It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2012, 10:57 AM   #1
(female)

sumatra22 HB User
PTTD Surgery - 12 days post-op!!

Hi everyone. I posted before my surgery for some advice, and got advice from some of you which was great! I had an FDL tendon transfer, Medial displacement calcaneal osteotomy, and Gastrocnemius recession, aka "the usual suspects" on 8/14/12 at 7:45 AM and was released from the hospital on 8/16/12 around 3:00 PM. I swear they were holding me hostage, lol. The hospital experience had some ups and downs, starting with the lack of available rooms after my surgery. So I was in the 'overflow' area for 8 hours after 2.5 hours in recovery before they found me a room in the Med Surg unit, because Ortho had no beds. I'm not sure if this is normal, and I rolled with the punches (since I didn't have a choice). But man, what a pain! They called an ortho nurse over when my foot swelled up bad at least. They didn't know what to do, and he acted quickly, as well as scolded them for making me get up and hop 6 feet away from my bed to use a commode, instead of getting a bed pan as I should have used. Either way, is embarrassing, but a bed pan is less painful. Nurse Jamie from Ortho got a special note sent to him, he rocked! LOL

Anyway, I've been home and adjusting alright. I took my pain meds religiously for 4 days, and then weaned myself off, a little too fast. So Monday-Wednesday this week had some ups and downs. None pain-related, that has been kept at bay with Ibuprofen. But withdrawel symptoms, i guess. I didn't expect them after a week.

Hubby has been great, though we've had a few arguments because we're both so frustrated. These things happen, and we brush them off. Most of my day is spent upstairs in my bedroom, since the bathroom is up there as well. I'm making more appearances downstairs for longer periods of time. Yesterday I spent about 5 hours on the first floor, it was great. I even made a pitcher of iced tea. It made me feel "normal". The knee walker is handy for getting things in the kitchen.

My follow-up appt. is on the 29th, and I feel like that won't come soon enough. I can only assume the swelling I did have has gone down dramatically, because my splint feels "shifty' when I move. I hold my leg carefully, because I don't want it slipping around in there! Anyone else have this problem, and if so, did it end once your cast was put on? I assume it will. I also assume the cast will weigh less than the splint, presumably made of lead (lol), and 50 layers of padding and ace bandages.

Ok, thanks for listening to the babble. I'm interested though, in other people's experiences the first few weeks as well. Also wondering if any desk jockey's went back to work before the cast came off, and how soon did you? I'm hoping to return to work in september, 10-15 hours weekly, then do the rest remotely. Though I do a lot of running throughout the day, I really can stay glued to my desk. Am I getting ahead of myself? Probably, but it's a nice goal.

Thanks in advance!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-25-2012, 09:09 PM   #2
(female)

2bumfeet HB User
Re: PTTD Surgery - 12 days post-op!!

It sounds like your recovery is moving forward - that's wonderful! I wanted to address the work question. I had a few additional procedures: in addition to the posterior calcaneal osteotomy and gastric recession you mentioned, I also had a lateral column lengthening with graft, tarso-metatarsal fusion with graft, modified mcbride, and silver procedure. The tendon was debrided a bit, but I didn't need a tendon transfer. I'm currently 5 weeks post-op, and I went to work at the 4 week mark. I sit most of the time, but do need to get up and move around some every hour. It's been do-able, but I've been absolutely exhausted. I think there's a reason most folks take off at least 8 weeks with these kinds of procedures. Regarding your cast/work question, I'm still in a cast, and I'll be non-weight-bearing until at least 8 weeks post-op. It's been tough. If you can take more time off, I'd encourage you to do that - although I recognize that our surgeries were slightly different, and that our recoveries may also be different. Whatever you decide, good luck!

