HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Foot & Ankle Problems (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/foot-ankle-problems/)
-   -   Surgery scheduled for 9/18 (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/foot-ankle-problems/916523-surgery-scheduled-9-18-a.html)

SunniDay 08-30-2012 08:48 PM

Surgery scheduled for 9/18

I can't even say how glad I am that I found this board.

I'm feeling a little overwhelmed, but honestly relieved. I'm so,so tired of constant foot pain and problems. On 9/18 I'm having the following procedures. I'll type them exactly as they are on my paperwork, I'm just learning what the technical terms mean. My doctor explained everything quite clearly (little scary), and I've been looking up the terms to match them with the procedures he described. I should have taken someone with me to my appointment to take notes. I'm usually pretty good about understanding, remembering, asking questions. I think that because it's been such a whirlwind year, I wasn't as prepared as I usually am when I visit a doctor. I didn't think about how much information I would have to take in. So here's my list:

Right gastroc recession and dorsiflexion osteotomy midfoot fusion and tarsometatarsal first, second and third, lateral displacing calcaneal, peroneus longus to peroneus brevis and plantar fascia release. Yeah, it's a mouthful :)

Because I broke both knees several years ago, I'm unable to use a knee walker. So during my NWB time I'll be using a wheelchair to get around.

I'm really not even sure what questions to ask yet. I've been reading posts tonight, and learning. For now I'm just ready to say I'm here and hope I'll learn more about what to expect, recovery-wise, before my surgery date.

noevr 08-30-2012 09:26 PM

Re: Surgery scheduled for 9/18

well I"ve had the planter faciitia release and am so glad I had it done. Had it done a while ago w/ no problems. It relieved years of suffering. good luck! Cathy

SunniDay 08-30-2012 09:34 PM

Thanks so much, Cathy! The thought of no plantar fasciitis again is a pretty happy thought! I'm glad to hear yours turned out well. That's very encouraging :)

Denise

ginger62 08-31-2012 06:05 PM

I'm going to be about 2 weeks behind you (10/3) and Cinder is right behind me so let's all keep in touch, okay?

SunniDay 09-04-2012 09:47 AM

That would be great, Ginger! I've been out of touch for a few days because my son was hospitalized with pancreatitis. While I was there with him, I got some practice with a wheelchair. It was a very long walk from the entrance to the elevators. My husband also got practice pushing a wheelchair and thinking about what accessories will be necessary. Definitely a bag for the back or sides, and a drink holder. Seems like we often stopped for a diet coke on our way to his room. One time we were loaded down with 2 drinks, my purse, my bookbag, his laptop. A lot to carry, even though I took much of it in my lap. Glad I had the chance to try it out before bringing one home.

All of the walking in the hospital made me more confident that the surgery is the right thing to do. It was quite painful walking on a couple of days that I didn't use a chair. I'll remember the difficulty walking when I'm in post-surgery pain!

twohands 09-05-2012 01:07 AM

SunniDay,

It sure sounds like you're going to have quite the surgery, and I wish you the very best.

I'm having ankle surgery on Sept 20, so I'm right in the group of all of us having surgeries around the same time. We definitely will need to keep in touch about our experiences and progress.

Ginger62 and cinder, I wish you two the best with your surgeries also!

noevr 09-05-2012 09:04 AM

hi, ok with the wheelchair one thing make sure you don't lean too far forward in it reaching or something or you'll slide right out, I did it a couple of times right on my read end!

Hope you get an "Ice machine" for you foot after surgery helps w/ the sweling, looks like a little cooler w/ a hose coming out and then on the end of the hose is the thing you wrap around your foot to keep it cool. Someone will have to fill it w/ bagged ice about every 6 hours though, ice makers can't keep up.''

Make sure you get a grabber thingy to pick things up with off the floor. Do you have a shower chair yet? or I just bought a cheap 5 dollar plastic outdoor chair and it fit right in my shower.

Lots of books, movies, laptop and such. are you staying on one level of the house? Does that wheelchair fit thru the bathroom door? if not you can get a potty chair (I had one anyways for nighttime use). You will be real unstable for the first couple of weeks. try to keep a good shoe on the good foot for when you're getting up and having to pivot or even sometimes hop. It will save the bottom of that foot. Be careful not to twist the knee on the good leg too, that's easy to do.

that's all I can remember for now, Cathy

SunniDay 09-07-2012 07:05 PM

Thanks for the wheelchair tip, Cathy. I never thought about falling out. Man, that would hurt!

Is the ice machine something the hospital provides, or something I order myself? I'm not familiar with it, other than reading about it here. It sounds like a lifesaver.

I looked at the grabber things today, but didn't get one. I think I'll pick one up this weekend. I did get the shower chair already. I found one cheap at a local drugstore.

The wheelchair will fit through the bathroom door, but the bathroom is so small, there won't be room to maneuver a chair. I was thinking I'd keep crutches next to the bathroom door for when I go in. I'm not supposed to use crutches ~ I had a bilateral mastectomy in March, and am at risk for Lymphedema and also have Seromas under both arms. They're pretty painful. But for the minute it takes to get into the bathroom and to wash up, I think I can do it. I'll be using the small bathroom off our kitchen, which is quite small.

