It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2012, 09:04 AM   #1
(female)

SunniDay HB UserSunniDay HB User
Question Activity first weeks after surgery?

My surgery is 2 weeks from today. The first 2 weeks I have to keep my foot elevated higher than my heart. The activities I plan to do are just reading and knitting. I think I can manage reading (book or tablet) while lying down, but I'm not sure about knitting. Have any of you knit while flat on your back? Do you have any tips? I plan to work on small, lightweight projects. If I'm unable to do anything besides read, I think I'll be stir crazy. I'm not much of a tv watcher.

Thanks!

The following user gives a hug of support to SunniDay:
Iloverockmusic (09-05-2012)
Old 09-04-2012, 01:12 PM   #2
(female)

prico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB User
Re: Activity first weeks after surgery?

My surgery was 8/25. I have been in bed with elevation abd ice since then. I have been reading and playing some word games also watching tv. I want to do some small knitting and crochet projects but I have been pretty uncomfortable and hardly motivated enough plus you will be medicated and might make too many mistakes at least the first 2weeks. I am just starting to get cleared up mentally to do all yhe little projects I had prepared in advance. What are you having done?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-04-2012, 02:03 PM   #3
(female)

Tlrgrills HB UserTlrgrills HB UserTlrgrills HB User

I'm usually a big reader. Im not too big on TV. But during the first two weeks after my surgery my brain could only handle silly movies and tv shows on Netflix.

Old 09-04-2012, 06:40 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Northwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB User

When I had foot surgery, I found I was watching TV online for the first couple of weeks. That and sleeping. I had gathered a pile of books, but didn't feel like reading. I'm not sure why that was exactly, but mindless online TV was easier to manage. I have a love seat that I could use. I would sit with my neck and back supported by one end, and my foot elevated on the other. That would have been a good position to knit, if I were a knitter. If I were to go through foot surgery again, I'd have a recliner chair for the recovery time. That would totally be a knitting position, I imagine.

Old 09-04-2012, 11:47 PM   #5
(female)

prico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB User

I have a brand new recliner that I have next to my bedroom window. I have only spent a few minutes at a time sitting in it. Once I have my splint off (thurs) I plan on using it a lot more and probably will start some projects. I think the bottom line is the first two weeks we cant do much but lay here and watch mindless tv. I have watced so many reaity shows it is gross. Plan on two weeks of nothing then (I hope) things begin to pick up.

Old 09-05-2012, 04:10 PM   #6
(female)

Iloverockmusic HB UserIloverockmusic HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunniDay View Post
My surgery is 2 weeks from today. The first 2 weeks I have to keep my foot elevated higher than my heart. The activities I plan to do are just reading and knitting. I think I can manage reading (book or tablet) while lying down, but I'm not sure about knitting. Have any of you knit while flat on your back? Do you have any tips? I plan to work on small, lightweight projects. If I'm unable to do anything besides read, I think I'll be stir crazy. I'm not much of a tv watcher.

Thanks!
I'm quite clumsy myself so knitting while lying in bed or on the couch would be an accident waiting to happen for me. Unlike you, I watch television quite a bit.

Since subsequent fusion surgery is a possiblity for me, I plan to purchase an iPod or iPad and ******** interesting apps, e-books, and movies. I also love The Beatles. So, I will probably ******** their songs/videos. This would help eleviate boredom at home and while waiting in the doctor's office.

Perhaps if you have time, you could catch up with your friends and call them. This could help you. It not only prevents boredom, but it helps you emotionally and mentally. Once your restrictions are more relaxed and you don't have to elevate your leg/foot as much, maybe you could invest in some crossword/jigsaw puzzles. I've always enjoyed doing them. Coloring and paint-by-number have always been favorite activities of mine...even as an adult.

When I fractured and dislocated my talar neck/body, I had a six-month old at the time. So, while I was trying to recuperate, my child had to take precedence. It definitely kept boredom at bay!!! However, it was very difficult!!!! It's hard to imagine how I made it...but, I did. My mother and most of my in-laws were great...husband and father-in-law, not so much!!!!

