It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2012, 11:25 PM   #1
(male)

luck25 HB Userluck25 HB User
post op ankle swell

It's been 4 weeks since surgery on my atfl ligament in my ankle. And it seems the swelling is increasing. I had it up the first week and everything looked great. Now its swelling. I'm almost not weight bearing. Doc wants me to put some weight but not all. Could that have something to do with the swelling? I am keeping it up now to see if it will go down.

Old 08-27-2012, 12:46 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB User
Re: post op ankle swell

Oh yes! Starting to partial weight bear not only can be a cause, it probably IS the cause! Swelling after ankle surgery last a good while. I had my 2nd ankle reconstruction in Feb and I still am dealing with swelling. My doctor says I will have swelling and some pain until about 9 months out. I had swelling a good while after my first surgery too, but I forget how many months. Definitely not less than 6. Keep it elevated and iced as much as possible when sitting down.

The Following User Says Thank You to Hollywood48 For This Useful Post:
luck25 (08-27-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-27-2012, 09:03 AM   #3
(male)

Thanks for the post. This is my first surgery. And I'm unsure about everything. I'm also concerned about my job. And when I'll be ready to go back. I drive a semi truck and deliver food all day, heavy lifting 10 to 14 hours a day. Doc doesn't say much. Any ideas?

The following user gives a hug of support to luck25:
Cannier (08-31-2012)
Old 08-27-2012, 11:18 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB User

Hmm...which foot is it? If its your right foot, may be a while because you will have to be out of the boot completely and able to use the gas and brake pedals very well (ie slam on brakes and hold them down) without pain/issues. If its your left foot and a clutch is involved, then same thing. On top of that, you have to be able to tolerate being on it and doing the heavy lifting all day. That can take its toll! After my first surgery, I went back to my job as an ICU RN on week 5, still in the boot. Big mistake. My advice is take it slow and really allow it to heal well before pushing it!

The following user gives a hug of support to Hollywood48:
luck25 (08-28-2012)
Old 08-31-2012, 04:30 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

K_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB User

Swelling is normal up to a year, but it really increases when you first start weight bearing.

Old 08-31-2012, 01:59 PM   #6
(female)

Cannier HB User

I can really sympathize with you, luck25. I drive a city transit bus for a living, and I'm 8 weeks out. When I had my pre-op consultation, the surgeon told me it would be about 7 weeks before I'd be able to drive a bus. I was really counting on that. He was so wrong! I don't have to do any heavy lifting like you do, but I do have to be able to sit in a cramped space for long periods; when I'm fortunate enough to have a break, it's usually very short. I've exhausted all my sick leave benefits and am having to get a loan modification on my house because I can't pay the mortgage. It's tough not getting a paycheck.

My surgery was different from yours, but I know how you're feeling. I started weight-bearing (from 0-30 pounds) almost 2 weeks ago, and even tho' it feels pretty good when I get out of bed in the morning, the swelling and soreness has me in bed before the day is half gone. I'm icing, but frankly, it doesn't seem to help much.

The Following User Says Thank You to Cannier For This Useful Post:
luck25 (08-31-2012)
Old 08-31-2012, 02:00 PM   #7
(female)

Cannier HB User

xoxoxoxoxoxox

Last edited by Cannier; 08-31-2012 at 02:02 PM. Reason: dupicate post

luck25 (08-31-2012)
Old 08-31-2012, 02:51 PM   #8
(female)

nakigirl HB User

Hi. One week of elevation is not long. I am 5 weeks post op and only now just starting to not get the swelling with my foot down. Still NWB.
I would have thought 2 - 6 weeks of elevation.
Good luck with it all, just take it easy. It will get better with time.

Old 08-31-2012, 09:42 PM   #9
(male)

Managing swelling well now. Off crutches now two days at 4 and a half weeks. In the boot but how great. A little scary and sore but not bad. Keep it up when resting. Seems to be good. Thank u for the posts. It is a great support. Don't stop I would still like to hear how u are all doing as well as I will keep u posted. Plan to be in boot two more weeks then an ankle brace.

Last edited by luck25; 08-31-2012 at 09:45 PM.

Old 09-03-2012, 09:19 AM   #10
(female)

Cannier HB User
Thumbs up Re: post op ankle swell

Oh wow, that's great luck25! You'll be on the road again before ya' know it! I hope it continues to progress--- that you continue to heal--- quickly and without ANY complications!! God bless you. FanTAStic news!

luck25 (09-03-2012)
Old 09-03-2012, 11:08 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Yes, you are doing really well it sounds like! You are definitely doing the right things! Keep it up and you'll be surprised how fast you progress! After you become FWB, it goes so much faster! Yay and keep going!

The Following User Says Thank You to Hollywood48 For This Useful Post:
luck25 (09-10-2012)
Closed Thread