I will be staying on one floor. When I had H1N1 a few years ago we moved into the downstairs bedroom because I was too sick to go upstairs to our room. Then we decided to stay down here, since we'd moved all of our furniture down and gotten used to being on the main floor at night.
The only steps I'll have will be outside. There are 3 steps from our porch. I've been looking at portable ramps, since I'm not permanently disabled. My husband and younger son want to build one, but I think that's an awfully big project to get done with the time we have left. It was supposed to be started last weekend, but we spent all weekend at the hospital with my son. I think I'll just order a portable ramp online. They're pretty expensive, but I think it's our best solution.

Thanks again for all the ideas. If you think of any more, I'd love to hear them!

Denise

ginger62 09-08-2012 07:27 AM

Good luck with all your prep work, Sunni! Today is my day to order the knee scooter, wedge pillow etc. Please keep posting on what you find that comes in handy. I hope your son is doing well. Only 10 more days for you!

Iloverockmusic 09-08-2012 04:21 PM

[QUOTE=SunniDay;5050419]That would be great, Ginger! I've been out of touch for a few days because my son was hospitalized with pancreatitis. While I was there with him, I got some practice with a wheelchair. It was a very long walk from the entrance to the elevators. My husband also got practice pushing a wheelchair and thinking about what accessories will be necessary. Definitely a bag for the back or sides, and a drink holder. Seems like we often stopped for a diet coke on our way to his room. One time we were loaded down with 2 drinks, my purse, my bookbag, his laptop. A lot to carry, even though I took much of it in my lap. Glad I had the chance to try it out before bringing one home.

All of the walking in the hospital made me more confident that the surgery is the right thing to do. It was quite painful walking on a couple of days that I didn't use a chair. I'll remember the difficulty walking when I'm in post-surgery pain![/QUOTE]
How is your son doing? Sorry to hear about his recent bout with pancreatitis. I hope he is doing much better!!!
I'm glad you were able to take advantage of the wheelchair at the hospital...sometimes those walks...especially in a large hospital...can be a bit taxing!! The use of the wheelchair obviously gave you some much needed practice in negotiating it and your husband practice in pushing it.
It sounds like you are already thinking about needed accessories. Good thinking!!! Who would have thought about accessories like clip-on bags, a small place to put your purse, and a cup holder? But, these are definitely must-haves.
I don't know about you, but I always have to have something to drink at the mall, doctor's offices, and hospitals. It does make it much nicer to have those small accessories than to have hands tied down with cups, purses, and laptops.
I'm glad you had the opportunity to pause and reflect on your surgery. It was probably a good thing for you to reach that conclusion. I'm sure a year from now, you will be glad you chose to have surgery.

ginger62 09-11-2012 01:09 PM

Hey Sunni! I'm glad I got all my stuff ordered. The hospital called today and moved me up to 9/25! Keep me posted on how you're doing!

SunniDay 09-11-2012 09:10 PM

My son is doing quite a better, ILTB. Thanks for asking! He's still a little weak, and will probably put off job hunting for a few more days. He really wants to get out there, not working is driving him crazy. But he still tires easily, and isn't sleeping well. A few more days and I think he'll feel much better.

Tomorrow I'll order my wheelchair, and finalize my list of accessories. I found out today that my ins co will cover durable goods with a prescription from my doctor. His nurse said he'll write a prescription for a shower grab bar, bathroom (toilet) grab bar and couch cane. There are a couple of other things I'm still considering. Definitely the cup holder and a clip on bag.

One week from today is the day, and I'm a little nervous.

Denise

SunniDay 09-11-2012 09:18 PM

Do you feel ready, Ginger? I'm glad you got everything ordered. Do you know how long it will take to get it?

I talked to my surgeon's nurse today,and found out that he doesn't use the ice machine. That's kind of disappointing, but not the end of the world. She said that he tells patients to put ice behind their knee because it's hard for the cold to help through the splint and bandages. We'll see.

Pain is one of the things I'm concerned about. He is going the nerve block, and switched my surgery from an outpatient surgical center to a hospital, so I can spend a night if I need to for pain management. I'll be on Percocet when I get home. I've taken Vicodin in the past, but not Percocet. I hope it works well. When I had reconstructive surgery on my left wrist following a car accident several years ago, the first 24 hours were pretty unbearable, but after that the medication took the edge off.

The one other thing I'm concerned about is maneuvering with the chair. But I see plenty of other people doing it, and I figure if they can do it, so can I. I've always been pretty clumsy, but I'm sure I'll manage :)

A week from tonight I'll be recovering from surgery!

Denise

ginger62 09-12-2012 04:01 AM

Hey Denise! Heck no I'm not ready! But I do better under pressure and the new date works better for my friend who is using vacation time to travel with me. Here's a tip on ordering stuff....I ordered it all online from the usual shopping site (afraid to name it)and have gotten almost everything in about 3 days. I signed up for their Prime service. They have a 30 day free trial which includes free shipping on a lot of items. You can cancel after the trial period. It comes with lots of free movies and stuff that you may like while you're laid up. I got a knee scooter, cast cover, 2 stick on shower handles (probably only need one)' hand held shower head and a wedge pillow.

Good luck!! Keep me updated! P.S.My sis's name is Denise !

ginger62 09-12-2012 04:10 AM

As for Meds, personally Vicodin does nothing for me but give me a headache and make me hyper. Percocet usually is stronger (and I've heard that women respond better to it) . You may want to invest in a pill splitter from the pharmacy if you don't want to take a whole one sometimes.