It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2012, 01:34 PM   #1
(female)

suebob30 HB Usersuebob30 HB User
Cool updates on oats surgery from 8-13

I had my sugery 8-13-12 and am almost at the 1right week mark.(tomorrow is 1 week ) overall I'm doing ok..keeping ankleit elevated,ice behind the knee and i have found even putting an ice pack on top of the ankle joint itself helps with the pain even though i can't have feel the coldness. Ibegan cutting back on pain meds on Thursday so i am only taking 1 percocet every 5 hours instead of 2..but i still take 2 right before bed so i sleep better. The only time i really feel the pain is when I get up or put the foot to floor level to adjust my sitting position..so when they say elevation is key..they're 100% right! The only thing bothering me is the staying down! Its nerve racking not to be able to do anything but read or watch tv.

Any other suggestions to keep busy while staying down would be appretiated. I am running out of ideas. Also, how soon has anyone else with the NWB issue got out of the house? I need to go to my college book store and pick up my books so i can start to attend classes on the 27th. I have a wheel chair so if i go this week to get them, i don't have to crutch in. Any thoughts or advice on that one? Thanks guys.

Old 08-20-2012, 01:07 PM   #2
(male)

LivesNearStore HB UserLivesNearStore HB UserLivesNearStore HB UserLivesNearStore HB UserLivesNearStore HB UserLivesNearStore HB UserLivesNearStore HB UserLivesNearStore HB User
Re: updates on oats surgeryfrom8-13

Do you have someone to drive you? In my first week I had my wife drive me while I folder the front seat over so I could elevate my foot on it. Because if I rode in the car with my foot down, it would start to swell up and throb pretty quickly.

Once I got somewhere I could crutch around for a few minutes before it would swell up (in the first week). Enough to grab a book and check out, but maybe not enough time to go look for a lot of books. For that best to have a friend or someone at the bookstore gather the books for you ahead of time. Or use the wheelchair with one leg up instead of crutches.

Last edited by LivesNearStore; 08-20-2012 at 01:09 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-20-2012, 08:48 PM   #3
(female)

Thanks LiveNearStore. I actually had my boyfriend go and get them. I really didn't feel like i could get around the bookstore to get everything i needed.(i had to get 5 books for all my classes.) And the college book store doesn't have enough room for a wheelchair. So now i can start with my course work to keep busy since classes started today!

I'm just getting stir crazy. I want to get out of the house! But i won't be doing that till this weekend maybe. My boyfriend is my driver and he sleeps all day due to working midnights. When did you start driving on your own? I've been very good about keeping my foot elevated at all times except a shower and to go to the bathroom. I even prop my foot up while I'm showering. Just going crazy and want out of the house! Lol any suggestions?

Old 08-20-2012, 09:45 PM   #4
(female)

pclare HB Userpclare HB Userpclare HB Userpclare HB Userpclare HB User

I went to the drive-in two days after this surgery. I saw the Avengers -- or rather, I saw Robert Downey Jr., although I suspect there were probably some other people in the movie, too.

It just felt great to sit outside in the beautiful summer breeze and relax (we brought chairs, and I brought an extra one for my ankle). I just made sure not to drink anything before or once I got there, so I wouldn't need to maneuver through a grassy lot in the dark to a portapotty!

Beyond that, I find that with my scooter, the most tiring or difficult thing is just getting from my front door to my car. Once it stopped hurting/swelling if my leg wasn't elevated, I went out on my own pretty regularly, to the library, supermarket, bank, church, pharmacy, family/friends' houses, wherever. I spent a few hours at my school last week, unpacking the new supplies and equipment that arrived over the summer.

Other than the initial movie run, my main rule has been to make sure I get home before dark (so I don't fall on my way in) and before I get too tired (so I don't fall on my way in)!

While sitting around icing and elevating, aside from the DVDs and computer, I surrounded myself with stuff to do, although I managed not to do most of it! I had a few containers of papers to file and sort, but so far I've still found excuses not to tackle those. I also brought school work to get started on, but I have a feeling I'll wait until next week to do that. LOL.

On the fun side, I have a ukulele within arm's reach, and I managed to pull out a bunch of my art supplies. I still plan on finally typing up an inventory of all my CDs and DVDs, because I have such a huge collection of each, sometimes I accidentally buy doubles of things because I forget that I already have them!

On the expensive side, I've done lots of researching and planning online for future home projects I want to do once I can walk and carry things again!

Old 08-21-2012, 05:12 AM   #5
(female)

Pclare..the only thing I've done to get out was 3the days after surgery i went to see my dr. Ihave done everything i had on my list while I'm down. But now that i got my books for my classes i can start on that. I was suppose to start classes on the 20th but pushed it back a week due to surgery. The biggest question i have is when do you stop the ice and elevation? Sometimes while I'm in the recliner i don't elevate my ankle but just having it rest on the foot rest. It doesn't swell but after a couple hours it gets achy. And all my paperwork from surgery says to ice and elevate for 2-3 days and i know my dr said first week.

Sorry for all the qustions. I know this is my second surgery but its like its my first since the first dr didn't do everything right. So its like I'm a newbie all over again.

Old 08-21-2012, 09:47 AM   #6
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by suebob30 View Post
The biggest question i have is when do you stop the ice and elevation?
Never, really, but you'll figure out for yourself when you actually need it. As far as post-OATS surgery: elevation is definitely good for the first two to three weeks, and ice is good in the beginning to ease swelling and pain -- for as long as you feel you need or want that.

I elevated constantly after this microfracture, but didn't need much ice until I took a fall and smacked it on the ground -- then I iced for about three or four days. Now I've just begun PWB, and I'll be icing like crazy. After my initial break and after my OATS, I iced constantly to reduce swelling and numb the pain (I rarely take painkillers).

