It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2012, 06:30 AM   #1
(female)

Tlrgrills HB UserTlrgrills HB UserTlrgrills HB User
5 weeks post ankle surgery - questions

Hi, I had arthroscopic ankle surgery for a chipped talus/debridement about 5 weeks ago. I just started my 2nd week of PWB with crutches and a boot. One week from today I graduate to full weight bearing with a brace and cane.

I was wondering if it is normal to still have fatigue after I've been up and about. It feels like I can only do so much before I hit a wall energetically.

Thanks for any input.

Old 08-29-2012, 09:15 AM   #2
(female)

suebob30 HB Usersuebob30 HB User
Re: 5 weeks post ankle surgery - questions

Not sure on that. I was never NWB after my debriment and that's why i had the second surgery. There are plenty of people on here that can answer your question though. Good luck and welcome to the boards.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-29-2012, 01:04 PM   #3
(male)

luck25 HB Userluck25 HB User

Talis debriment. Hmm. If that is a lesion in the talis I have that too. I had surgery on my atfl 4 weeks now. They couldn't do the lesion in the same surgery so I wonder if I will have to go get that done. I am still in the boot. Are u still in pain? Hope not hope all goes well. What made u opt for surgery? A little curious. Mine hurt in thr too. Wish u well. O yes and I get tired too some days.

Last edited by luck25; 08-29-2012 at 01:34 PM.

Old 08-29-2012, 04:22 PM   #4
(female)

[QUOTE=luck25;5047592]Talis debriment. Hmm. If that is a lesion in the talis I have that too. I had surgery on my atfl 4 weeks now. They couldn't do the lesion in the same surgery so I wonder if I will have to go get that done. I am still in the boot. Are u still in pain? Hope not hope all goes well. What made u opt for surgery? A little curious. Mine hurt in thr too. Wish u well. O yes and I get tired too some days.[/QUOTE]

I stepped into a hole and injured my ankle in July, while I was on vacation. In addition to chipping the talus I tore the ligaments. I saw 4 orthopedists. One while on vacation and the other three here at home. Not having the surgery was not an option. Every Dr. I saw recommended the same surgery.

I'm still in some pain. Some days are worse than others. But it is not anywhere near as painful as it was before the surgery. It has been quite a journey. Emotionally as well as physically.

The following user gives a hug of support to Tlrgrills:
Iloverockmusic (09-05-2012)
Old 08-29-2012, 11:40 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB User

Hi! I'm so sorry to hear you injured your ankle and had to have surgery. I can definitely sympathize! I initially injured my ankle the same way you did by stepping into a hole while playing flag football. I also had to have reconstructive surgery (open repair). That was 11years ago. I'm 6 months out from my 2nd reconstructive surgery to repair the ligaments again, a tendon tear, and an osteotomy (break and drill the bone) to deepen thr fibular groove so the tendons won't continue to pop out of place. What you are experiencing with fatigue, lack of energy, etc is very normal! First, you've had surgery and that in itself is taxing on the body. However, what most people don't realize is how big of a role anesthesia plays in this. (I'm a surgical ICU RN) I'm assuming you had general anesthesia (put to sleep) for your surgery, correct? If so, depending on what was used and your body size, etc, anesthesia can take up to 6 months to get completely out of the body. Most of the time it leaves well before then, like I said it depends on you and thr drug. But definitely only 5 weeks out, you still have some lingering effects of anesthesia. This has happened to me a few times to me. Coupled with the anesthesia, the surgery itself and the lack of activity, you will have to build back up your strength! Good news is that once you are FWB it comes back fairly quickly! Good luck and I hope your pain gets better soon. Are you still on pain meds? Keep it elevated and iced! If you have any other questions, ask away! It's what we're all here for!

Old 08-30-2012, 03:45 AM   #6
(female)

Hi, I did have general anasthesia. I didn't realize that it could take so long for the effects of the anasthesia to work its way through my body. I'm still in some pain but I can mostly take care of it with ice, elevation and some ibuprofen. Occasionally if it gets really bad I will take a pain killer.

I was pretty depressed and grouchy for a few weeks after the surgery but thankfully I seem to have passed that.

This board has been a lifesaver!!

Old 08-31-2012, 01:21 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB User

No problem! Mood can be affected too because of your situation! Oh and don't be afraid to have general anesthesia again in the future. IF that's what is happening to you this time, it won't necessarily happen the next time! It hasn't happened to me after every surgery or procedure I've had!

Old 08-31-2012, 03:32 AM   #8
(female)

I was glad that I had general anasthesia. I had wrist surgery in 2007. My Dr. Did not use general and it was awful. I would have taken the side effects of general compared to what I went through during the wrist surgery.

I'm just glad that the mood issues seem to have passed.

Old 09-05-2012, 10:21 AM   #9
(female)

Iloverockmusic HB UserIloverockmusic HB User

[QUOTE=Tlrgrills;5048447]I was glad that I had general anasthesia. I had wrist surgery in 2007. My Dr. Did not use general and it was awful. I would have taken the side effects of general compared to what I went through during the wrist surgery.

I'm just glad that the mood issues seem to have passed.[/QUOTE]
OUCH!!! The thought of having any major surgery without general anesthesia scares me!!! When I fractured-dislocated my right talus, the pain was off the chart!!! It didn't really hurt until they took my shoe off. In fact, the only thing that made me feel that it was broken was that it felt like the bones were no longer articulating with each other. I was still in the driver's seat when I thought that it was broken. If weight had been put on it or I had tried to walk on it, I would have known it was broken.
While in the ambulance and in the ER, pain meds were NEVER administered!!! Even though I was screaming...it was too laborious to talk...they never administered pain meds through injections or through IV. My blood pressure was 60/30. The doctor said that surgery could not be performed until my vitals improved. I'm unsure if that is why no pain meds were given until an hour before my surgery...three rounds or Demerol and finally the pain was at bay and I could talk. I WELCOMED the thought of surgery and especially, general anesthesia!!!!! Knew that I would be pain-free for a few hours!!!!

Closed Thread

Tags
ankle, arthroscopy, debridement, fatigue, torn ligament