It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2012, 03:49 PM   #1
(female)

BubbleGuppy HB UserBubbleGuppy HB User
No cast, no surgery. SO MAD.

This is NOT what I was told would happen AT ALL.

The doctor SPECIFICALLY said that if it wasn't bad enough for surgery, he WOULD cast me. Now? NO.

Now, I'm in the wimpiest freakin' brace ever because they WANT me to walk and do 3x a week for 6 weeks physical therapy.

No.

There's fluid in the joint and widely over stretched ligaments. I don't care if PT fixes that. I'm not walking because I feel like my foot might shrivel up and fall off whenever there's pressure on it.

They put me in this flimsy little brace, much like a compression sock, without the toes, and a figure 8 velcro thing. You are KIDDING ME if you think I am walking with that thing. I can't walk with a Swed-O brace on, let alone THAT.

I'm not ditching my boot. Nor my crutches.

WALK IT OFF, THEY SAY. WALK IT OFF.

No.

If that's what all it took to fix, then why the heck didn't he say that in the first place. I'm not doing the PT. I'm not getting on a freakin' wobble board, I'd break my neck. I don't have any balance as it is.''

THERE'S NOTHING TO FIX.

Yeah, well, there will be if PT doesn't fix it. Oh wait. I'm not doing it. SORRY.

I'm done.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-31-2012, 06:01 PM   #2
(female)

wants to walk HB Userwants to walk HB Userwants to walk HB Userwants to walk HB Userwants to walk HB Userwants to walk HB Userwants to walk HB Userwants to walk HB User
Re: No cast, no surgery. SO MAD.

I'm confused. You seem to have stated so many different things that you knew was wrong, deltoid, ligaments etc, first you KNEW you were having a bronstrom-gould, then you were having something else. (some of the dangers of online diagnosis)

You NEED to follow the Drs plan. Do physio. After not walking for over 3 months, of course you have lost movement, muscle strength. Otherwise you will NEVER get anywhere, in fact you will keep getting worse. You need to give it a try.

You didn't get what you wanted-cast or surgery so you refuse to listen to the doctor (whom you liked when you thought he was going to do what you wanted).

Last edited by wants to walk; 08-31-2012 at 06:03 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-31-2012, 06:29 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

That is odd. Last week he told you something quite different.

Try the PT. Do NOT allow them to push you into things that are unsafe or very painful to you, but do try it. Healing without surgery is better than having to undergo surgery.

Old 08-31-2012, 07:32 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

danabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB User

I don't know your full story, but i pick up that maybe your muscles have atrophied from lack of use and I know this can happen because I was wearing orthotics that caused this same problem in me. I had surgery a number of years ago and the surgeon referred me to a man to have inserts made. I also had some made by a very well respected podiatrist in the area and his were even worse. They actually put a golf ball on the bottom of one foot and never fit. I found a wonderful physical therapist who told me to get rid of any orthtics. I ditched them so fast it was not funny. My feet were very flat when I went to him and I could hardly walk due to weakness caused by orthotics. He has strengthened my muscles, made my toes straight and done wonders. My legs were weak from the hip down. If you are in the hands of a podiatrist, be very, very careful!!! Braces and orthotics and things like that many times are money makers for those people and I know some people will disagree, but I know what I am talking about! Now, I am not saying that no one should ever wear a brace, but I am saying that NO ONE should wear orthotics without expecting trouble down the road. I also don't know if I would stay with the man you are with because there seems to be some double talk. I was a tennis player for years, so had very, very strong legs and this all crept up on me.My advice to you is to get those muscles moving, if you can, even if it is very, very slowly. Good luck.

Old 08-31-2012, 08:53 PM   #5
(female)

Surgeon is sports medicine/foot ankle surgeon/podiatrist.

I don't see why any doctor would let you, or WANT you to, walk without support on your ankle with severely over stretched ligaments.

I'm not getting on a wobble board. I was on one once, for gym, and almost broke my wrist because I'm so unstable on wobbly stuff. With a crap ankle, I can't imagine it going at better.

My mum is no help. She's convinced that the surgeon is completely right and that I need to do whatever he says, but this seems to me like something isn't right here.

