It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2012, 02:36 PM   #1
(female)

Iloverockmusic HB UserIloverockmusic HB User
fractured-dislocated talus

Hey, sounds like you have been through a great deal more than me!! I fractured my right talus in an auto accident in August of 2000. The floorboard was even with the dashboard. My foot was firmly placed against the brake pedal as we were going to hit several trees-I swatted at a spider in the car. It was through this that my talus was broken/dislocated. The posterior part of the talus (body?) dislocated and locked into my heel. I also dislocated my subtalar joint. My toes were curled under when it happened. Never seen anything like it. In a cast until October, then a boot until December. Until the boot came off, I was unable to put any weight on it-as best I can remember.
While my experience was not a pleasant one, it certainly pales in comparison to yours!!! Never did the one crutch thing...although I have had brachial plexus palsy since birth...weighed 12.5 pounds at birth. So, the doctor broke my arm to deliver me and as a result of tugging, I have brachial plexus palsy. It was difficult to maneuver crutches with the arm injury so I can certainly empathize/sympathize with you.
I have been seeing my orthopedist since 2000 for follow ups, evaluations, and consultations. My next one is in April 2013. He has talked about fusion but not sure which type of fusion that he would like to do. My right foot is rotated outwards, it's hard to turn corners, walk on uneven ground/gravel/ramps, and I walk on the outer side of my foot...as a result, I occasionally have calluses.
When walking, my foot will have a stubbing or stabbing sensation that will take my breath away. It gets stiff after resting and hurts especially at night or if I am on it a lot.
Don't know if you or anyone else has experienced anything like this...would appreciate any responses. Thanks in advance!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-05-2012, 05:17 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Zerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB User
Re: fractured-dislocated talus

I broke my calcaneous at the same time I broke my talus, in auto accident too. I can do uneven surfaces, a bit. I wear lace up boots for support though. Pain does come with use.

So has your pain and problems been the same since recovery or gotten worse?

Old 09-05-2012, 08:46 AM   #3
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerk View Post
I broke my calcaneous at the same time I broke my talus, in auto accident too. I can do uneven surfaces, a bit. I wear lace up boots for support though. Pain does come with use.

So has your pain and problems been the same since recovery or gotten worse?
Wow!!! A broken calcaneous and broken talus at the same time-ouch!!!! While the pain was unbearable at the time, it probably paled in comparison to yours!!! I remember going through Lortabs like they were Pez pellets.

Gravel, sand, rocks, and ramps are very hard for me, too...I look like Herman Monster or Frankenstein when I walk up and down ramps or on these surfaces-HA!!!! Never have used lace-up boots usually Asics are the shoes that I wear. Do boots help you more than say, tennis shoes?

Like you, I do have pain with use...and after sitting for a few minutes, it is quite stiff. Often it will feel as if I have stubbed my toe only it is the top part and the side of the foot that gets this sensation. It will cause a sharp pain that can take away my breath!!!

It's been 12 years since my auto accident. While I have fractured other bones without any difficulty after recovery, the talus must be a "bird of a different feather." They don't heal without residual negative effects. Probably it would have healed nicely if a person has a simple break, one without any dislocation, or one that did not involve other bones or joints. From what I have read, that seldom happens.

My prognosis, in the ER, was that it had a 70% chance of collapse!!! So, I guess with that said, to be able to walk and having no major problems 12 years later, I am truly blessed and very lucky. I still see my orthopedist...have an appointment with him in April. My gait is certainly not what it was, cannot jump, do tippy-toes, run, skip, or anything like that. But, at least I can walk and go from point A to point B!!!!!! I do limp and it is more noticeable if I have been on it all day or when I am bare or sock-footed.

The pain is so much better than it was after the surgery and a few months afterward. The problems that I have encountered post-op are: pain when I am on it for several hours, walking on the lateral side of my right foot, calluses on my little toe, walking with my right foot externally rotated about 90 degrees, walking on uneven surfaces/ramps/gravel/sand, these stabbing or stubbing sensations, and stiffness.

Enough about my recovery and problems...how has your recovery been? Have you experienced any of the above problems?

Hope this helps!!!!!

Old 09-05-2012, 03:36 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Zerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB User

Ya I find boots a lot better, I rarely go outside of the house with shoes on. I also limit the walking in the house without shoes. I usually wear slip on shoes.

This is a life changing event, and you need to change your life to make the most of it.

I can't do a calf raise with that foot. Which is a bummer, something you normally just do. Though I have gotten most of the muscle back, so my leg doesn't look scrawny.

I limp more when I don't think about it or when I don't try to walk to normal, and when tired.

Last edited by Administrator; 09-16-2012 at 06:44 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to Zerk For This Useful Post:
Iloverockmusic (09-05-2012)
Old 09-05-2012, 03:41 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Standing is hard, so I try to sit when I can. I just walk over and sit. I carry folding chair for work, though alot of the guys I work with will carry a chair. We travel from job site to job site.

Festivals and big box stores are hard too. I think lack of sitting, and walking fast. Moving fast is worse, such as pacing, running back and forth in room, simple things like cleaning house.

I do take more breaks. It is a good excuse to sit down. It takes me longer to do things. If I am working on something at home, I'll put my feet up in my recliner and surf the web. Though I probably abuse this.

You need to be easier on yourself when you can, so you can be harder on yourself later.

Old 09-05-2012, 03:44 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

I untuck the sheets or blanket so they are loose on my foot. I learned this when I had the boot on. I think it helps.

Old 09-05-2012, 04:49 PM   #7
(female)

Talking Re: fractured-dislocated talus

Quote:
Ya I find boots a lot better, I rarely go outside of the house with shoes on. I also limit the walking in the house without shoes. I usually wear slip on shoes.

This is a life changing event, and you need to change your life to make the most of it.

I can't do a calf raise with that foot. Which is a bummer, something you normally just do. Though I have gotten most of the muscle back, so my leg doesn't look scrawny.

I limp more when I don't think about it or when I don't try to walk to normal, and when tired.
You are right, it certainly is a life changing event. When it happened and I was whisked off to surgery from the ER, I guess I was thinking that within a year, my foot would be back to normal.

May I ask you where you purchased your boots? Are they more like work boots? Like you, I cannot do a calf raise either with that foot. Turning corners is very difficult.

I love your comment at the end about not having to help anyone move anymore Sounds like you have a great attitude!!!!

Old 09-05-2012, 04:51 PM   #8
(female)

Quote:
I untuck the sheets or blanket so they are loose on my foot. I learned this when I had the boot on. I think it helps.
I've never liked my sheets tucked in while sleeping. It always seemed too confining and too difficult to toss and turn!!! It would make it more difficult for you.

Old 09-06-2012, 04:57 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

I have spent lots of money on boots. I do have work boot style boots. But for after work I wear what is called tactical or sport tactical. Black 8" lace up, like cop or military boot. I like Magnum and Bates, some Danners.` Some of these are like a black tennis shoe, that is just taller.

I started out with 6", when my foot was weaker, it was hard to wear boots. I wore tennis shoes during my recovery. But then as I got stronger and was doing more, I found the 8" better for uneven ground.

I realize women don't want to wear boots. But if you wear then with pants, they look ok. Though I wear them with shorts, and probably look a little odd.

Around the house I like Merril slip on Olmecs.

The Following User Says Thank You to Zerk For This Useful Post:
Iloverockmusic (09-06-2012)
Closed Thread