It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2012, 07:54 AM   #1
(male)

bruno3457 HB User
Subtalar Fusion

On October 10th, 2011, I sustained an injury from falling thru a set of steps about 32 inches off the ground. I had to have emergency surgery to stabilize my sub talar joint that had dislocated. 2 weeks later, I underwent another surgery to fix my heel which had split in two, and had screws and other hardware installed. After being in a hard cast, then transitioning to a walking boot, I began physical therapy. That lasted for about 4 months. I am now able to walk, but have varying levels of pain based on my activity. Any movement of my ankle on an un even surface, causes some serious pain. I went back to my doctor, and he confirmed I have post traumatic arthritis build up in my subtalar joint as a result of the initial injury. He suggested several things to help alleviate the pain, (ie, shots, pain killers, limit activity, etc.) I wanted to know how to "eliminate" the pain. He talked to me about doing a sub talar fusion. He would remove bone from my knee area, and do a graft over the joint, and also insert some more screws to totally eliminate the side to side movement in my foot. I have been doing much research on this procedure and have read many kinds of responses. I am looking for any advice from anyone who may have had this done, and what your outcome was. I am a 38 year old male.

Old 08-30-2012, 08:02 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Zerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB User
Re: Subtalar Fusion

I take an anti inlfamatory almost every morning, aleve or motrin. I take a tramadol for breakthrough pain, and vicodin if it is really bad, but that is not to often.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-14-2012, 12:08 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

LadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB User
Re: Subtalar Fusion

Bruno,
I had fusion surgery back in April of this year. I had the subtalar fusion as well as a talonavicular fusion with achilles tendon lengthening. My main issue was in the talonavicular joint but he fused the subtalar joint to better support my ankle. Surgery recovery has been somewhat rough for me. Its hard work to be on crutches and to take care of yourself. I have had some setbacks after my fusion being damaged in physical therapy. My hardware is in tact but the bone regrowth between the two bones was compromised. I think in the long run it is going to be the right choice for me to have the surgery. If you have a job where you are going to be on your feet a lot, you're going to have to miss a significant amount of work. I would recommend getting a knee walker or roll a about. They're lifesavers!!!! I am 32 years old and totally understand what you're going through. If you have any questions at all feel free to ask!

Closed Thread

Tags
ankle, heel, subtalar fusion