The Following User Says Thank You to 2bumfeet For This Useful Post:
sumatra22 (08-27-2012)
Old 08-26-2012, 08:46 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Missyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB User

Congratulations, sounds like you are doing well post op. After the surgical splint, comes the cast. I do not think that the cast felt lighter then the surgical splint. Two years ago I had ptt repair, fdl tendon transfer, kidner procedure, repair of fx bone, achielles tendon lengthening and a calcaneal osteotomy. Due to the nature of my job (RT in hospital), I was unable to return to work until 3 months post op. Even at that, the demands on my foot were difficult. But working at a desk, you doctor will probably allow you to return back much earlier. Just remember, even after getting the splint off, it will still be really important to keep your foot elevated. When it hangs down, you will get the rush of blood to your toes and they will change color! Good luck.

The Following User Says Thank You to Missyluke For This Useful Post:
sumatra22 (08-27-2012)
Old 08-27-2012, 07:13 AM   #4
(female)

sumatra22 HB User

Thanks to both of you! 2bumfeet, I really could stay home the whole time, but there are a lot of reasons I want to return early. I'm actually in a temp position at a University, that I filled in for once before. The department director I'm filling in for will most likely not return from the medical leave she is on, offering me a strong opportunity to take over the department, something I would really love. I know that my absence would not stop them from offering me the position, in fact, they are so happy with me, they got me a temp. I think that's funny. Plus, the dean of my department had extensive ankle surgery a few years ago, so if there is anyone who understands, it's him. He too, warned me of how tired I will be. I will take your advice into consideration, believe me.

MissyLuke, you've really bummed me out saying the cast is just as heavy! LOL Seriously, I figured it would be, was just hoping otherwise. Did you find it to not shift a lot, though? We unwrapped some of the ace bandages and tightened them because my splint has been shifting so much when I move. It helped a little, but I still have move carefully, because it shifts so much it's rubbing against the ankle incision area and the friction hurts. I'm afraid my surgeon is gonna freak out and tell me I messed up when he takes it off. (I doubt it). My foot is always elevated, and I use my knee walker more than crutches to get around. Cause yea, the pressure "thump" is no fun! Whenever I do return to work, I will certainly continue keeping my foot elevated. Thanks!

Old 08-27-2012, 07:24 AM   #5
(female)

sumatra22 HB User

Thanks to both of you! 2bumfeet, I really could stay home the whole time, but there are a lot of reasons I want to return early. I'm actually in a temp position at a University, that I filled in for once before. The department director I'm filling in for will most likely not return from the medical leave she is on, offering me a strong opportunity to take over the department, something I would really love. I know that my absence would not stop them from offering me the position, in fact, they are so happy with me, they got me a temp. I think that's funny. Plus, the dean of my department had extensive ankle surgery a few years ago, so if there is anyone who understands, it's him. He too, warned me of how tired I will be. I will take your advice into consideration, believe me.

MissyLuke, you've really bummed me out saying the cast is just as heavy! LOL Seriously, I figured it would be, was just hoping otherwise. Did you find it to not shift a lot, though? We unwrapped some of the ace bandages and tightened them because my splint has been shifting so much when I move. It helped a little, but I still have move carefully, because it shifts so much it's rubbing against the ankle incision area and the friction hurts. I'm afraid my surgeon is gonna freak out and tell me I messed up when he takes it off. (I doubt it). My foot is always elevated, and I use my knee walker more than crutches to get around. Cause yea, the pressure "thump" is no fun! Whenever I do return to work, I will certainly continue keeping my foot elevated. Thanks!

Old 08-29-2012, 06:23 PM   #6
(female)

Ditsy1 HB UserDitsy1 HB UserDitsy1 HB UserDitsy1 HB UserDitsy1 HB User

Hi Sumatra,

I am 9 days post op today for pretty much the same procedures you had done, on my left foot. I got a hard fiberglass cast yesterday and am feeling much more secure than I did when in the splint. It doesn't feel too heavy. I will be non weight bearing for another 5 or 6 weeks. I found this board was such a helpful resource when prepping for the surgery, and it is good to read about other folks' experiences post surgery. I have five incisions and my foot is still pretty swollen, but it doesn't hurt too badly today. I have also been religious about elevating it, thanks to advice I got here. I am going back to work on September 10. I have a knee scooter and am doing well on the crutches so far. I also have a desk job and am worried about the fatigue. Anyway, I wish you well!

