It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2012, 03:45 AM   #16
Senior Veteran
(female)

ginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB User
Re: Surgery scheduled for 9/18

Sunni...what is a couch cane?

Old 09-12-2012, 09:10 AM   #17
(female)

SunniDay HB UserSunniDay HB User
Smile Re: Surgery scheduled for 9/18

Thanks, Ginger ~ great tips!

I got my wheelchair today. I went to the Medical Supply place to order it, and they had a brand new one I was able to bring home with me. I've practiced with it a little already. Thankfully, it's easier than I thought. We'll see how easy it is after the surgery!

They also had a knee walker that's different than the one I looked at last week. I tried it, and think I could use it for short periods. I'm sure my knee couldn't take it for long, due to the old injury. But I believe it would be easier to get around with at home. My bathroom isn't big enough for the wheelchair. I'm going to check out the purchase price, and may buy one. My insurance will pay 100% of the rental fee for chair or knee walker, but won't pay for both at the same time. Since I'll have the other foot done in a year or so, I'm thinking owning one wouldn't be a bad idea.

I'm going to check out the site I usually order things from. They probably have the knee walker, and there I'm going to order the wheelchair accessories I need from them. Great idea about signing up for their Prime deal.

Denise

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-13-2012, 08:53 AM   #18
(female)

prico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB User

Denise, sounds like you are getting ready and it pays off to be prepared. I over planned and I am really glad I did. I bought all the equipment in advance and have used all of it. There isnt anything I got that I havent needed. I did buy a used ice boot and used it alot when I had the big splint on. Now with the fiberglass cast it wont do any good but in a week I can ice it again. I will battle to keep the swelling at a minimum. I use my knee scooter alot. I take it in the yard and get to my lawn chair. I feel much safer than with the crutches. The bed wedge my sister bought me is great for elevating my foot in bed or on the sofa. I use my regular walker to go from my bed to the bath, it depends on logistics but the walker fits better for me. Are you as nervous as can be? That was the worst part for me. That and the iv holy hell that was a nightmare. They make you fast after midnight and then they cant find a damn vein. I had the nerve block and I highly recommend it. Oh good luck to you I will be there in spirit for you just like you were for me and others.

Old 09-13-2012, 12:13 PM   #19
Senior Veteran
(female)

ginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB User

Hey Paula,
I got my knee scooter today and it is great all over the house except in the bathroom where it's a little narrow. How do you use your walker to get to the bathroom? Do you hop? Help please!

Old 09-13-2012, 01:25 PM   #20
(female)

Tlrgrills HB UserTlrgrills HB UserTlrgrills HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger62 View Post
Hey Paula,
I got my knee scooter today and it is great all over the house except in the bathroom where it's a little narrow. How do you use your walker to get to the bathroom? Do you hop? Help please!
I scootered to the toilet door and then hopped and shimmied to the toilet and then hopped and shimmied back to the scooter. It was really hard but it was the only way I could get in there.

The Following User Says Thank You to Tlrgrills For This Useful Post:
ginger62 (09-13-2012)
Old 09-13-2012, 01:38 PM   #21
(female)

prico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger62 View Post
Hey Paula,
Like I said it does depend on the layout of the bathroom. Mine is right next to my bedroom so it is basically around a corner. I shuffle the walker so that it moves around the toilet seat the I hold the walker and land on the seat. It was scary at first because I have a low seat. In fact a good recommendation would be if you have a low seat maybe use one of those potty seats? For that reason I used my bedside commode almost exclusively because you can adjust the height. I think you will be fine we all navigate the best we can. I wouldn't want a video of me hopping and crawling around. Who cares as long as I am mobile I don't care. I have to say I am getting pretty good at the hopping and balancing on one foot. Pretty good for an old lady (59).

Last edited by prico54; 09-13-2012 at 04:38 PM. Reason: err

The Following User Says Thank You to prico54 For This Useful Post:
ginger62 (09-13-2012)
Old 09-14-2012, 12:24 AM   #22
(female)

Ginger, a couch cane really isn't a cane at all. I don't know why they call it that. It's a device that helps you stand from a couch or recliner. It has a part that fits under the legs of your furniture, and a handle (sort of like a bed rail handle) that you grip to pull yourself up. I think I'll spend a lot of time in my recliner, and the seat is pretty low when it rocks forward as I get out of it. They sell them at medical supply places. You might be able to find a picture if you Google it.

Denise

Old 09-14-2012, 12:47 AM   #23
(female)

Prico~ yes, I am VERY nervous! It's been a rough year, and as much pain as I'm already in, I don't look forward to even more. I think the pain is what I'm the most nervous about. That, and being in a wheelchair for so long. I'm afraid my knees will be useless when I'm finally weight bearing. I wish I could use a knee walker, because at least my left leg would be getting some exercise and would be weight bearing. I've had arthritis in both knees since I was very young (in elementary school), and since breaking both of them several years ago, I have so much trouble with both of them. Maybe I should have had them worked on first. Anyhow, since they're so stiff and painful after just sitting for a while, I worry about how they'll be after not using them for a few months.

I do have a wedge pillow already. I got it earlier this year to prop my left arm on after my bilateral mastectomy. I just used a couple of pillows on the right side, but the left is higher risk for lymphedema because that's the side where lymph nodes were removed for biopsy. I plan on using the wedge pillow in bed and in my recliner after the surgery on my foot.

