It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2012, 03:54 AM   #1
(male)

Angry toe HB User
Update from Surgery

I am 8 weeks( 6-22-2012) post op from IP fusion of left great toe and removal of medial sesamoid (in toto). Toe and underside of toe (ball of foot) still extremely swollen and painful. At 4 week check up Dr. removed pin from toe and advised me to try to get a shoe on. I am wearing a athletic shoe (Reebok Real Flex) after 1/2 hour foot my toe and ball of foot are extremely painful. I am walking on the outside edge of foot and heel. I have tried to walk aroound the block but by the time I am done and remove shoe, foot swells even more, and due to walking like this prior to and after surgery, I have developed a large Baker's cyst behind left knee and left knee is swollen quite markedly. I have appt with Dr on 8-22-2012. Is it normal for such activity 8 weeks post op. I am concerned that the hardware ( plate and screws) may not have had enoough time to do what they are intended to do.
Any info will be greatly appreciated

Last edited by Angry toe; 08-20-2012 at 04:08 AM.

Old 08-22-2012, 01:26 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User
Re: Update from Surgery

it sounds like you need to be in a boot. did the toe fuse?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-27-2012, 06:32 AM   #3
(male)

Angry toe HB User

Thanks for the reply. I met with surgeon on 8-22-2012, she ordered PT 3 times per week X 4 weeks. I am unable to bend other toes on foot, also sharp almost electrical type shooting pain the length of great toe. Swelling of great toe and underside( ball of foot).Dr. advised that if it persist after therapy sessions are completed, she will " probably have to take one of the screws out. She is stating that the therapy is to treat
" tendonitis of flexor hallucis longus" tendon.

Any ideas, comments, etc

Old 08-27-2012, 01:06 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User

i am sorry but dont quite understand. why cant the other toes move? is this a fusion of the great toe only?

Old 08-28-2012, 08:04 AM   #5
(male)

Angry toe HB User

I dont know why the other toes dont move, I asked Dr. and she had xray taken, said fusion looks ok, but then she stated that she may have to remove one of the screws. I asked her to elaborate, but she just said we will try some therapy to see if we can get ROM in the other 4 toes. Only fused the great toe. I have been looking online and am now concerned that there is something with the tendons that control the other toes? I am sure that the time between the accident 12/8/2011 and the date of surgery 6-22-2012( 7+ months) didnt help any. I was walking on the outside and heel of foot due to the pain from the fractures to the great toe and the crushed sesamoids. As I stated in my prior posts, I have developed a baker's cyst behind my left knee, as well as popping andn grinding in my kneecap due to my altered gait over that 7+ month period.

Closed Thread