My father-in-law thought that I was using my broken foot as an excuse to sit around on the couch and NOT take care of my child's needs (i.e. diapering, bathing, etc.). While I would feed him and diaper him if they brought me the needed supplies, I could not keep myself upright on crutches and carry him from one room to another. So, getting up in the middle of the night, take him into another room so as not to wake my husband or anyone else, was not a possibility. Someone would have to get up with me, bring him to me, and stay up with me until my son had gone to sleep so they could place him back in his crib.

It was during the Summer Olympics in 2000 and I was less than four weeks post-op. There was a diver who had broken her foot less than a year before the Olympics. She was competing and my father-in-law famously said, "See, she can do it, why can't you?!!" I was completely shocked and furious because I knew what he was trying to suggest. The next day, my husband, who never went to ANY doctor's appointments with me, decided to go. To eliminate further insinuations of laziness, I asked my orthopedist point blank about putting weight on it, and he emphatically told my husband and me, "NO!!!" and explained to us that it would collapse and crumble if I did. This shut him and my father-in-law up!!!!

May I ask, what kind of operation are you having? Mine was an ORIF for a fractured and dislocated talar neck and body.

Hope my suggestions regarding activities during your recovery period have helped!!!! Good luck with your surgery and recovery!!!!!

Old 09-05-2012, 05:10 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Northwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB User

you make a good point about getting caught up with friends. I had a friend who said she would come and visit but she ended up not being able to do that. If I were to have to go through something like that again, I would arrange for visitors to come to see me. I got so bored and felt isolated. A couple of visits during the two weeks would have been good. Heck, even if someone had come and picked me up and had taken me somewhere else to visit, that would have been great. As long as I could elevate my foot, I'd have been okay.

Last edited by Administrator; 09-16-2012 at 08:13 PM.

The following user gives a hug of support to Northwind:
Iloverockmusic (09-05-2012)
Old 09-05-2012, 05:36 PM   #8
(female)

I agree...a person can feel a bit isolated during recovery time, especially if you are a people person. I don't think people visit each other like they used to. Perhaps a more hectic schedule, children and family take precedence (which they should), or their work schedule. But, visits by family and friends is SO beneficial!!! It keeps you from being bored, lifts your spirits, and is good for your mental health.

Like you said, getting out of the house is also important and beneficial. I enjoyed the frequent doctor's appointments because that meant that I would be out and about. Having a broken right foot makes driving impossible.

Sounds like you are recovering nicely. Wish you the best of luck!!!! Hopefully, you are done with any future surgeries. Hopefully, you will have more visitors to help alleviate any boredom and isolation that you may feel.

Keep us posted!!!

Old 09-05-2012, 06:20 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

My surgery was three years ago. My foot is awesome, in fact, last summer I walked in a 2 day, 60 kilometre walk for cancer. I would not have been able to do that pre-surgery!

Old 09-06-2012, 04:12 PM   #10
(female)

Sounds like you are doing great!!! I wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors!!!

Old 09-07-2012, 05:51 PM   #11
(female)

SunniDay HB UserSunniDay HB User

Sorry I didn't reply sooner. My son just got out of the hospital after being in unexpectedly for several days for pancreatitis.

The procedures I'm having are "right gastroc recession and dorsiflexion osteotomy midfoot fusion and tarsometatarsal first, second and third, lateral displacing calcaneal, peroneus longus to peroneus brevis and plantar fascia release."
It seems like there should be some more commas in there, but that's directly from the paperwork I got, punctuation and all.

So it sounds like I'll become a tv watcher. I hadn't thought about pain drugs effecting my ability to think and concentrate. It does makes sense, just hadn't occurred to me. Looks like I'll have to put off knitting for the first couple of weeks.