I checked with my surgeon's nurse, and he does plan on using a nerve block for the surgery. I was hoping he would also send me home with the cast cooler, but she said he doesn't use them because with the splint and bandages being so thick, the cool from the ice wouldn't reach my foot. He advises putting ice packs behind the knee to cool the blood as it goes down to the foot. So I'm wondering ~ just how thick are these bandages under the splint??? He'll being doing 5 procedures, and the surgery will take several hours. Will the splint/bandages be as big as a house?

Sometimes I'm afraid I don't really know what I'm getting in to, but maybe it's best that way. My doctor said that after I get past the first couple of months, during which I'll curse him every day, I'll want my left foot done, too. The second surgery would probably be in about a year. He says that my right foot will be stable for the first time in my life, and I'll really want stability in the other foot when I realize how much better it can be. I hope he's right!

I'm starting to ramble. It's the middle of the night, and I can't sleep. I had to take one of my dogs in to have her put down today. It's been a rough one. I'm hoping that after some time at the computer I'll finally be able to get some sleep.

Good night, ladies

Denise

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: SunniDay
ginger62 (09-14-2012), prico54 (09-14-2012)
Old 09-14-2012, 01:01 AM   #24
(female)

I just thought of another question. I've seen references to ice boot and cast cooler. Can anyone explain these and your experiences with them? I did find a site that has the cast cooler. You attach it to your vacuum hose and it circulates air and removes moisture from inside the cast. It's for use with a fiberglass cast. I would not use something like this without my surgeon's approval.

The cast cooler site talks about subjecting others to the offensive odor from your cast. I've never had a cast before. Is the smell really that bad? What can you do about it?

I think that's all the questions I have for now. Thanks!
Denise

Old 09-14-2012, 01:07 AM   #25
(female)

loki2012 HB Userloki2012 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunniDay View Post
Prico~ yes, I am VERY nervous! It's been a rough year, and as much pain as I'm already in, I don't look forward to even more. I think the pain is what I'm the most nervous about. That, and being in a wheelchair for so long. I'm afraid my knees will be useless when I'm finally weight bearing. I wish I could use a knee walker, because at least my left leg would be getting some exercise and would be weight bearing. I've had arthritis in both knees since I was very young (in elementary school), and since breaking both of them several years ago, I have so much trouble with both of them. Maybe I should have had them worked on first. Anyhow, since they're so stiff and painful after just sitting for a while, I worry about how they'll be after not using them for a few months.

I do have a wedge pillow already. I got it earlier this year to prop my left arm on after my bilateral mastectomy. I just used a couple of pillows on the right side, but the left is higher risk for lymphedema because that's the side where lymph nodes were removed for biopsy. I plan on using the wedge pillow in bed and in my recliner after the surgery on my foot.

I checked with my surgeon's nurse, and he does plan on using a nerve block for the surgery. I was hoping he would also send me home with the cast cooler, but she said he doesn't use them because with the splint and bandages being so thick, the cool from the ice wouldn't reach my foot. He advises putting ice packs behind the knee to cool the blood as it goes down to the foot. So I'm wondering ~ just how thick are these bandages under the splint??? He'll being doing 5 procedures, and the surgery will take several hours. Will the splint/bandages be as big as a house?

Sometimes I'm afraid I don't really know what I'm getting in to, but maybe it's best that way. My doctor said that after I get past the first couple of months, during which I'll curse him every day, I'll want my left foot done, too. The second surgery would probably be in about a year. He says that my right foot will be stable for the first time in my life, and I'll really want stability in the other foot when I realize how much better it can be. I hope he's right!

I'm starting to ramble. It's the middle of the night, and I can't sleep. I had to take one of my dogs in to have her put down today. It's been a rough one. I'm hoping that after some time at the computer I'll finally be able to get some sleep.

Good night, ladies

Denise
Yes my bandages are huge lol. Idk how the ice penetrates. It they said it will. I have the. Nerve block n it feels funny lol.

Old 09-14-2012, 07:16 AM   #26
Senior Veteran
(female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User

U could always leave a pair of crutches n the batroom

Old 09-14-2012, 09:39 AM   #27
(female)

Denise. Oh my God I had no idea about your history. Please don' t be too nervous. It is easy for me to say because I am past all the surgery. Not to mention that I was an absolute mental case before my surg. My heart breaks gor you putting down your doggie. My max is constantly by my side. He protects mr from all the mean people that come to visit me. Lol. As far as the ice machine goes, I did use it for the two weeks that I had my splint. It may not have done alot of good but my husband and son felt very good having something to do to make me feel good. It does help a little. Your drs advice about the ice behind the knee sounds ok too. I have heard this works well. The splint I had was super huge! It did feel like it wrighed ten tons but part of that was the numb leg. I stayed two nights in the hospital and it was still partially numb when I came home. I know just how you feel about wondering what you are getting into. I felt the same way. I wanted to cancel the whole thing but I am glad I didnt. Think how good it will be to have a fully functioing foot! Yrust your dr, he sounds great. Stay in ouch with me Denise, I will be praying for you. You have had enough crap, time for the good stuff! Right? Paula

Old 09-14-2012, 12:24 PM   #28
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oh honey! You are really having a time of it! I'm crazy nervous too. I will keep you in my prayers. Keep posting on how you're doing...I'm right behind you (9/25). I think your doctor is right. Once you get the first bad bit behind you it will be so much better. Big hugs! I'll be thinking of you all day Tuesday.

Old 09-17-2012, 02:29 PM   #29
Senior Veteran
(female)

Good luck tomorrow Denise! Let us know how you're doing.

Old 09-17-2012, 02:50 PM   #30
Senior Veteran
(female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User

yes good luck tomorrow Denise get in touch when you can! x Cathy

Closed Thread