It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2012, 06:49 AM   #1
(female)

ljturner HB Userljturner HB Userljturner HB Userljturner HB User
PTTD surgery four month mark - VERY discouraged

Hi All,

I had PTTD surgery on May 16, and was told I could start wearing a shoe on 8/24. I have been wearing a New Balance sneaker, but I am finding that it is very painful on the achilles tendon - it hits one of the notches there, and it puts a lot of pressure on the oestomy site as well. So the other day I had a job interview, and I wore a pair of Merrils that I have which are very light (mesh material) without much support. I had to walk more than usual and was walking with other people trying my best to keep up. That night I was more sore than usual. Yesterday I went back to the NB sneakers, and ended up having to carry some heavy stuff up and down some stairs, and in and out to my car, and last night I was hurting really badly, and I am today as well.

I guess I am wondering if there is a better shoe option - I went to the shoe store but got nowhere fast, very frustrating and after trying to put a few different shoes on I gave up...but if there's something out there that I should try I will.

Also wondering about the pain I am in, I am trying to think positively about it and remind myself that the first few weeks of PWB>>FWB were rough, but I wonder if I am even being realistic to think that it should be gradually improving on the same time frame. I am once again feeling like there is so much less I can do than even when I was in the boot.

I have a script for PT but haven't started, I know I need to but I am procrastinating. In the meantime I try to do ROM exercises that I learned before and stretches. Most of the pain is on the outer edge of the foot and the achilles.

I have begun to take pain meds again, usually when I get home from work. Today I went in to the office but had to leave as the pain was too much. I don't want to be taking meds but right now it is necessary.

If anyone has some encouraging words or shoe advice, it's really appreciated...thanks!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-07-2012, 08:59 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

twohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB User
Re: PTTD surgery four month mark - VERY discouraged

Sorry to hear you're having such continued problems with your foot/ankle. It really can be frustrating to have limitations like that.

I have been wearing Propet shoes for years now. They were originally designed as orthotic shoes, but now have some very stylish shoes of all types and still have the orthotic soles in them. Most of them cost $50-$100, but it is well worth the price. A lot of podiatrists recommend this brand of shoes to their patients.

There are many online shoe stores who have free shipping to you, and if they don't fit they will pay the return shipping and give you a full refund. I have found the online shoe stores have lower prices in general than the storefront stores.

The following user gives a hug of support to twohands:
prico54 (09-08-2012)
Old 09-07-2012, 02:49 PM   #3
(female)

swimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB User

I swear by Danskos from the Walking Company. Great arch support, $50-150 range. I didn't totally lose the boot myself till after 5 months since my job involves a lot of standing & walking, but a bit over a year later now and I'm doing great. Keep the faith, better days are ahead.
Bunnie

Old 09-07-2012, 03:20 PM   #4
(female)

swimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB Userswimbunnie HB User

I swear by Danskos from the Walking Company. Great arch support, $50-150 range. I didn't totally lose the boot myself till after 5 months since my job involves a lot of standing & walking, but a bit over a year later now and I'm doing great. Keep the faith, better days are ahead.
Bunnie

Old 09-07-2012, 06:15 PM   #5
(female)

marble94 HB Usermarble94 HB Usermarble94 HB User

I am 5 months post op. my foot still swells pretty bad by the end of the day on the outside of the ankle. The tenderness is getting less though. I did PT and it helped a lot, I still do excersises at home. I am wearing a pair of Brooks Dyad 7 shoes. They are a bit wider and comfortable. I also have a pair of custom orthotics.

Wishing you quick healing, keep in mind, total healing time can take up to a year.

Old 09-08-2012, 05:50 AM   #6
(female)

Tlrgrills HB UserTlrgrills HB UserTlrgrills HB User

I've recently gone to FWB. My surgery was different from yours. I had to get a newvpairbof shoes as well. My foot is still swollen and just won't fit comfortably into my old shoes.

I got K-Swiss tube technology sneakers. They seemed to be wider and they are on sale at Finishline.