I like the idea of putting some new apps on my phone, picking up some crossword puzzles, catching up with some friends. My son just brought a giant box of DVDs, all less than a year old. So I'll have tons of movies to watch. Our tastes aren't always similar in movies, but I saw some in there that I've wanted to see. I imagine I'll do some sleeping, too.

My biggest concern is my animals. I have 3 large dogs and 2 cats. The dogs eat 3 times a day, and are used to going outside about every 90 minutes. My husband will take 2 days off when I have surgery, and then my sons have said they'll help me the first couple of weeks. My oldest son has his own business, so he can make time when he needs to. My younger son recently lost his job and is moving back here to look for work. So he has some free time now. I've explained that for the first two weeks I'll need someone with me all the time, mostly to let the animals out and feed them. I don't think they realize how much help I'll need at first. They'll know soon enough

Thanks for your suggestions. They're very helpful. Tomorrow I'm hoping to order the wheelchair and move some furniture around. Suddenly 1 week from Tuesday doesn't seem very far away!

The following user gives a hug of support to SunniDay:
Iloverockmusic (09-08-2012)
Old 09-08-2012, 06:05 AM   #12
(female)

Tlrgrills HB UserTlrgrills HB UserTlrgrills HB User

I learned a lot about my friends during the first two weeks after my surgery. I felt very let down during a time when I needed emotional support. Even a phone call would have been nice. However, I also Learned the depth of how wonderful and caring my husband is. My two daughters (14 and 10) really stepped up to the plate and my sister called me every day. She would have been here if she could but she has 2 toddlers.

Anyway, I've gone on a bit. Let your friends know that even a friendly phone call could go a long way!

Last edited by Administrator; 09-16-2012 at 08:14 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to Tlrgrills For This Useful Post:
prico54 (09-08-2012)
Old 09-08-2012, 03:44 PM   #13
(female)

Wow!!! That sounds like one long, complicated surgery. You're right, you probably will be on some pain meds for quite some time. So, knitting may not be something that you will be able to do immediately following surgery. By the sound of it, you will become an avid television watcher. You will probably catch up on any sleep that you have been missing.

I can see where you are definitely going to need some help...especially with the animals. I love dogs and they are great companions, but they do require a great deal of work. So, you will definitely need some help taking them outside, walking them, and feeding them. Glad to know that you have some great sons and a great husband!!!

Good luck to you and your family. Please keep us posted!!!

Last edited by Administrator; 09-16-2012 at 08:14 PM.

Old 09-08-2012, 03:50 PM   #14
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlrgrills View Post
I learned a lot about my friends during the first two weeks after my surgery. I felt very let down during a time when I needed emotional support. Even a phone call would have been nice. However, I also Learned the depth of how wonderful and caring my husband is. My two daughters (14 and 10) really stepped up to the plate and my sister called me every day. She would have been here if she could but she has 2 toddlers.

Anyway, I've gone on a bit. Let your friends know that even a friendly phone call could go a long way!
Yes, you certainly find out about your friends...or should I call them "Fair Weather Friends." You do feel a bit let down especially if you have always been there for them.

You're right, a phone call DOES go a long way!! I know that there are certain situations where they cannot come by to see you (children, family, and work). However, it doesn't take any effort at all (no gas, no transportation, and no babysitters) to call and check on you.

Sounds like you have a great husband, great children, and a great sister. Even though your sister has two toddlers, she still takes the time to call you.

Old 09-09-2012, 09:21 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlrgrills View Post

I felt this too. My husband works a couple of blocks down the road, so I didn't mind him heading off to work. I was sleeping a lot anyway. He made it clear that he would come home if beckoned, and he popped in regularly. One time he happened to come home just as I was trying to figure out how to get the soup that was simmering on the stove......perfect timing.

As for my friends, I think the fact that I have a reputation of being self-reliant and independent was a factor in their not coming around. It is really important to ask for help and reach out so they do know help is needed and appreciated. I would have loved it if someone had even come around for a cup of tea. They are not mind readers, so I have to ask.

Closed Thread

Tags
recovery period