In all honesty, I WAS hoping for surgery, because I don't want the run around... AGAIN. If there's so much freakin' fluid in the joint, TAP IT, then fix my frickin ligaments, don't expect me to walk without something supporting my foot. Especially something that wouldn't support my GOOD ankle, let alone my crap one.

I'm so mad, I can't even tell you. I'm so fed up. Chop the stupid thing off at this point -___-

Old 08-31-2012, 09:08 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

danabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleGuppy View Post
Surgeon is sports medicine/foot ankle surgeon/podiatrist.
Are you insinuating that my ligaments were over stretched? If so, I must have come across the wrong way. My plantar facia, at the bottom of my foot was way too tight, which, in turn caused weakness all through the leg and hips. Supports cause the muscles to rely on those things; hence, they become weak while the plantar facia becomes very very tight.

If I didn't tell you, my ankles have been weak for years and I truly thought it was an inherited thing. If the muscles in ones feet and legs are not working correctly, it will cause the ankles to become weak and that, in turn, will throw your whole body off balance due to an incorrect walk. It even caused swelling in my feet.Believe me, I had to learn all of this the hard way.

You don't have to get on a board, if you don't feel comfortable. One of the best ways to make your ankles stronger is to walk up and down stairs numerous times. It does wonders!! Stretch a little before and then do it.

I would not let anyone cut into my feet if I were you and I have had two surgeries. As I look back, one of them where both feet were operated on for bunions and hammer toes was not necessary.

I don't see why any doctor would let you, or WANT you to, walk without support on your ankle with severely over stretched ligaments.

I'm not getting on a wobble board. I was on one once, for gym, and almost broke my wrist because I'm so unstable on wobbly stuff. With a crap ankle, I can't imagine it going at better.

My mum is no help. She's convinced that the surgeon is completely right and that I need to do whatever he says, but this seems to me like something isn't right here.

In all honesty, I WAS hoping for surgery, because I don't want the run around... AGAIN. If there's so much freakin' fluid in the joint, TAP IT, then fix my frickin ligaments, don't expect me to walk without something supporting my foot. Especially something that wouldn't support my GOOD ankle, let alone my crap one.

I'm so mad, I can't even tell you. I'm so fed up. Chop the stupid thing off at this point -___-

Old 08-31-2012, 09:34 PM   #7
(female)

Oh, no, I was talking about *my* ankle!

And the thing is, the surgeon SAID that he was going to re-situation the bones in my foot, as they spread out when pressure is applied... now there's fluid in my joint?!

Watch that fluid turn out to be a massive frickin tumor or something. That'd be just my luck. .-. Doesn't necessarily have to be cancerous, but y'know.

Stairs would KILL ME. I can barely hobble, let alone go up and/or down stairs.

Old 08-31-2012, 09:37 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Oh, no, I was talking about *my* ankle!

And the thing is, the surgeon SAID that he was going to re-situation the bones in my foot, as they spread out when pressure is applied... now there's fluid in my joint?!

Watch that fluid turn out to be a massive frickin tumor or something. That'd be just my luck. .-. Doesn't necessarily have to be cancerous, but y'know.

Stairs would KILL ME. I can barely hobble, let alone go up and/or down stairs.
As I told you, I had fluid and still do have some and it was all due to the walk being thrown off. I also know that if one's walk is off, it will cause all sorts of problems.

Old 08-31-2012, 09:50 PM   #9
(female)

Fixing the fluid won't fix my ligaments.

After 5 months, I can bet you almost anything that they aren't gonna heal on their own LOL.

No amount of PT, aggressive or not, is gonna help that. When your leg bones spread apart after an untreated injury for 5 months, they probably aren't gonna heal.

So, this is probably how it's gonna go.

PT, which I probably am not evne going to do .-.
moar PT
boot
EH, MORE PT
Cast
MORE PT
MORE PT
MORE PT
cast again
PT
maybe surgery

PROBABLY 5 YEARS LATER IT WON'T EVEN BE SALVAGEABLE :l

Omg I am just so frickin fed up with all of it. Why couldn't the stupid thing have just BROKEN.

Old 09-05-2012, 10:56 AM   #10
(female)

Iloverockmusic HB UserIloverockmusic HB User

Quote:
Fixing the fluid won't fix my ligaments.