Ditsy

Old 08-30-2012, 01:14 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB User

Hi! Sounds like yunare doing pretty well! iBooks like you had an appt today? Did you get your splint off and your cast on? If so, what color did you get? I have to say that my cast was a lot lighter and not nearly as bulky as my post-op splint! My splint was HUGE and my toes were enclosed and it was a montrosity! I was so relieved to get my cast because it was lighter, cooler, and my toes were free! When I had the choice to go into the boot (but would still be NWB), I chose another cast because it was lighter than the boot, not bulky, and the cast is cleaner and not nearly as hot! LOL!

I've had 2 ankle surgeries, most recent was 6 months ago so still recovering, but doing well. After this surgery in Feb, I was in the splint for 7 days, cast #1 for 2 weeks, cast #2 for 3 weeks, NWB for 6 wks (but it was 8 wks before I was completely weaned off both crutches). At the time the time the 2nd cast came off at the 6 wk mark, I went into a walking boot for another 4 wks and I began PT at this 6wk mark too. I did PT for 3 months. Is that the kind of info you were wanting to know about how other people's surgeries went? If not, let me know what you're looking for! I know for me, other people's experiences were important to me because it helped me know what to expect or how things were or weren't supposed to go! Hope you aren't in much pain and it's getting easier!

Old 08-31-2012, 06:02 PM   #8
(female)

prico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumatra22 View Post
Hi everyone. I posted before my surgery for some advice, and got advice from some of you which was great! I had an FDL tendon transfer, Medial displacement calcaneal osteotomy, and Gastrocnemius recession, aka "the usual suspects" on 8/14/12 at 7:45 AM and was released from the hospital on 8/16/12 around 3:00 PM. I swear they were holding me hostage, lol. The hospital experience had some ups and downs, starting with the lack of available rooms after my surgery. So I was in the 'overflow' area for 8 hours after 2.5 hours in recovery before they found me a room in the Med Surg unit, because Ortho had no beds. I'm not sure if this is normal, and I rolled with the punches (since I didn't have a choice). But man, what a pain! They called an ortho nurse over when my foot swelled up bad at least. They didn't know what to do, and he acted quickly, as well as scolded them for making me get up and hop 6 feet away from my bed to use a commode, ins tead of getting a bed pan as I should have used. Either way, is embarrassing, but a bed pan is less painful. Nurse Jamie from Ortho got a special note sent to him, he rocked! LOL

Anyway, I've been home and a djusting alright. I took my pain meds religiously for 4 days, and then weaned myself off, a little too fast. So Monday-Wednesday this week had some ups and downs. None pain-related, that has been kept at bay with Ibuprofen. But withdrawel symptoms, i guess. I didn't expect them after a week.

Hubby has been great, though we've had a few arguments because we're both so frustrated. These things happen, and we brush them off. Most of my day is spent upstairs in my bedroom, since the bathroom is up there as well. I'm making more appearances downstairs for longer periods of time. Yesterday I spent about 5 hours on the first floor, it was great. I even made a pitcher of iced tea. It made me feel "normal". The knee walker is handy for getting things in the kitchen.

My follow-up appt. is on the 29th, and I feel like that won't come soon enough. I can only assume the swelling I did have has gone down dramatically, because my splint feels "shifty' when I move. I hold my leg carefully, because I don't want it slipping around in there! Anyone else have this problem, and if so, did it end once your cast was put on? I assume it will. I also assume the cast will weigh less than the splint, presumably made of lead (lol), and 50 layers of padding and ace bandages.

Ok, thanks for listening to the babble. I'm interested though, in other people's experiences the first few weeks as well. Also wondering if any desk jockey's went back to work before the cast came off, and how soon did you? I'm hoping to return to work in september, 10-15 hours weekly, then do the rest remotely. Though I do a lot of running throughout the day, I really can stay glued to my desk. Am I getting ahead of myself? Probably, but it's a nice goal.

