It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2012, 01:51 PM   #1
(female)

womanandawife HB User
What is normal after a cast comes off ankle? And what to expect from bone stumulator?

I broke my right ankle (and my left foot) back at the end of June. Last week the cast came off my ankle. Doc told me I would need physcial therapy ( my first appointment is next week.)

I have some questions...my ankle is swollen and bruised...it was swollen after the cast came off but more so now. The brusuing seems to have appeared overnight. Are these things normal? The pain is also more than I expected, will physical therapy be painful?

My foot is still broken after nearly 8 weeks. My doc is getting me a bone Stimulator which she says she will explain once my insurance approves it. What is a bone stimulator? Will it hurt? She said if my foot is still broken in four works I might to start discussing surgery? I am scared.

Any advice or similar stories will be appreciated. Thanks.

The following user gives a hug of support to womanandawife:
Rbauer (08-22-2012)
Old 08-22-2012, 01:49 PM   #2
(female)

Rbauer HB User
Re: What is normal after a cast comes off ankle? And what to expect from bone stumula

Hi there
Did you have surgery on your ankle or were you just casted? Are you putting weight on it? If so are you now in a boot? Swelling is pretty normal, especially if you have it in a 'down' position..Continue to elevate & ice it, that should help with both the bruising & swelling.
I don't know anything about a bone stimulator, sorry...
I broke my ankle 9 years ago & remember how uncomfortable it was when the cast came off..I went right into a boot afterwards for another 5 or 6 weeks.. I'm not gonna lie, PT isn't too pleasant, BUT, it's a GOOD unpeasant, if that makes sense..
I'm currently recovering from ankle replacement..severe post trauma arthritis. I'm 7 weeks post op & still mostly NWB..
Good luck to you & LISTEN to your Doc & Therapist!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-27-2012, 01:46 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB User
Re: What is normal after a cast comes off ankle? And what to expect from bone stumula

Swelling, pain and bruising after the cast comes off is normal. Keep it elevated as much as possible and iced too! Are you in a boot? Are you in a boot now? Are you allowed to walk on it? Weight bearing will also make swelling and pain worse as will transitioning into a boot. I'm 6 months out from my 2nd ankle reconstruction and I still have swelling just about every day.

As far as thr bone stimulator. I broke my 5th met (small bone on outside of the foot leading to the pinky toe) on my left foot in 2004. It was thr bad Jones fracture kind where most of the time it doesn't make a union because the area is not very vascular. I was put on crutches for 6 wks with strict NWB instructions and couldn't even so much as rest my toes on the floor. I was also given a bone stimulator. They were really expensive back them, but my insurance covered some and the company covered the rest since I agreed to evaluate it for them. Bone stimulators do NOT hurt. They encourage blood supply to the area with heat inducing ultrasound type waves. It is a little contraption that has on/off switch and maybe some setting controls (I forget, it's been a while!) and you strap this little round disk shaped thing to the spot (after putting conduction gel on it) and then turn thr machine on for the desired time. It should either have only one time and it's on/off or will have the ability to program the time set by your doctor. Once you're done, you turn it off, unstrap the disk and clean it and your foot up from the gel and you're done till its next use. I only had to do it once a day. It worked well for me and saved me from having to have a pin placed. I hope it does the same for you! If you have any other questions, please let me know!

Closed Thread