After 5 months, I can bet you almost anything that they aren't gonna heal on their own LOL.

No amount of PT, aggressive or not, is gonna help that. When your leg bones spread apart after an untreated injury for 5 months, they probably aren't gonna heal.

So, this is probably how it's gonna go.

PT, which I probably am not evne going to do .-.
moar PT
boot
EH, MORE PT
Cast
MORE PT
MORE PT
MORE PT
cast again
PT
maybe surgery

PROBABLY 5 YEARS LATER IT WON'T EVEN BE SALVAGEABLE :l

Omg I am just so frickin fed up with all of it. Why couldn't the stupid thing have just BROKEN.
I don't mean to burst your bubble, but I believe I would take a sprain, torn ligaments, etc. over a fractured-dislocated talus!!!! In my situation, the neck of the talus was fractured and dislocated, the body of the talus moved out of its socket posteriorly, locked into the heel, my subtalar joint was dislocated, my neurovascular bundle was compromised, no blood supply, nerves were torn, and my toes were curled under. My prognosis was quite poor with a 70% chance that my talus would collapse!!!! My orthopedist performed an ORIF surgery. He had trouble with getting everything in position and was getting ready to get his saw out and he had it in his hand, but he decided to try again...when he tried one last time...his last trial worked!!!!! He said the surgery was the most difficult that he had to perform in quite some time...it was worse than a compound fracture repair surgery...or so he said. Everytime I go back to him, he says that he is amazed that it has NOT collapsed yet. He tells me that mine would be the most likely to collapse.
I was in a cast for three months, in a boot for two months, and then on crutches for about a week or so after the boot came off. I continue to see my orthopedist about every year for a follow-up. He has discussed, in earnest, fusion surgery but I don't know which joint he wants to fuse.
So, while I am not saying that your problem has not been traumatic or life-altering, a fractured-dislocated talus is truly a life-changing experience. You are left with MULTIPLE residual effects that are disabling, crippling, and life-changing. I can no longer run or jump walk on uneven surfaces like ramps, dirt, gravel, and sand, I can no longer stand or walk for long periods without experiencing residual effects, I walk with my foot externally rotated 90 degrees, when I walk on uneven surfaces and ramps, I walk like Herman Monster or Frankenstein. Small children will stop and stare at my gait. And this has been after 12 years post-op!!!!! I am not saying this to have a pity party, I am merely bringing this up so you know that things could be worse!!!!
You cannot give up and throw in the towel!!! You have to come at this with an optimistic perspective...if you don't, you will NEVER get any better. You have to be thankful for what you are left with instead of longing for what you once had. Remember the saying, "When life gives you lemons, you make lemonade!" If you choose to have an attitude of self-pity, have your woe is me mentality, or long for the good ol' days instead of accepting what you have been given...no one will want to be around you!!!! Who wants to be around someone with such negativity, self-pity, and woe is me attitude?
Do what your doctor is suggesting or get a second opinion!!!!!
Hope this helps you gain some perspective!!!!!

Old 09-05-2012, 05:09 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

twohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB User

BubbleGuppy,

You were told that your treatment plan would go one way, and now your doctor has taken you on a different and unexpected course. I can certainly understand and feel your frustration about this.

I've been through a number of surgeries and worked with a number of doctors, and unfortunately I've found that this same scenario has happened to me a number of times. Have I been frustrated when this has happened to me? You better believe I have. However, the only one who suffers when you get down about it is yourself.

I've learned that the best thing to do when dealing with your health is to find a doctor you can communicate well with and get along with, and stick with that doctor and follow their advice. This doesn't mean you're going to like their advice every time, but there's comes a point where you have to trust the experience and knowledge they have and follow their orders.

You're welcome to vent to us here as much as you want and we'll listen, but I think just about every one of us will tell you that you should give following his orders a try. If you have severe pain or problems, then be sure to openly communicate with your doctor about the problems you're having. If you don't at least try, then you're at risk of this doctor no longer wanting to help you, and where does that put you?

A lot of us want surgery as we view it as something we're doing to try to fix the situation, but the reality is that surgery carries with it great risks that can put you in worse shape. The fact that he's trying to handle your care without surgery is probably a good thing, even though it means you may not get the quick fix that you mentally are looking for right now.