Thanks in advance!!
You have alot in common with me and you are 9 days ahead of me in recovery. When did you first go downstairs. How was your appt do you feel better in the new cast you made me laugh because i was wondering why my splint was shifty and then i read your post duh of course the swelling is going down somewhat let me know how you are it helps me so much thank you

Old 08-31-2012, 07:22 PM   #9
(female)

2bumfeet HB User

I'm a bit ahead of you, Prico54 - I just hit the 6 week mark. What procedures did you have done? I found the fiberglass cast much more comfortable than the splint - I hope you do as well. I just moved into an air cast, but I'm still non-weight-bearing. I cautiously do a few steps at work (3), usually with someone right next to me. I fall often just when hobbling around, so i'm very careful with stairs. I've heard of people going down stairs on their backside, and i'm planning to do that when i have to deal with a lengthier staircase.

Despite being forewarned, I have to admit that i've been a bit taken aback by the slow pace of this recovery.

Sumatra22, I hope your appointment went well! Are you still planning to return to work next week?

Old 08-31-2012, 08:00 PM   #10
(female)

prico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bumfeet View Post
I'm a bit ahead of you, Prico54 - I just hit the 6 week mark. What procedures did you have done? I found the fiberglass cast much more comfortable than the splint - I hope you do as well. I just moved into an air cast, but I'm still non-weight-bearing. I cautiously do a few steps at work (3), usually with someone right next to me. I fall often just when hobbling around, so i'm very careful with stairs. I've heard of people going down stairs on their backside, and i'm planning to do that when i have to deal with a lengthier staircase.

Despite being forewarned, I have to admit that i've been a bit taken aback by the slow pace of this recovery.

Sumatra22, I hope your appointment went well! Are you still planning to return to work next week?
I wish I had the right medical explanation for what he did I know there are abbreviations for this stff but I had a pttd tendon transfer a calcaneal osteotomy with a heel screw and a osteochondral defect removed from the talar dome does that make sense? It has been one week today and I am just getting to accept this nwb thing. I love this board I think it keeps me in touch with what is happening to me and what to expect. My daughter wants to have me go downstairs tomorrow but I am scared. I got up with my crutches this am and fell on my bad foot oh my God. Basically I am up to the commode by myself and walk to the bathroom with a family member standing by. My dr said do nothinh for two wks I also have to inject myself with lovenox every day. Did you do this?

Old 08-31-2012, 08:26 PM   #11
(female)

2bumfeet HB User

I had a slightly different set of procedures - a calcaneal osteotomy, lateral column lengthening, tarsometatarsal fusion, modified mcbride, silver procedure, gastroc recession, and debridement of my posterior tib tendon - I have about six screws and a couple of plates - so our recoveries may have somewhat different timelines. I had to take lovenox as well, until this week - I was so happy to be done with that!

I think most of us have fallen on our surgical foot - obviously, we should try to avoid that, but hopefully the splint/cast/boot protect adequately.

If I were you, I wouldn't feel comfortable going down stairs at one week post-op unless I was going down on my backside. I think the posts on 'tactics for dealing with non-weight-bearing time' have some good suggestions about stairs. I think even at six weeks (where I am now) I wouldn't feel comfortable on a lengthy set of stairs with just crutches. (I'd use the backside/crawling method.) Most importantly, I'd stay within your comfort zone- if you feel more comfortable postponing the steps, go with your gut.

One week is really early! Take care of yourself.

Old 09-01-2012, 12:11 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB User

2bumfeet--You said you had a modified McBride. What exactly is that and is it named after Dr McBride that just retired? He is in my city and he came recommended to me, but he had JUST retired. I loved my surgeon though. I had a Brostrom-Gould or modified Brostrom.

Old 09-01-2012, 09:09 AM   #13
(female)

2bumfeet HB User

Not sure who it's named after - sorry! But it was a procedure for my bunion....

Closed Thread