do takes an incredible amount of strength, endurance, agility, and balance, it's all so awkward I'm amazed I haven't hurt my back yet.

I'm hoping at my next appt. my doctor gives me the go ahead to use my recumbent bike, but it will probably still be with no resistance. In the meantime, I was trying to remember if I still have any Therabands around for the exercises I know are coming, and I realized I could start some seated upper body workouts with light weights that I have.

I've also been researching low/non impact cardio workouts for later on. I have a strict NO JUMPING OF ANY SORT policy that I WILL NOT break.

Old 08-13-2012, 05:18 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB User

Thanks for the advice. I've got a couple of yoga dvds that I'll start now to see how I can adapt them for after surgery. Of course push ups and arm weights to build the upper body in anticipation of crutches

Last consult is less than a week away. Getting nervous/excited. Can't wait to get started!

Closed Thread