Good luck!!!

Old 09-08-2012, 09:53 AM   #7
(male)

posttibtend HB User

This surgery is tough, no doubt about it. I'm 5 months out now. I have worn a pair of 7 inch high Asolo hiking boots every day for the last month. I'm a man so this has been easy to get away with. The boots really have supported my ankles and arches. I found that at 4 months I still felt a lot of tenderness in the new "double PTT tendons" that my Dr. reconstructed and I used the air cast boot until then.

The PT has also helped immensely. I'm diligent and do it almost everyday (except when it hurts and then I back off a day). I would strongly suggest the PT (going once or twice a week and then doing it as prescribed at home). I think it is essential and I feel stronger every week. If you can swim daily, that is the best therapy-I personally do not have access to a pool this often but I wish I did.

Unfortunately, with my specific surgery procedures (medial displacement calcaneal osteotomy and lateral columun lengthening), the Dr. seems to have over corrected the foot and now I walk with a lot of pressure on the outside of my forefoot on the fifth metatarsal. After about 5-10 minutes of walking, I experience pain along this bone and all the way up the lateral side (outside) of the ankle. This is a new pain and very unlikely to go away-per a few second opinions I've had. I will probably need a revision of the boney procedures mentioned above.

I hope you heal well and find some comfort. My tendons and muscles really seem to be healing well and recovering at 5 months. Ask your Doctor if you feel you are really regressing for a long period of time (like three weeks to a month). The recovery from this surgery has many many ups and downs.

Goodluck!

Old 09-09-2012, 09:11 AM   #8
(female)

Bajada HB User

Sorry you are having such a tough time.

Echo the recommendation to do the PT. My dr. prescribed 3x/week for 4 weeks at least with possible addition of 2-4 weeks. After the first week can already feel increased flexibility. While there is increased pain, I think it for a good reason. The therapist also spends a lot of time helping me understand how everything works together - really worthwhile and I think will give me a much better result in the end. Good luck!

Old 09-09-2012, 10:20 AM   #9
(female)

prico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bajada View Post
Sorry you are having such a tough time.

Echo the recommendation to do the PT. My dr. prescribed 3x/week for 4 weeks at least with possible addition of 2-4 weeks. After the first week can already feel increased flexibility. While there is increased pain, I think it for a good reason. The therapist also spends a lot of time helping me understand how everything works together - really worthwhile and I think will give me a much better result in the end. Good luck!
I am only two weeks out but cannot wait for my pt to start. Probably in 4 weeks or so!

Old 09-09-2012, 10:22 AM   #10
(female)

Thanks all for the replies!

I went to the mall where there is a Walking Store and a Sketchers store and I was successful! I found two pairs of Dansko's, one a sandal for an upcoming wedding, and a casual pair for work. The sandals feel amazing, so glad I found them!

At the Sketchers store I found a pair of backless sneakers. It's great to not have my shoe rubbing on the achilles, but it will take some getting used to, they're less rigid in the sole than my sneakers. I do feel like I can get a more natural walking motion in them, so I am not walking with my foot stiff, which is good.

One other question for anyone is about what feels like nerve pain. I get these really uncomfortable zings in the outside of the foot often when I sigh or cough. I am really hoping someone can tell me that this is a temporary thing, it's mostly near the incision on the outer part of my heel. That and the achilles are the most uncomfortable spots right now.

Anyway it's a BIG relief to have some improved footwear! Not having to brace myself for the pain of my sneakers will be a big help.

Old 09-10-2012, 12:49 PM   #11
(female)

Kind of back to discouraged - wearing the new shoes and the backless sneakers are good, because they're making me walk more naturally, but bad, because it's really painful!

My achilles is very swollen and tight and the heel on both sides is aching. Nerve pain continues as well.

Finally stopped putting it off and made a PT appointment for the day after tomorrow, hoping that will help. I am on the verge of calling the doctor because of this pain but a holding out hope that it will start to get better instead of worse.

Thanks again for all the encouragement!

Closed Thread