We'll be with you every painful step of the way! **Hugs**

Old 09-05-2012, 05:40 PM   #12
(female)

Iloverockmusic HB UserIloverockmusic HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by twohands View Post
BubbleGuppy,

You were told that your treatment plan would go one way, and now your doctor has taken you on a different and unexpected course. I can certainly understand and feel your frustration about this.

I've been through a number of surgeries and worked with a number of doctors, and unfortunately I've found that this same scenario has happened to me a number of times. Have I been frustrated when this has happened to me? You better believe I have. However, the only one who suffers when you get down about it is yourself.

I've learned that the best thing to do when dealing with your health is to find a doctor you can communicate well with and get along with, and stick with that doctor and follow their advice. This doesn't mean you're going to like their advice every time, but there's comes a point where you have to trust the experience and knowledge they have and follow their orders.

You're welcome to vent to us here as much as you want and we'll listen, but I think just about every one of us will tell you that you should give following his orders a try. If you have severe pain or problems, then be sure to openly communicate with your doctor about the problems you're having. If you don't at least try, then you're at risk of this doctor no longer wanting to help you, and where does that put you?

A lot of us want surgery as we view it as something we're doing to try to fix the situation, but the reality is that surgery carries with it great risks that can put you in worse shape. The fact that he's trying to handle your care without surgery is probably a good thing, even though it means you may not get the quick fix that you mentally are looking for right now.

We'll be with you every painful step of the way! **Hugs**
You've explained it very well!!!! Sometimes new treatments, medical devices, and surgical procedures come down the pike. Also, with new research comes new warnings about previously used treatments, medical devices, and surgical procedures. What was once the "gold standard" could now be deemed detrimental. So, the doctor learns about these warnings and follows a different course. Also, the surgeon may find a less invasive procedure or a non-invasive medical treatment that will work just as well, but requires no surgery...perhaps a drug or physical/occupational therapy.

You are right about finding a doctor with whom you have established rapport. If you are able to find the right doctor, who is knowledgeable, will work with you, and the rapport is great, you should stick with him/her. You are also correct when you state that you may not always like what they have to say, their advice, or their treatment plan that they have implemented. However, if their goals and objectives are the same as yours, you have indeed found the right doctor. It is important to follow their directives to the letter...even if you don't agree.

I hope BubbleGuppy does not get too discouraged and/or decides to just give up!!!! If he/she does not follow the doctor's orders, his/her condition will never improve. It is also imperative that he/she have a POSITIVE attitude!!!! By the sound of his/her comment he/she does not have a positive attitude.

I have heard of doctors who will refuse to treat someone if the patient will not follow their orders. They have to worry about pending litigation if the end result is poor.

I think we all want a quick fix...most people are quite impatient. However, when you are dealing with your health, it is important that getting it right comes before getting a quick fix.

Like you said, surgeries do not result in perfection. Sometimes complications arise and the end result is not what you expected. Sometimes the medical condition is made worse by surgery.

I do wish the best for BubbleGuppy!!!!!

Old 09-14-2012, 12:55 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

LadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB User

Bubble Guppy,
Have you ever considered getting a second opinion if you're not happy with the feed back from your present doctor. I am coming off of fusion surgery and believe me that it is not fun or a quick fix. I went through every non-surgical procedure to prevent having surgery. I had injections, physical therapy, the same brace that you describe, anti inflammatory medications, etc....none helped. I started seeing the doctor in August of 2011 and gave it until April of 2012 to have anything done. I for one know that it is frustrating as hell but if he orders you into PT it is for a reason. It is important to strengthen the muscles around your weakness to provide better support and to retrain your foot. When muscles are left still for too long, they atrophy and become virtually worthless. Hop on this chance to get some PT in and I hope that it helps!!

Old 09-15-2012, 12:51 PM   #14
(female)

loki2012 HB Userloki2012 HB User

Bubble guppy, I went 8 months on a torn ligament and crushed bone in my ankle before I had surgery. I had to endure PT bc the dr was trying conservative measures bc most of the time it heals w/o surgery, that's prolly what ur dr is doing. Do what ur dr says n on ur next appt let them know u feel it's not getting any better.

Closed Thread