You'll find that there may be times years from now that you'll do a little too much for a little too long, and up it goes with an ice pack on top while you're watching a movie. I keep three packs in my freezer at all times, and sometimes I even bring my own to school so I don't have to deplete the nurse's supply.

I'd say that out of habit or subconscious necessity, nearly every time I sit somewhere, I find a way to put my foot up (without being rude), even if it means resting my shin on my left knee, "man style" (as long as I'm not wearing a skirt). Most people who know me know why my leg is up (and often even ask if I want an extra chair), and I make sure never to put my shoe on the seat of a chair in case someone else comes in and needs the seat. Every bit helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suebob30 View Post
Sorry for all the qustions. I know this is my second surgery but its like its my first since the first dr didn't do everything right. So its like I'm a newbie all over again.
Nonsense! That's the whole point of this board, to help each other, right? Besides, I'm a teacher -- questions are like vitamins for me.

Old 08-21-2012, 11:33 AM   #7
(female)

Re: updates on oats surgery from 8-13

Oh i understand what your talking about!!! Since my microfracture may 2011be I would notice that sometimes after work (just in the last 3 months),i would be so swollen my ankle looked like i had 2 ankles! And your right people who know me always offer me chairs too. I know when i go back to classes next week and i'll be able to keep it up but no ice. I'm fortuate to only have 2 classes a day so i can ice it when i get home! Do you think I'm pushing it by going back to school next week? I've raised my kids and waited till the youngest was 9 before i went to college. I'm graduating in the spring so i didn't want this ankle issue to push back finishing by a whole year. I know i sound selfish to but i have worked hard for this.

Also i would like to stop taking the percocet cause my pain is minimal ...what kind of over the counter pain medicine should i take? Tylenol or ibeprofin?

Old 08-21-2012, 04:14 PM   #8
(female)

Only you will know if you're pushing it by how you feel after trying it. If it does become too much, is there anyone who could record the classes for you so you wouldn't have to attend for another week or so? You could contact the professors to arrange something like that, I'm sure. The toughest part will be getting to/from the classes, so make sure you have that part planned out.

I've always preferred Advil, but lots of people swear by Tylenol. Once you're off the prescription pain meds, I don't think it matters which one you try, but you might want to ask your doctor if either might be better for your specific needs.

There's nothing selfish about working hard to get a degree, and I think it's perfectly reasonable for you to not want to have to lose the semester.

The Following User Says Thank You to pclare For This Useful Post:
suebob30 (08-21-2012)
Old 08-22-2012, 09:16 PM   #9
(female)

Pclare..thank you for all the great advice! The only question i have is how long do you have to be off the pain meds before trying the advil. I've had always prefered advil to tylenol too. My ankle is not bothering me that bad that i need the percocet but I've still been taking it twice a day and at bedtime so as to not have any pain. Can i just go from the percocet to the advil without going a long period of time without any pain meds?

Again thanks for all the great advice..its been truly helpful!

Old 08-22-2012, 09:57 PM   #10
(female)

That I don't know, so I don't want to tell you the wrong thing, but a quick Googling told me that OB/GYN nurses regularly dispense Percocet and ibuprofen at the same time as standard protocol. I'm not a doctor, though, and neither is Google!

I was given a prescription for Vicodin and told that it was okay to take Advil at the same time, or alternating, if I wanted. I just skipped the Vicodin because this surgery was not at all painful. If I don't need the addictive stuff, I don't take it, but with some surgeries you just have to.

Old 08-23-2012, 07:14 AM   #11
(female)

I began taking just advil this morning. My pain ain't that bad anymore and i dont want to keep taking the percocet if i didn't have to.

Did my first Trip to the store today. Gosh it felt good to get out of the house. I didn't drive myself though i had my boyfriend take me. Baby steps are great though!

Old 08-26-2012, 09:25 AM   #12
(female)

Just a quick question. I have been doing great with my recovery ...I've only been taking advil as needed for the pain. And its more of a discomfort than pain. My question is has anyone ever experienced discomfort towards the end of the day after just sitting all day with the ankle elevated? I've tried different chairs, different positions and different heights of elevation. And ive also got like a tingling in my upper thigh on my good leg..just in a small area. Anyone ever experience this? At first it was numb then went to the tingling ever now and then. But when i lay down at night i get a burning feeling in that area. My boyfriend seems to think its because of those muscles being worked more since I'm NWB on the ankle and using crutches. But i don't know.

Old 08-26-2012, 11:19 AM   #13
(female)

Don't know, sorry. Best guess would be that it might be from sitting so much. I've tried to make sure I constantly shift my weight a little so the blood flow is never constricted in any one area for too long. I was never told to take blood thinners or warned about clots after any of my surgeries, but I've been careful to move around a lot as a precaution anyway.

It could also be that your spine is compressing a bit from the way that you're sitting, and that can send nerve signals down to your leg. Be careful that however you're elevating your leg isn't causing extra pressure to be shifted to your lower back. A lumbar wedge might help, as would keeping the knees bent.

Old 08-26-2012, 12:01 PM   #14
(female)

pclare, I have done all those things that you mentioned. I am trying different ways today and it seems to be helping. The tingling isn't all the time just occassional. And I wasn't told about blood clots either but my mom had one after a foot surgery so I know its not that because of different symptoms. Thanks for your help though.

Old 08-27-2012, 06:53 AM   #15
(female)

2 week post op visit today!!! I get my stitches out and then hopefully into the boot and not a cast. Wish me luck!

Closed Thread